Tuukka Turunen

Qt 5.5.1 Released

Published Thursday October 15th, 2015
57 Comments on Qt 5.5.1 Released
Posted in Dev Loop, Releases

Today we have released Qt 5.5.1, the first update to Qt 5.5. In addition to improvements and fixes to Qt functionality, it also packs in new Qt Creator 3.5.1.

Qt 5.5.0 released in July introduced many new features and refinements to existing functionality, and the Qt 5.5.1 patch release provides close to 1.000 improvements and fixes on top of it. One of the key drivers for Qt 5.5 has been quality and maturity and we have continued to address items reported by the Qt users with Qt 5.5.1. I am really happy about all the feedback and especially all the contributions we have received.

Qt WebEngine in Qt 5.5.1 includes a couple of security fixes for known vulnerabilities. The list of important changes in Qt 5.5.1 can be found from the change logs. Note that only the most important items are listed in the change logs, for full list of changes it is best to check the git logs.

The Qt 5.5.1 packages also include new Qt Creator 3.5.1. See Qt Creator 3.5.1 change log for the main improvements.

The Qt for Device Creation embedded Linux stack has been updated to use Qt 5.5.1. Support for a new reference device: Kontron SMARC-sAMX6i has also been added. Furthermore, Qt Virtual Keyboard version 1.3.1 is also released today, as well as a technology preview of Qt Virtual Keyboard 2.0.

If you are using the online installer, Qt 5.5.1 and Creator 3.5.1 can be updated using the maintenance tool. Offline packages are available for commercial users in the Qt Account portal and at qt.io/download for open-source and commercial evaluation users.

Posted in Dev Loop, Releases

Albrecht says:

Hi, I see that VS 2015 builds for Windows are not here yet. Am I wrong or something was told some weeks ago about supporting VS 2015 builds? Just asking because we plan to update our toolchain and we will keep it stable for the next couple of years.

@Albrecht: Pre-built binaries for VS2015 are coming with Qt 5.6.

David says:

So nothing until december… and with qt 5.6 no more QtWebview binary …

QF says:

Sorry, but this is really sad. VS2015 has been out for ages, and RC for even longer. Very bad management of priorities in my opinion.

Gremwell says:

I agree. VS2015 was released in July with many months of RCs to make things work. Yet we are still hanging out for VS2015.

rybamaxik says:

Sorry, but how VS2015 could be “out for ages”, if RTM of it was released 20 July 2015?

QF says:

That’s nearly 3 months, to produce prebuilt binaries for one of the major platforms – the major platform on Windows.
Plus three (I think) more months of RC to make sure things work. More than half a year in total. Yes, that’s “ages”, if you’re using VS2015.

Simon Wu says:

5.5.1 doesn’t support v2015 is really a bad news.However,I still appreciate QT contribute so much on cross-platform development.Hope everything goes better.

Gregory says:

I wrote a small article detailing how I got Qt 5.5.1 (with QtWebkit) compiled with Visual Studio 2015

Hope that helps.

Claudio Junior says:

I waiting 3 months to start work with qt in vs2015. I not will install vs2013… or ill try make apps with universal project of vs2015 and mistake qt.

Max says:

Oh…no…that’s sad…

Maurice Kalinowski Maurice Kalinowski says:

@(all_MSVC2015_requests):

It is true that we do not provide binary packages for Visual Studio 2015 with the current Qt 5.5.1 release.

However this does not imply that Visual Studio 2015 is not supported. In fact it is, admittedly without providing binary packages.

If you download the source package from the installer or from git, you can easily build Qt for Visual Studio 2015 manually based on the existing documentation.

Gregory says:

@Maurice Kalinowski It seems the WordPress / server setup can’t handle large comments…

Please see http://pastebin.com/TVKhbWPH for my reply to your “you can easily build Qt for Visual Studio 2015 manually based on the existing documentation” remark.

Maurice Kalinowski Maurice Kalinowski says:

@Gregory,

you might be correct that I was a bit too optimistic in case you are not aware of the dependencies. I tend to forward interested people to http://wiki.qt.io/Building_Qt_5_from_Git usually, as that mentions also all dependencies.

In regards to ICU, you do not need ICU for WebKit, can you please point me where that is written? WebKit has its own ICU and you can also build the rest of Qt without ICU.

Gregory says:

@Maurice

The Qt for Windows – Requirements page says:

At compile time, the include and lib folders of the ICU installation must be appended to the INCLUDE and LIB environment variables. At run-time, the ICU DLLs need to be found by copying the DLLs to the application folder or by adding the bin folder of the ICU installation to the PATH environment variable

Also, the Building Qt 5 from Git page says:

You can download the precompiled ICU packages from icu-project.org (MSVC 2010 only), or see Compiling-ICU to compile your own.

I hardly understood there’s no need to compile it by myself :)

David says:

I think non updated documentation is the key here, documentation was written for the first build of Qt 5 and now with recent build, ANGLE and ICU are no more needed because these are now included in Qt ; as for the possibility to compile for Visual studio 2015, there are no documentation saying it’s ok to build Qt5.5.1.

Gregory says:

@Maurice and David

Again, I’m replying you through pastebin because the blog cannot take large comments… Can you tell IT or the webmaster to fix that please?

See my follow up here: http://pastebin.com/dYFaxiuM

@Gregory: Maximum size of a comment was limited to 1000 characters, so your comment was just slightly above the threshold. We have now changed the limit to 2000 characters. It is not desired to have very long comments to keep the readability.

Albrecht says:

@Gregory

Thanks for the guide you wrote: it would be nice to have it completed and included into Qt documentation.
It appears that many of us find a VS 2015 build quite useful! :)

Stefan Sommerfeld says:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-46552 seems not be mentioned in changelog. This was/is a very critical bug which breaks udp functionality in Qt5.4.2 and Qt5.5.0

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-39453 still open for a long time :(

Alexander says:

This very critical bug is also unmentioned in the change-log https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-47011

Looks like networking was pretty much broken with Qt 5.5.0

Gery Emreis says:

Hi, when trying to update, maintenence tool fails with error “Hash verification while downloading failed..”

@Gery: There is SHA1 mismatch found at least from 32bit Linux. All was fine when we tested just before the release… We are looking into why and will fix as soon as we can. If there is more info, please provide in the bug report about this: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-48781.

Tod says:

I’m also getting a “Hash verification while downloading failed.” several dozen times for “‘1.1.1-0qtwebview-enterprise-src-1.1.1.7z’ for component: Qt WebView Src” but it eventually kept going. Why does this happen?

Jani Heikkinen Jani Heikkinen says:

Hi Tod. it seems mirrors didn’t synch properly in time. We are investigating why this happened.

MrBlueSky says:

I get hash verification errors with the qt5.5.1 essentials package.

HGH says:

MinGW 5.x 64bit??? Is that possible to happen in 5.6?

Rainer says:

But please maintain the 32 bit offline installer version, even when it has a “w64” in it (qt-enterprise-windows-x86-mingw-w64-492-5.5.1.exe)!

HGH says:

Why do we need 32 bit version in 21st century?

Flavio says:

We need 32bit because people are still using Windows XP and 32 bit versions of Vista and Windows 7.

Chris Chiesa says:

I for one have been trying to find time to get around to trying Qt, since I first heard of it five or six years ago. I am still running several old 32-bit machines including the one where I would probably first start playing with Qt. So, yes, I would like to see a 32-bit version. I have tons more questions about how to set it up and use it, more suited to the early 2000s than today; may I ask where an appropriate forum can be found? (Yes, I know, “Google” — but your just telling me would be faster than my having to try to find it.)

RP says:

Trying to update using the maintenance tools and kept getting “hash verification failed please try again”. This happens both on Mac and Windows, uhh…

iieklund says:

There have been mirror sync issues for the Qt Creator online repository:

Pushing a new version of the online repository ongoing to force re-sync for the mirrors.

MrBlueSky says:

Is the cause of this problem solved?

I mean this problem is reoccuring with every Qt (update-)release for me.

Jani Heikkinen Jani Heikkinen says:

From where/which country you are trying to download? Root cause of the issue is that mirroring takes time and we cannot speed it up :( We are trying to get things ready & under mirroring early enough but it seems there is always some issues somewhere.

NoName says:

What about the full windows 10 support which you announced in https://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/04/29/windows-10-support-in-qt/

Adrian Gabureanu says:

I too was expecting Windows 10 support. But most likely it was meant for 5.5.2, which was scrapped. Hopefully they will support Windows 10 universal apps starting with the 5.6 beta.

For 5.6 it has been announced that “Windows Store apps are now composited inside a XAML layer, allowing for better integration with the native UI layer”. That would make adding XAML ad banners possible. I’ve also noticed that adding in-app purchases is doable. So maybe 5.6 will be more mature than a 5.5.2 and it will be worth the wait.

Alexander says:

Qt Creator update and Online installer on Linux 32bit is broken. Always fails with hash verification error.

David says:

Hash verification failing in Windows as well (windows 10)

iieklund says:

We have recently re-pushed the Qt Creator and WebView online repositories into production. There has been sync issues with the mirrors.

Please see:

Michael says:

Same error with OSX QT download: “Hash verification while downloading failed”

This component keeps retrying:

Downloading archive ‘1.1.1-0examples_qtwebview.7z.sha1’ for component: Qt WebView

redcup says:

The same error on Linux_64 keeps popping up.

Downloading archive ‘1.1.1-0qtwebview-enterprise-src-1.1.1.7z’ for component: Qt WebView Src

VG says:

Hi there. I just downloaded the last offline version (qt-opensource-windows-x86-msvc2013_64-5.5.1.exe) for windows. Unfortunately i am not able to install the package because i am behind a proxy and i cannot see an option to enter the proxy information. Can you please help me ? Thank you so much

VG says:

Problem solved. I pressed the “Skip” button and installation has been successive.

VG says:

i meant successful :)

eric says:

Is an upgrade to the 4.8.7 installer will come so it can install on Mac OS X.11?

M. Serebrennikov says:

New update 5.5.1 broke running QML code in OS X. It write: “module “QtQuick.Controls” is not installed”.

M. Serebrennikov says:

This happened after update 5.5.0 to 5.5.1. When I did clean install all works fine.

Jani Heikkinen Jani Heikkinen says:

Good that you get your problem solved. Could you please write an error report about the issue (with details) in Jira? It would help us to study the issue.

M. Serebrennikov says:

No, I can’t.
I can’t find link to Jira bug-tracker. Navigation in the site is very very very bad. :(

Firat says:

Can you delete previous comment? File paths should not it be there:

QQmlApplicationEngine failed to load component
qrc:/main.qml:2 module “QtQuick.Controls” is not installed
qrc:/main.qml:4 module “QtQuick.Dialogs” is not installed
qrc:/main.qml:2 module “QtQuick.Controls” is not installed
qrc:/main.qml:4 module “QtQuick.Dialogs” is not installed

Alex says:

If you request msvc2013 32-bit build, you get msvc2010 build instead. I wonder if you switched to Volkswagen (https://github.com/auchenberg/volkswagen) for testing 😉

Alex says:

Also, 5.5.1 isn’t installed properly and hence can’t be used on OS X 10.11.

Matthias says:

changelog is not working… it shows “invalid branch”…