Jani Heikkinen

Qt 5.6.0 Release Candidate Available

Published Tuesday February 23rd, 2016
35 Comments on Qt 5.6.0 Release Candidate Available
Posted in Qt, Releases

I am happy to announce that Qt 5.6.0 Release Candidate is finally available!

Please download it and take a tour. With the RC, Qt 5.6 is very close to final release and all feedback is welcome to ensure the best possible 5.6.0 release:

More information about Qt 5.6.0 release can be found from Qt 5.6.0 new features page, Qt 5.6 Beta blog post or from the Qt Documentation snapshot.

If you have existing online installation, you can update Qt 5.6.0 RC by using maintenance tool. You can also download new installers (online or offline) from the Qt Account (for commercial users) or from download.qt.io.

Print this pageEmail this to someoneShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

Posted in Qt, Releases

NoName says:

Great news !!!

ekke says:

great to hear.
I started evaluating Qt with Qt 5.6 Beta and downloaded installer for Android and iOS.
what’s the recommended way ?
delete existing installation and download RC for Android and iOS
or can I update existing installation ?
thx for info

Jani Heikkinen Jani Heikkinen says:

Beta was released only through offline installers so there is no way to update that installation to RC. So you need to do new installation.

HGH says:

Is there a Qt Addin for VS2015 yet?

avb says:

I found this:

Isn’t this what you are looking for?

Or did I got something wrong?

Oliver Wolff says:

Hi,

at the moment there is no Add-In that supports VS 2015. Microsoft deprecated Add-Ins for VS2015, so we have to come up with an integration for that and are currently looking into ways on how to implement that and which functionality is mandatory and what is a “nice to have”. The discussion can be followed (and taken part in) here https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTVSADDINBUG-404

HGH says:

Then it is time to redesign it. I had multiple issues with it so I fell back to Qt Creator most of the time.
qbs support would be great. I use qbs extensively even for non Qt projects.

I want to use the addin now because of the VS2015 debugger.

HGH says:

For me it would be enough if somehow Qt Creator can start and use VS’s debugger as an alternative.

Eugene Petrenko says:

Great news! Thanks!

Updated to the -rc build. On Mac OS it no longer able to find QtWebEngineProcess. So app fails in start. It used to work before updating to the RC.

Is there something that is changed from the beta to check?

Jani Heikkinen Jani Heikkinen says:

Please write an bug report in bugreports.qt.io to be able to study this

Dexter says:

cannot build on windows because of configure.exe missing

Dexter says:

cannot build on Windows because configure.exe missing which is available on 5.6.0 beta and 5.5.1

Jani Heikkinen Jani Heikkinen says:

Which package you are using? configure.exe should be in .zip src package

CJ says:

+1 on VSAddIn, even if all it does is provide debug extensions so we can see the content of a QString, QList, etc.

Oliver Wolff says:

Hi,

even though there is no Add-In for Visual Studio 2015 yet, you can find the .natvis file which can be used to visualize Qt types in Visual Studio 2012, 2013 and 2015 attached to https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTVSADDINBUG-404

Oleg Yadrov says:

Please do something about this before final 5.6 release: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-50941

Jani Heikkinen Jani Heikkinen says:

Unfortunately the bug is p2 & weren’t blocking the RC so it won’t be fixed in Qt 5.6.0 Final either: We are taking in only blocker fixes between RC and final. Fix can be in Qt 5.6.1

Thomas says:

What’s the deal with MSVC 2015 and Windows? Does the ‘X’ in configurations mean the Windows 8 is not supported?

Maurice Kalinowski says:

I assume you are talking about https://wiki.qt.io/Qt-5.6.0-tools-and-versions ?

Indeed that table looks a bit chaotic. Of course you can use VS2015 on WIndows 8 for desktop (classic) development.

However, for WinRT the situation is that Windows 8.1 uses MSVC2013 and Windows 10 has MSVC2015 as a requirement. Even if you install MSVC2015 and target Windows 8.1 (WinRT) it will use the msvc2013 compilers, also for Windows Phone.

Firat says:

is android armv5 supporting anymore?
I didn’t see any where about this…

Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt says:

The prebuilt packages in Qt 5.6 only contains armv7 and x86 binaries for Android. It is still possible to build armv5 binaries manually. Please let us know if there are any issues with this.

asti says:

i’m missing the sql odbc plugin?

Jani Heikkinen Jani Heikkinen says:

This is known issue, see QTBUG-49420

asti says:

Bug 49420 seems to be mingw related.

I’m using msvc2013, there the plugin is also not available

Thomas V says:

Hi, with the Linux 32-bit online installer (commercial) I do not get a Qt 5.6 (RC) option, only up to 5.5. I do get the 5.6 (RC) option on OSX.

Linux box:
Ubuntu 15.10
32-bit

If I try the Linux 32 bit Open-Source full installer I do get an encoding error.
What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks, Thomas

Jani Heikkinen Jani Heikkinen says:

Unfortunately we aren’t offering pre-built binaries for Linux 32bit anymore with Qt 5.6.0.

Alexander says:

Any reasons for dropping 32bit Linux?

Btw. I think it would be great if you add Linux binaries for armv7. RaspberryPi, BeagleBone and Co. are on the rise.

Jani Heikkinen Jani Heikkinen says:

According to download statistics usage of 32 bit linux pre-build binaries were decreasing all the time & we decided it is now time to stop delivering those. Of course users can still compile qt for linux 32 bit from sources, we just stop delivering pre-build binaries.

Viironen Kalle Viironen Kalle says:

Both of these + a lot more are available in our commercial Qt for device creation offering.

Philippe says:

Fail to build under Windows 10 / VS 2015 (I tried both 32 and 64 bit).
Build stops with ActiveX and XMLPatterns projects :(

Adrian Gabureanu says:

It was said that starting with 5.6, Windows Store apps would be composited inside a XAML layer. I wanted to make use of that and integrate banner ads. But it seems that Windows 10 universal apps cannot even consume WinRT extensions:

Is it just me?

Maurice Kalinowski says:

Hi,

the bugreport is unrelated to using XAML components together with Qt, you do not need the language extensions to achieve this.
One example to look at is the source code of Qt WebView where we integrate a Web Xaml item into Qt.

The bugreport is something to have a look at though.

Adrian Gabureanu says:

Before bringing my apps to Windows 10, I’m interested in 2 things on Windows RT and most probably both require WinRT extensions:

1) in-app purchases, which I’ve tested successfully on Qt 5.5, but do not work in Qt 5.6 with Win10 universal apps because I can not make use of CX collections (“collection.h”). This is the reason why I created the bug report in the first place.

2) integrating banner and interstitial ads which require a coexistence between XAML and Qt Quick. And depending on the ads SDK it might also require CX. But in order to test the XAML part, I need the CX part to work 1st.

I need these 2 things and I need them both to be able to move forward with Qt on Windows 10. XAML wasn’t available in 5.5 so I had to skip Qt 5.5. When the Qt 5.6 beta came out, the WinRT extensions, which were available in WinRT 8.1 were no longer accessible in Win10. So I’ve submitted a bug report 2 months ago and I’ve waited, hoping this would get fixed. It wasn’t and if Qt 5.6 final presents itself with this issue I will have to skip Qt 5.6 too.

To be clear, I’m not complaining about the XAML part. It’s the CX part that is giving me headaches at the moment. I need it for in-app purchases. I haven’t tested the XAML part yet, but I’m very eager to test it as soon as the bug I reported gets figured out.

Malek Khlif says: