The Qt Developer Network opens the gates

Published Thursday July 8th, 2010
12 Comments on The Qt Developer Network opens the gates
Posted in News

Two months ago, we introduced the Qt Developer Network. We decided to start with a closed beta phase to iron out the worst quirks and most annoying bugs. We sent out invitations to those who had pre-registered and contacted us directly. During the following weeks we have gathered immensely valuable feedback and lots of meaningful bug reports and suggestions for improvement.

A big thanks to everyone who participated in this first phase, we wouldn’t be where we are today without you!

Time to enter the next phase

BCK - social tagging

Photo by Paula Rey on Flickr

Yesterday late in the afternoon, we rolled out the last missing feature to proceed into public beta: the tagging system.

Most of you are probably familiar with the concept of tagging. Pieces of content can be associated with an unlimited amount of keywords – think flickr – and sorted by said keywords. Our tags work across all types of content – forum threads, wiki pages, FAQ, the blog and static pages for now, eLearning, videos, Qt books and more is planned. Together with the implemented rating system, it will be a blast to find information related to your area of interest.

We think now is the time to open the site to everybody who wants to participate. Although we’re not feature complete yet, we have everything in place to build a great place of Qt knowledge and exchange.

Welcome on board!

PS: Marius has all the details of the latest roll-outs on the DevNet Blog.

Posted in News

prathapdk says:

Hey Alexandra,
Excellent job done! It will definitely prove to be very userful for me. The Qt community is taking it to great heights. I hope to see Qt to be a biggest success ever.
Best Regards,
Prathap

Jan Ekholm says:

Registration doesn’t seem to work though, I just get “Some error occurred!” when trying with various browsers. But perhaps it’s not yet supposed to work?

Alexandra says:

@Prathap Thanks for the compliment. We aim to please. πŸ™‚

@Jan It *should* work, we tested extensively. Did you try to clear the cache?

John says:

Hello,

When I try to login via OpenID, this error is generated.
“Notice

The verified openid does not exist in our system”

Please advise.

-john

scorp1us says:

Liam Neeson: Release the code’n!

Jan Ekholm says:

Alexandra: from home it worked fine and I could register. Earlier I tested with both Firefox and Konqueror and both gave the same error. If those two diametrally different browsers give the same result I tend to believe it. πŸ™‚

Thank you very much for using OpenID!
Are you planning to support OpenID on other Qt sites (like this one)?
That would be fantastic.

Alexandra says:

@John: Sign-up via OpenID doesn’t work so far. We are implementing it and it will be there before we go out of beta. You can however add an OpenID to your account after sign-up. We know it’s not ideal but better than nothing.

@Jan: Thanks, we will investigate what the problem is.

@Piotr: One step at a time but we’re discussing it.

GuidoSeifert says:

I still cannot register. πŸ™
Whatever I do I am told that my provided email do not match. Funny thing is, I can enter my email only once. Am I the only one with this problem?

Alexandra says:

@Guido: It looks like we get some fixes in today or tomorrow. Nobody here could reproduce the issue, so we’re not entirely sure if it’s fixed. If it continues to fail, please send me an email again, I will sign you up. Sorry for the hassle…

GuidoSeifert says:

@Alexandra, no need to be sorry. Bugs happen. πŸ™‚

Cannot even say if it was your or my bug. A few days I tried again, and it worked just fine.
However, I used Konqueror this time and not Firefox. So hard to tell whether it is something you did, or the problem was an unfortunate cookie/javascript/whatever configuration on my side.

@Guido: Well then. Welcome on board! πŸ˜‰