Eike Ziller

Qt Creator 3.5.0 released

Published Thursday August 20th, 2015
40 Comments on Qt Creator 3.5.0 released
Posted in Dev Loop, Qt, QtCreator, Releases

We are happy to announce the release of Qt Creator 3.5.0.

The most apparent new feature in this version is probably the highlighting that we added to the editors’ vertical scroll bars. You can now easily see where
bookmarks, breakpoints, warnings, errors and search results are located in the open document.

We also improved the performance of the global searches in Qt Creator. While the code model based searches like Find Usages were always multi-threaded, that wasn’t the case for the purely text based searches, which is fixed now.

Qt Creator’s own C++ code model received many fixes, for example for many issues with templates again. There also was much progress with the Clang based code model, which is now running in a separate process, which should make us safer from bugs in Clang itself. We also upgraded our binary packages to use Clang 3.6.

Since Qt Quick 1 was succeeded by Qt Quick 2 in Qt 5 and is now officially deprecated in Qt 5.5, we removed support for Qt Quick 1 from Qt Quick Designer. We also removed the Qt Quick 1 wizards and support for profiling with V8. The visual designer for Qt Quick 2, the code editor for Qt Quick 1 and 2, and profiling of Qt Quick 2 from Qt 5.2 and later and of Qt Quick 1 are not affected.

We also removed support for BlackBerry 10 development, lacking a maintainer. QNX development is not affected by this.

On Windows, we fixed an issue that could lead to Qt Creator sometimes freezing for some seconds when a user application was running. On Linux, we fixed a performance issue when Qt Creator was compiled with journald support. For Android development, we fixed issues with Android M, 64 bit, and Google AVDs.

Of course this is just a very small excerpt of the full list of changes. Please have a look at our change log for more details. Many thanks go to all the contributors that made this release happen!

You find the opensource version on the Qt download page, and commercially licensed packages on the Qt Account Portal. Please post issues in our bug tracker. You can also find us on IRC on #qt-creator on irc.freenode.net, and on the Qt Creator mailing list.

Posted in Dev Loop, Qt, QtCreator, Releases

Marco Piccolino says:

Thank you for the improvements. Looking forward to installing it.

Blue Sky says:

Is it now possible to compile the creator on a raspberry pi?

Donald says:

What has been the barrier to this in the past, other than the excruciating amount of time it will take?

Blue Sky says:

I got always errors building the botan 3rdparty lib.

Blue Sky says:

Just found this:

Status: Abandoned

So no, it will most likely not compile on the RPi. What a bummer.

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

That patch was targeting 3.1 and the owner didn’t follow up on the comments.
It doesn’t look like there were any principle problems, so I don’t think there would be problems if someone proposed a patch to fix that.

HGH says:

When will be released the all in one packages with Qt Creator 3.5?
The problem is the online installer cannot handle behind a firewall installation.

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

For now there are the Qt Creator standalone packages and the online update. The Qt 5.5.1 installers will ship Qt Creator 3.5.x.

Kai Koehne Kai Koehne says:

Please try with the newest online installer (2.0.2-2). The proxy issues should’ve been fixed.

HGH says:

The dark theme on Windows (the wizzards) still does not work properly. That’s disappointing. (It does so on Linux).

Scorp1us says:

Is there a way to have the new Creator pick up the Qt versions and kits the same as when Creator is bundled with a Qt version?

An export/import or just better auto-detection would help immensely.

HGH says:

In previous versions creating a link as described below did the trick in Qt 3.4 it wouldn’t work. I haven’t tried in Qt 3.5

As it is currently, you can only hack that by symlinking /share/qtcreator/QtProject/
(or Qt Creator.app/Contents/Resources/QtProject/ on OS X) to the same path within your standalone Qt Creator

Example (Windows):
C:\Qt\qtcreator-3.2.82\share\qtcreator>mklink /d QtProject c:\qt\Tools\QtCreator\share\qtcreator\QtProject

Gunnar Roth says:

I just copied the QtProject folder from QtCreatoror in qt 5.5 to share/qtcreator folder of my Qt Creator 3.5.0 installation. All docs , examples and kits of qt 5.5.0 appear then.

Scorp1us says:

I don’t see the option to download 3.5 I only see Qt creator pre-preleases, which is blank.

An Tran says:

Hi Eike,
There is a annoying bug for me since a long time. Pls check it out https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-14944

Slartibart says:

Good to se anothere release and some much appreciated features, but I hope the next “big thing” you’ll start working on is improving the lag between typing and text appearing/being styled in the text editor. The undo is a good demonstratoin of this, if you hold down CTRL/CMD+Z to undo lots of edits you’ll watch a painfully slow slideshow with random stops and and bumps. And when using find (CTRL/CMD+F) you have to _wait_ a bit and then type your search keyword, otherwise you end up editing your code instead (!!).

This is seriously the biggest anoyance I have with the editor and means tha despite all the benefits Creator has with keyword lookup etc I still use an editor on the side when I write large chunks of code, and mpstly just use Creators editor for debugging and smal patchups.

Martin says:

There is already an issue for that problem. You can vote on it if you like.

efendioglu says:

Hello, after update to 3.5 I don´t see the markers in the vertical scrollbar. I have the old scrollbar the changes are markes beneath the linenumbers….

Mohamed Selim says:

I would like to bring your attention to the fact that, after trying Qt Creator 3.5.0 64bit on Linux Ubuntu 15.04 64bit along with Qt 5.4.2 x64 gcc.
I’ve noticed that Qt Creator sometimes freezing for some seconds while editing code, other times freezing for ever till the Qt Creator process is closed.

Jared says:

I get similar problems, but it isn’t just this version. I think it may be a bug in qt and not qtcreator since any recent version I build with qt 5.5 has this behavior.

Dan Gendreau says:

I would like to repeat past requests that you please add an option for a Metal-Scroll / Rock-Scroll-like Scrollbar to Qt Creator. (possibly as a plugin?)

Konstantin Isakov says:

After the upgrade from 3.4, Alt-Left/Right no longer work for navigation (GoForward/GoBack commands). Apparently they conflict with Help Next/Previous commands, which are bound to the same keys. However, I believe that has always been the default and it worked just fine previously, since help/code contexts don’t overlap. Now it doesn’t. Is that a bug, or were the defaults changed?

Gyll says:

Just a question: did anybody try to install Creator 3.5 on Win XP? On my XP laptop it opens with an empty black window which doesn’t even show the menus. I know XP is no longer supported, but 3.4.1 (the last version i tried) works just fine, so maybe there’s a problem here? Just asking, maybe somebody tried it on XP and can reply to this.

Diapolo says:

Same problem here on Win81, after opening up Qt Creator 3.5 I just see a black window (with corners and window titlebar shown). I compiled it by myself with Qt 5.5.0 and MinGW.

Diapolo says:

Oh and by the way 3.4.2 is working on the same machine with the same dependency versions…

Gyll says:

I tried to change the video settings to “disable all DirectDraw and Direct3D acceleration” and then when i start Creator an error message pops up several times “The procedure entry point strnlen could not be located in in msvcrt.dll”, and then Creator starts. I didn’t want to mess up my projects so i didn’t reconfigure them for the new version of Creator and thus i don’t know if Creator actually works, but it does display its main window properly with the video acceleration turned off, so apparently there’s a problem in Qt core with the video acceleration. My system is quite old, but i assume yours is pretty new if you have win8 on it, so i guess we should file a bug report over this issue.

Diapolo says:

I also think we should open a bug report on https://bugreports.qt.io. I’m happy to do that and will post the link to it here, so you can add your observations!

Hawk says:

It seems to be much slower than 3.4.1:/

Jakub says:

Hi, I have also noted that QTCreator 3.5.0 is much slower than the previous version I was using (3.4.1). Unfortunately this is so annoying that I will go back to 3.4.1.

Jared says:

I know this isn’t the place to post it but I don’t have enough information to post a bug and don’t want to post my project files.

Anyway, I’m getting a consistent crash where there’s an infinite loop when the c++ code model is being built. I’m filling up the callstack with cycles of:

Which then cycles back.

Nikolai says:

> I don’t have enough information to post a bug and don’t want to post my project files.

Note that you could isolate the bug by removing unnecessary include directives and surrounding irrelevant code. This takes a bit of time, though.

> Is there any way to turn off template parsing? I think that may give me an interim solution.

No, that’s hard coded. You could try to enable the clang code model and see if that helps..

Hernan Martinez says:

High DPI support, finally !

Igor S. says:

Does it also have version control highlighting on bars, similar to Netbeans’?

Joe says:

When will the clang model actually work on Windows? It still does not.

Nikolai says:

What exactly does not work for you? Please report at https://bugreports.qt.io/

Joe says:

As soon as I switch to clang code model, the code coloring becomes broken in some cases, and auto completion just doesn’t work at all.

Vladeta says:

We will have to wait for some new version. SSH fix broken our target connection.
Could not connect to host: SSH Protocol error: Server requested invalid combination of key exchange and hashing algorithms. Key exchange algorithm list was: ecdh-sha2-nistp256, ecdh-sha2-nistp384, ecdh-sha2-nistp521, diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256, diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1, diffie-hellman-group14-sha1, diffie-hellman-group1-sha1.
Hashing algorithm list was hmac-md5, hmac-sha1, umac-64@openssh.com, hmac-ripemd160, hmac-ripemd160@openssh.com, hmac-sha1-96, hmac-md5-96.
Is the device connected and set up for network access?

DimanNe says:

Clang code model – is your killer feature. thanks.