Eike Ziller

Qt Creator 3.6.0 released

Published Tuesday December 15th, 2015
28 Comments on Qt Creator 3.6.0 released
Posted in Biz Circuit & Dev Loop, Qt, QtCreator, Releases

We are happy to announce the release of Qt Creator 3.6.0.

This release includes a big contribution: An editor for UML-style diagrams. It is in experimental state and needs to be turned on through Help > About Plugins > ModelEditor. Since it features too many diagram types and element styles to even scratch on in this blog post, I’ll not even try and just refer you to the documentation. Many thanks to Jochen Becher!

Clang Fix-it integrationThe Clang based C/C++ code model received many improvements. The Clang Fix-its are now integrated into Qt Creator’s refactoring actions. We turned on more warnings, and show the warning or error and the context in which it occurs in different styles. You can configure which warnings are shown in the C++ > Code Model options.

Qt Quick Designer now has an action for switching between a .ui.qml file and the usage in the corresponding .qml file, similar to the Switch Source/Form action in Qt Designer for widgets. We also made the previously commercial-only connection editor and path editor available to all users.

QMake projects got a build configuration type for profiling (release with separate debug symbols). CMake projects got build configuration types for Debug, Release, ReleaseWithDebugInfo and MinSizeRelease. On OS X you can now choose if Qt Creator should consider the file system as case-sensitive or case-insensitive (Preferences > Environment > System). There have been many more improvements and fixes. Please refer to our change log for a more detailed overview.

You find the opensource version on the Qt download page, and commercially licensed packages on the Qt Account Portal. If you are evaluating Qt you can go straight to http://www.qt.io/download/. Please post issues in our bug tracker. You can also find us on IRC on #qt-creator on irc.freenode.net, and on the Qt Creator mailing list.

Note: Starting with Qt Creator 3.6 we no longer provide prebuilt binaries for Linux 32-bit. Building Qt Creator on that platform is still supported though.

Posted in Biz Circuit & Dev Loop, Qt, QtCreator, Releases

Patrice says:

Is it possible to use clang code model to have warning and error in the editor and continue to use qtcreator completion (for me clang completion is unusable beacaus it is too slow) ?

Thanks

Andreas says:

If you experienced the clang code-model as slow due to https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-15365. That bug has been marked as fixed for 3.6.0, so it might be worth trying it out again

Patrice says:

Ha !!!

thank you. I’ve not tested since 3.6rc1. It is much better and now usable.
It is so fast as qtcreator completion.

Den says:

Crushing on windows when click alt-left to resize window, then click maximaze button

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

Please use our bug tracker https://bugreports.qt.io/

Mark Liversedge says:

This is absolutely fantastic guys.

Knowing how you develop things I’m really looking forward to seeing;

a) class models created from src (with relationships and methods)

b) sequence diagrams

Exciting times
Mark

Jochen Becher says:

I have both features on my list but both features are not easy to implement.

For sequence diagrams I must implement swim lanes, new type of objects with new layout behavior and easy methods to modify the layout.

The reverse engineering of a code model I had done in the past (for Enterprise Architect) so I hope I can reuse a bit of code from that old source. But still it is a lot of work to do.

So please be patient. I already have a long list of features that I need to implement for 3.7.

Jochen

ooo says:

Clang completion works great now, it’s fast for me (pretty much instant).

And the configurable clang options for the warnings are very welcome.

Thanks for such a great IDE!

Martin Kutny says:

The model editor is a very nice addition to an already feature complete IDE.
Any plans for state chart diagrams? Would be an absolute blast if it could generate / sync with Qt State Machine framework code.

Jochen Becher says:

Many of the features needed for a state chart diagram can be implementing using custom stereotyped items and a state chart toolbar. I will try to release one with QtCreator 3.7 (or earlier on Wiki page ModelEditor) but you can also try yourself. Look into the documentation how to define customized items.

Nick Voronkin says:

Qt 5.6 being include 32-bit Qt Creator 3.6?

avb says:

I tried the clang code model for the first time and I really like the tooltip warnings and errors in the editor.

Nikolai says:

> But to search online for a certain warning or error is quite inconvenient because I have to hover over the warning to get the tooltip and then retype the message in the browser.

We will probably display the clang command line option that is responsible for the generated diagnostic in the tooltip so it can be added to the options.

> Is there a way to get the warnings and errors in the Issues pane so that I can right click it an select ‘Get Help Online’ like it is possible with build issues?

No, that’s not possible right now. We need to ponder a bit more over this.

robert somerville says:

Hi : I like the speed !

Changing variables values in “locals and expressions” seems to be broken, I cannot change the values ! I just retried in 3.5 a second ago, and no problems to change the variable values …

André says:

A regression that went unnoticed. Sorry for that. It’s fixed in both master and 3.6 branches, i.e. as workaround any recent nightly build (https://download.qt.io/snapshots/qtcreator/) should do. Alternatively, you could use the one you have installed with LLDB as backend.

robert somerville says:

Great: works much better !! Its now a winning product , for sure 😉

Dont Care says:

Can you please package (and maintain) a Nix package for qtcreator which works on Mac OSX?

HGH says:

Why doesn’t the Clang code model like this:

engine.load(QUrl(QStringLiteral(“qrc:/main.qml”)));

And how can it be fixed?

This is what the suggested fix produced:

engine.load(QUrl({)));

Alan says:

I really want to use Qt Creator 3.6.0, but it just doesn’t work for me on OS X with CMake + Ninja. So, I thought I would revert to Qt Creator 3.5.1, but… I can’t find it anymore? http://www.qt.io/download-open-source/#section-2 only lists 3.6.0…

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

Our archive is here: https://download.qt.io/official_releases/qtcreator/

Alan says:

Thanks, Eike, I did eventually find 3.5.1, and it still doesn’t work for me, so it’s not a 3.6.0 issue per se.

I get the feeling that something went wrong when I upgraded to 3.6.0. Indeed, when I upgraded (using the maintenance tool), the installer told me everything was fine when in fact 3.6.0 wasn’t installed (and 3.5.1 had been deleted, by the maintenance tool, in the meantime).

From there, I thought I would install the standalone 3.6.0 and indeed I can now run Qt Creator, but for some reasons it doesn’t work with CMake + Ninja. Everything was working fine with 3.5.1, so I thought I would move back to it, but it doesn’t make any difference.

I think it’s time for me to completely uninstall Qt + Qt Creator, and reinstall everything afresh…

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

You can start with trying to reset Qt Creator settings: http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-faq.html#general-questions
(make a copy in case it doesn’t help 😉 )

Alan says:

Ok, that kind of helped. I can now use make, but still not ninja, while I couldn’t use either before.

Cristian says:

Have a look at your *.user file, see if “CMakeProjectManager.CMakeBuildConfiguration.UseNinja” is set to false.

See https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-15164

Alan says:

Ok, back on track with CMake 3.6.0 + CMake + Ninja. So, just for the record, after my initial upgrade to 3.6.0, the Qt kit I was using had its ‘Environment’ setting reset, which means that Qt Creator (through CMake) couldn’t find Ninja. I have reset the ‘Environment’ setting and I can, once again, build my project using CMake + Ninja, and this using Qt Creator 3.6.0. Yeah! :)

Miklos Marton says:

Nice job guys! Thank you for your efforts and good work!

Daniel N says:

In the previous version I experienced very slow code completion when I included the Eigen library. Any change that this will be better in the new version?
Daniel