Tuukka Turunen

Qt 5.4.2 Released

Published Tuesday June 2nd, 2015
24 Comments on Qt 5.4.2 Released
Posted in Releases

Today we have released Qt 5.4.2, the second patch update to Qt 5.4. In addition to improvements and fixes to Qt functionality it also packs new Qt Creator 3.4.1.

Qt 5.4.2 provides important security fixes for Qt WebEngine WeakDH vulnerability (CVE-2015-4000), DoS vulnerability in the BMP image handler (CVE-2015-0295) as well as security fixes for vulnerabilities in image handling of BMP (CVE-2015-1858), ICO (CVE-2015-1859) and GIF (CVE-2015-1860). Qt 5.4.2 also contains updates to the libpng (to version 1.6.17), the libtiff (to version 4.0.3) and the PCRE library (to version r1530) 3rd party components. These provide fixes to known vulnerabilities and provide general  improvements.

Qt 5.4.2 maintains backward compatibility, both source and binary, with Qt 5.4.1 – but not to Qt 5.4.0, which unfortunately broke binary compatibility on Windows when using MSVC 2012 or MSVC 2013. This binary compatibility break was fixed in Qt 5.4.1, thus Qt 5.4.2 maintains full compatibility with the Qt 5 series (except for Qt 5.4.0).

The full list of important changes can be found from the change files for each module.

The standalone packages of Qt 5.4.2 also include new Qt Creator 3.4.1. See the blog post about Qt Creator 3.4.1 for the main improvements.

Today we have also released a new version 1.3 of the Qt Virtual Keyboard adding support to Japanese and Korean languages, for more info about it please check the Qt Virtual Keyboard 1.3 release blog post.

If you are using online installer, Qt 5.4.2 can be updated using the maintenance tool. Offline packages are found from the Qt Account (for commercial users) and from the qt.io download page (for open-source users).

Posted in Releases

Robin Lobel says:

great !

Nodir says:

Windows Installer shows QtCreator 3.4.0 version in the options to check. Should be 3.4.1

@Nodir: Can you give some more details? This looks to be fine for us. If you are using online installer, maybe there is another update pending that needs to be installed first, or perhaps the mirror you are using is not yet updated with the new content.

Nodir says:

– Launch qt-opensource-windows-x86-msvc2013_opengl-5.4.2.exe
– Welcome – Next
– Installation folder – Next
– Components: Qt -> Tools -> Qt Creator 3.4.0

Dimitar Dobrev says:

I get the same with Qt for Android for Windows. Qt Creator itself shows 3.4.1, though. But if you’re going to update the installer to fix this anyway, would it be possible to regenerate the documentation index (qtcore.index) using the fixes for https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-46034 and https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-46148 ?

Jani Heikkinen Jani Heikkinen says:

unfortunately there is a bug in offline installer definitions & that’s why it shows wrong version for QtCreator (affects to all offline installers, not just windows ones). This is added to the known issues page

Jeroen says:

When updating I got the same error as described at

(qt.54.win32_mingw491)

zlutor says:

yes, there is problem with MinGW 4.9.1 (32 bit) Open GL install on Windows 7 67bit…

:-(

Kai Koehne Kai Koehne says:

Sorry to hear that you both have issues. I can’t reproduce the problem with the MinGW offline installer though.

Could you launch the installer with –verbose, and attach the output to a bug report at bugreports.qt.io, or report it via Qt Support? You could also try whether installing vcredist for 2013 in advance (e.g. from http://download.qt.io/development_releases/prebuilt/vcredist/vcredist_msvc2013_x86.7z) helps.

Update: We could reproduce the issue and are working on a fix: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-14545

zlutor says:

with latest updates it works fine! Thx

Scorp1us says:

Mobile users beware. If you were capturing photos happily using 5.4.1, you will not be happy with this release. The trolls reverted the change that made image capture work properly. You will have to wait for 5.5.0, which has the same behavior as 5.4.1.

So if doing image capture on any mobile device DO NOT USE THIS VERSION.

Allan Jensen says:

Just so we are clear, we are talking about the EXIF orientation extension to JPEG. Which is only used if the device is marking orientation lazy instead of rotating the image itself (designed for old low-memory digital cameras)

Note, the behavior in 5.5 is not exactly like 5.4.1, it is opt-in. You need to set the autoTransform flag, otherwise EXIF-tagged JPEG images will be rendered exactly like 5.4.0 and earlier Qt versions. The problem in 5.4.1 was not the feature, the problem was the change in default behavior, which is why it was reverted.

Arthur Turrini says:

I’ve got a Qt license (indie developer), but after update, some tools (uic for example) are displaying:

Qt 5.4.2 Evaluation License
Copyright (C) 2015 Digia Plc and/or its subsidiary(-ies).
This trial version may only be used for evaluation purposes
Registered to:
Licensee: builder

The evaluation expires in 7915 days

Contact http://qt.digia.com/contact-us for pricing and purchasing information.

Jani Heikkinen Jani Heikkinen says:

@Arthur: Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the issue you reported. Could you sent more information about your setup (Full environment details, your license key, installation log from installation root directory) to qt-releases@digia.com, thanks!

Arthur Turrini says:

Pretty nice to exclude all my comments. None of them have been harsh or offensive, and this is the second time it happens.

@Arthur: No-one is excluding comments unless they are offensive. As the comments are moderated, there is delay before they are published. Very rarely spam filter may eat comments if it considers them to be spam. I did not see any comments by you in spam (and the ones I looked really were spam).

Tim says:

On your reset-password page for the Qt account it says:

We have sent password reset link to your email if an corresponding account was found. If you do not receive it within few minutes, please check your spam and junk filters.

This is needlessly confusing – just tell me if I haven’t got an account! What do you think is more likely – that someone tries to use forget-password when they actually never signed up for an account, or that anyone cares at all ever if anyone else has signed up for an account.

Plus the imagined security benefits of not telling me if I have an account don’t even exist because the create-account page will tell you!!! Arghhhh!

Joy says:

What does it mean “If you are using online installer, Qt 5.4.2 can be updated using the maintenance tool. Offline packages are found from the Qt Account (for commercial users) and from the qt.io download page (for open-source users).”? Whey I try to update for my CentOS linux with the yum installer, it claims my installed one is the latest version. When I try to download from the download page, it keeps asking for my information – even if I’m already logged-in, and go to the download page from my account.

Kniebou says:

I just updated to 5.4.2, and all my texts look ugly. It seems to be related to these bugs :

My texts look fuzzy as in the screenshots in the mentioned bug reports.

Is there a way to get back to 5.4.1 ?

@Kniebou: You can re-install 5.4.1 with offline installer.

Kniebou says:

Yes, that’s what I did. I also tried with Qt 5.5 beta, and the bug is still here. I’d like to report the bug, but I don’t know if I should add a comment in one of the bug reports I mentioned in my previous comment, or report it as a new bug.

Kniebou says:

@Tuukka Turunen: Sorry, I forgot to thank you for your answer. So thank you !! :)

zack says:

Can you please add the actual used compiler version for the certain pre builds? E.g. for the Visual Studio Build, which update was used, update 3 or 4?

mayssa says:

hello , i have installed QT 5.4.2 opengl but when i compiled my project , i found a problem about the compiler , “qt creator needs a compiler set up to build. configure the compiler in the kit option ” plz help !