Eike Ziller

Qt Creator 3.3.0 released

Published Wednesday December 10th, 2014
31 Comments on Qt Creator 3.3.0 released
Posted in Qt, QtCreator, Releases

We are happy to announce the Qt Creator 3.3.0 release today. This release comes with a great set of new features as well as a big amount of bug fixes.

I talked about many of the new features and improvements already in the beta release blog post. For today’s release, Alessandro locked himself in his office for a while and created this “What’s new in Qt Creator 3.3” video!

Other features include support for the Gradle build system for Android development, a refactoring action for adopting the new connect style in Qt 5, BareMetal support for CMake projects, and an option to use the Qt Quick Compiler for your Qmake based QML projects. Please also see our change log for a more complete list of changes.

For users of the Professional or Enterprise edition, we added experimental support for running the Clang Static Analyzer on your projects, as a new tool in Analyze mode. The scene graph events category in the QML Profiler has been significantly improved and will now visualize the time ranges of all scene graph related events instead of showing them as a list of numbers. You can also see input events in the QML profiler now, in a separate category. In Qt Quick Designer we added direct editing of TabViews, and additional checks for form files (.ui.qml) as well as buttons for exporting form items for use in the implementation files.

Qt Creator 3.3.0 is part of the installers for Qt 5.4.0, which is also released today.

Both are now available for download on qt.io. Please post issues in our bug tracker. You also can find us on IRC on #qt-creator on irc.freenode.net, and on the Qt Creator mailing list.

Note: With Qt Creator 3.3 we drop support for compiling Qt Creator with Qt 4. The minimal required Qt version to compile Qt Creator itself is currently Qt 5.3.1. This does not affect compilation of your own projects, of course. We still support development of Qt 4-based applications with Qt Creator. If you want to use custom designer plugins in Qt Creator, you must make them compilable with Qt 5 as well, though.

Posted in Qt, QtCreator, Releases

miskol says:

I spend some time with visual studio and xaml designer
I really like design time data in designer.
For example I can preset some design data so designer isn’t full of empty textblock-s and other elements.

For example we could add js method to detect designer so we would be able to set-up values for all ui-element.

Is this possible right now?

Maciej says:

Finally my editor can be all dark 😉 Thanks for this!

Georger says:

I really like the dark theme! I use a custom and I think they look great together.

Thomas Hartmann says:

If you need complex backend data or models, then you can do what is described here: http://blog.qt.io/blog/2011/07/28/mockup-data-for-the-qml-designer/

But with Qt Creator 3.3 we introduced a new ui.qml file format. In this case your code is split into full QML and a subset (in the .ui.qml file) for the designer. Then you can define any values and even models in the .ui.qml file and overwrite those in the qml file that contains the implementation.
See: http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/qtcreator-3.3/creator-quick-ui-forms.html

miskol says:

HGH says:

“This file should only be edited in Design mode.”
How do we add properties then? That’s confusing.

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

It’s a warning that does not prevent you from actually editing the file.

HGH says:

Does gradle support work?

HGH says:

Well, I couldn’t get it working. I guess it just doesn’t.

Lilian says:

Sadly, for me Qt Creator 3.3.0 crashes every time I try to load a project or start a new project…
Is there a version with debug symbols, or I have to compile it myself?

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

On windows you’ll need to compile yourself… on Linux and Mac the backtraces might be helpful even in release.

christoph says:

Thanks for another nice set of features!

Is it too early in the morning or does QtCreator not get any of our include paths (cmake project) anymore? 3.2.1 is fine, with 3.3 I cannot jump to any definition that is not in the same directory (nor is the symbol highlighted).

Christian says:

Same problem here!

FH says:

So cute that the video is 3:30 =)

hawk says:

I think it has many bugs: when I load my project I get crash, text is not visible in “Search for:” with Dark theme, font is jaggy, I cannot change c++ code completion model to Clang, etc …

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

Hi, it would be good if you could create reports for your issues. The dark theme (and the theming in general) is still a bit experimental. Which font is jaggy? Not that you need to enable the ClangCodeModel plugin first (and restart Qt Creator) before the option to use Clang code model is available.

Vladeta says:

Very very slow auto completion with very fast machine and 8G of RAM. I’m back on 3.2.2 (works much better)

Rtype says:

This version has still some problems with HighDPI displays ( I see small fonts in Welcome panel, small Options dialog etc ).

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

HiDPI support for non-OS X is still work in progress in Qt. In Qt 5.4 (which the Qt Creator prebuilt binaries use) adds a QT_DEVICE_PIXEL_RATIO environment variable for use on Windows and X11 (see https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-38858?focusedCommentId=253933&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-253933 )
which you would set to e.g. QT_DEVICE_PIXEL_RATIO=2

aportale says:

Here are more details about HighDPI http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.html
The point about the recommended use of the Fusion style is especially true on Windows. So, make sure you launch qtcreator.exe with parameter -style fusion

HGH says:

I love dark themes but the current one need more work.

Jakub says:

Oh dear…I’m using Qt for like 4-5 years and this version is the most buggy release I have ever seen. Crashes on start, keeps segfaulting when adding new (Qt5.4) kits, switching between sessions on fly doesn’t work and had some more issues…and I have this version since yestarday. I wanted to paste backtrace here but there is char limit for comments.

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

I’m sorry to hear that you have so many problems. Please use our bug tracker at bugreports.qt-project.org for reporting them.

Maurice Kalinowski Maurice Kalinowski says:

@Jakub, please do not use a blog for sending backtraces or similar. It is simply not meant for that. However, we’re eager to get your backtrace and encourage you to create an item in our JIRA at https://bugreports.qt-project.org

Jakub says:

I know that comment board is no place for this, and when I will find some spare time I will add a bug report.
For now I was managed to fix most of the issues with removing entirely user/.config/QtProject and configuring QtCreator from scratch. I have backup of the old configuration though.

Jakub says:

I’m sorry for commenting after my comment but it was temporary fix. The problem is persistent. I filled bugreport:

HGH says:

Why do I have double entries for Visual C++ in autodetected compilers tab? Two for 32 bit and two for 64bit? Is it a bug?

Etam says:

Why are you following this new “flat design” trend? The new qt icon is just ugly. (here is the old one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Qt_logo.svg)

Tim says:

So it seems like Digia’s plan to commercialise Qt is to gradually stop releasing new features as open source. Very similar to what Google is doing with Android.

I understand you need to make money, but some of the witheld features seem quite critical parts, e.g. the QML Compiler. (Although in that case someone else has written their own open source QML compiler.)

Reza says:

Why Qt-Creator’s Help does not working????