Tuukka Turunen

Qt 5.7 Beta Released

Published Thursday April 21st, 2016
43 Comments on Qt 5.7 Beta Released
Posted in Biz Circuit & Dev Loop, Licensing, Qt, Releases

Qt 5.7 Beta is now released and available for your feedback. There is a lot to review – new modules, leveraging C++11 features, and the new unified product structure, which is now the same for both commercial and open source versions.

Leveraging C++11

The core of Qt comes from its C++ foundation and the powerful native performance it offers you. We of course always want to ensure Qt is on top of the latest C++ developments, so that the framework continues to grow with your needs. Qt has supported the use of C++11 in application code for a long time. We also wanted to keep supporting C++98 compilers up to Qt 5.6, which meant that we needed to wait before fully leveraging C++11 features in the Qt framework libraries themselves.

Starting with Qt 5.7 all compilers are C++11 compatible, which allows us to start using new C++ functionality such as auto, lambda and many more in Qt itself. These features will also start to appear in the Qt API, where it makes sense to do so. For those who can’t move yet the long term supported Qt 5.6 provides full C++98 compatibility.

New Functionality

Our focus with Qt 5.6 is on Long-Term Support quality, so lots of new features and functionality will now be coming with Qt 5.7. The Qt Company and our valued contributors managed to do this by developing Qt 5.7 in parallel with completion Qt 5.6 LTS. Qt 5.7 provides a fully supported version of Qt Quick Controls 2 and Qt 3D. It also provides a technology preview of Qt Wayland Compositor, Qt SCXML, Qt SerialBus and Qt Gamepad modules. The Qt 5.7 Beta installers also pack in Qt Creator 4.0 RC.

For full list of all the goodies in Qt 5.7, please check the New Features of Qt 5.7 on the wiki.

Open-Source Licensing Change

As announced in January, Qt is adjusting the open-source licensing starting with the Qt 5.7 and Creator 4.0 releases. Most of the Qt framework will be licensed under your choice of LGPLv3, GPLv2 or our commercial license. In addition, many of the previously commercial only add-on libraries will be made available either under GPLv3 or LGPLv3. Qt Creator, as well as other tools and applications, will be licensed under GPLv3 (with exceptions to enable development of non-GPL applications) and our commercial license.

For more information about the license change, please check the License change FAQ and the blog post announcing the change.

Unified Product Structure

The open-source license change with Qt 5.7 allows us to unify the structure of Qt for Application Development product for both commercial and open-source users in that you will get the same features regardless of the license. One exception though is Qt Quick Compiler, which will only be available under commercial licensing in Qt 5.7. However, we aim to introduce a new built-in Qt Quick Compiler with Qt 5.8, which will be available for both commercial and open-source users. Our product offering for embedded users – Qt for Device Creation – continues to have exclusive functionality available only for commercial licensees.

Get Qt 5.7 Beta

The Qt Company has prepared convenient binary installers for the Qt 5.7 Beta, in the hopes that you will download, test and provide feedback so that we can deliver an awesome final product. To try out the new features you can download it from your Qt Account or from download.qt.io. For any issues you may find with the Beta, please submit a detailed bug report to bugreports.qt.io (after checking for duplicates). You are also welcome to join the discussions in the Qt Project mailing lists, development forums and to contribute to Qt.

Posted in Biz Circuit & Dev Loop, Licensing, Qt, Releases

Max says:

Will there be native support for 64 bit ARMv8 targets?

@Max: Yes. You can built for 64bit ARMv8 with Qt 5.7.

kangjoni says:

when will you add official clang based android ndk toolchain mkspecs reference build configuration parameter? Google is now depreceating gcc based ndk toolset anyway.

Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt says:

There is a work in progress patch for this:

So it should be ready before gcc is deprecated in the NDK.

John says:

Google and their nonsense, I am definitely not looking forward to being forced to switch to clang, GCC still has better performance, and I have put a lot of effort building my own toolset around GCC and its language extensions.

Adrian Gabureanu says:

Any updates regarding https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/149602/ ?

When will Qt Purchasing be extended to Windows 10? I was expecting this for Qt 5.7.

Maurice Kalinowski Maurice Kalinowski says:

Hi Adrian,

I am sorry to say that we didn’t have time to tackle this item, as we had to take care of other bugs before adding new features. Easiest to keep track on updates is to follow that patch and see when it integrates.

junwufan says:

how to use Qt Quick Controls 2 in 5.7 beta

J-P Nurmi J-P Nurmi says:

Hi, due to technical issues, the name of the import is still “Qt.labs.controls 1.0” in 5.7 beta. The underlying issue has been solved as of right now, so we’re able to proceed with the import rename. The import will be “QtQuick.Controls 2.0” in 5.7 RC.

ekke ekke says:

I’m missing the qt.labs.controls Gallery.

J-P Nurmi J-P Nurmi says:

It probably went missing due to the ongoing renaming circus. Sorry for the inconvenience. 🙁

ekke ekke says:

no problem, JP
only wanted to be sure that I haven’t overlooked it.
I can copy it over to my working dir.

Marco says:

Tuuka:

Hopefully you read the development mail list because Jani posted the 5.7 beta announcement on the list and I put my comments there

@Marco: Yes, all Qt developers read the list. The Qt Project mailing lists are typically the best places for discussion.

John says:

I’d like to ask if anything significant has changed since the snapshot uploaded last Friday – 15 April? Do I need to rebuild?

John says:

Nevermind, noticed that even thou “last modified” is different, the hashsums are the same.

QmlLover says:

With Qt5.7, will Qt Quick Controls 2.0 provide a style for iOS? Any thoughts/roadmap for this?

J-P Nurmi J-P Nurmi says:

Hi, we are very much interested in proving a style for iOS, but it’s a bit unclear whether it lands to the first release. The team has been busy sorting out higher priority issues before we increase the maintenance load with more styles. Nevertheless, it’s definitely on the roadmap and we’ll blog about any progress. Stay tuned!

Marco Piccolino Marco Piccolino says:

JP, yes please, a native-looking iOS style looks like an item of secondary importance, but it is in many scenarions a relevant factor to choose the framework for a project, before discovering how awesome Qt is and sticking with it anyways 😉 Also, it could make Qt shine on framework comparison sites like http://propertycross.com/frameworks/qt/qt.html. Everybody here knows that creating your iOS-like look is not too hard in QML, but newcomers especially need some sugar!

ekke ekke says:

JP, great to hear that iOS style is on the radar.
at customer site after demo’ing the cool Material style I always got the question about how it will look on iOS.
the curious thing: at the end (mobile business app-) customers tend to run Material on all platforms which makes it easier for help desk etc.
would be cool if you’ll implement for Material the new BottomNavigationBar https://www.google.com/design/spec/components/bottom-navigation.html# – this allows similar navigation as for iOS. (yes, I’ll create a feature request 😉

J-P Nurmi J-P Nurmi says:

@Marco, it’s not that the iOS style in particular would be somehow of secondary importance, but that right now we must focus on ensuring that things are future-proof. We must get the existing things in the best possible shape before the first official release. We just finished renaming the import from Qt.labs.controls 1.0 to QtQuick.Controls 2.0, which took much more efforts than anticipated, due to some bumps on the road. Generally speaking, we’re in the process of reviewing and polishing things so that everything is lean and mean. It’s our last chance to tweak things without the hassle of deprecation and keeping backwards compatibility.

Marco Piccolino Marco Piccolino says:

@JP I fully understand. In that case isn’it it probably best to leave the iOS style for Controls 2 as a community effort in an external project? As long as people know it’s on the roadmap there will be hardly anyone investing in it, but if you exclude working on it in the short term the community might get organised. This said, I also find that in many use case Material represents a good cross-platform alternative.

Cyril Lorquet says:

Dear Tuukka,

I haven’t downloaded the beta yet, but can you tell us if the Qt3D included in 5.7 now supports running under iOS ?

Thanks !

Steven says:

Is that true that 5.7 drops Windows XP as target platform?

@Steven: Qt 5.6 LTS supports Windows XP (deployment only) until March 2019. Qt 5.7 will support Windows 7 and upwards.

Mihail Naydenov says:

@Tuukka Is this true for all Qt modules, QtCore included? Why is this necessary? What critical functionality is in 7, compared to XP, considering almost nothing is deprecated from XP to 7.
Can you please make a separate blog post about this issue! I am sure many people, me included, will not do the switch if XP is dropped – it is still widely used, especially in the office environment.

@Mihail: I would recommend you to continue with Qt 5.6 LTS if you need to deploy to Windows XP, as it is supported there. We are no longer testing Qt 5.7 on Windows XP.

Mihail Naydenov says:

In any case you should have been more open about it. It is infinitely more important then many of the other topics, considering its market share is (still) about the same as OSX! Not to mention the Qt user can’t really do anything about it – it is not like he/sh can “just” upgrade the compiler or something. He/She will “just” lose users.

Oliver Knoll says:

Pah 🙂 You had me until “[Windox XP is used]… especially in the office environment”.

What?! 🙂 What kind of company are you working in? I would have said that XP is still being in use in private households… but offices? Rly? 😉

davy.mz says:

I download Qt for VS2015 32bit ,no find the qtwebengine module ?

@davy.mx: This is a known issue for the 32 bit Windows installers in Qt 5.7 Beta and will be fixed for the RC and Final. For more details, see: http://wiki.qt.io/Qt_5.7.0_Known_Issues

Nuno Nunes says:

I’m having here a strange error.
I was using QtCreator 4 rc1 with Qt5.6 on OSX.
In cmake I have
if (APPLE)
set (CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS “${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -std=c++14 -stdlib=libc++”)
endif (APPLE)
to build with c++14. All works ok.

Using the same code with QtCreator bundled with Qt 5.7 I have always an error:
std::make_unique (no member make_unique in std)
It is not compiling in c++14.

Not found yet how to correct this.

Nuno Nunes says:

More tests.

With the same QtCreator (4.0 rc1), and the same code, when I say to use Qt 5.6 I can compile c++14, using Qt 5.7 I always have errors with std::make_unique.

Not tested using qmake, only Cmake.

Any Ideas ?

Adrien Hamelin says:

I have exactly the same problem, when i try to compile my project using cmake and the beta 5.7, it disables for some reason the C++14 option and thus prevent the compilation.

It works perfectly when i use Qt 5.5.

Adrien Hamelin says:

After investigation, it seems that there is always the option “-std=gnu++11” added automatically at the end of the command line, thus overriding the c++14 option of before.

It should not add that option i think, or check that there is no “-std=*” set.

Kai Koehne Kai Koehne says:

Could you create a bug report for this (including a minimal test case) on http://bugreports.qt.io ?

Scorp1us says:

My big beef with Qt at the moment is that Mobile has lost momentum. While I have a cross-platform core, I now work outside Qt to provide platform features that exist on multiple platforms, like notifications and background tasks. I end up coding iOS, OSX, and Android subsystems, which all do 90% the same thing, but have to be recoded for each platform. I would love it if Qt abstracted more of these platform features. I would not mind platform-specifics needing to be coded, but the areas where they all provide similar functionality need to be addressed.

ekke ekke says:

+1 to have more common mobile platform features abstracted by Qt libraries. This would also help to stay ahead of Xamarin where you have one language but to code too much for each platform extra.
the great thing with Qt is to develop only once and new Qt Quick Controls 2 help much to dev mobile apps x-platform with native feeling.
Reading through forum threads it seems that many devs are developing same things again and again for android / iOS. would be cool to have something like a marketplace / wiki / github where all those android / iOS extras could be provided. this would reduce dev time and help growing in mobile apps built by Qt.

Robin says:

I think Qt can’t stay ahead of Xamarin on mobile in every aspect anymore now that it’s free for everyone (thanks to Microsoft). It’s working great together with VS2015 Community Edition, which is also completely free.

By the way Xamarin Forms allows true native controls with less code for each platform.

Faking the look of a native theme isn’t a good idea. Because users are usually extremely used to the behavior of their preferred platform (not just how it looks) so they get annoyed easily.
I think a unique theme on all platforms is the better concept for Qt Mobile.

ekke ekke says:

I’m mainly developing mobile business apps for SMB’s and Enterprises.
I compared Xamarin vs Qt vs Apache Cordova vs React Native and from my POV Qt is – starting with Qt 5.7 and new Qt Quick Controls – ahead of the others.
Developing Xamarin I must do much more code for each platform.
Going the Qt 5.7 QuickControls 2 way I’m able to develop performant mobile apps with native Look’n’Feel (using Material, Universal and later iOS style) OR I can decide to use one style (per ex. Material) for all platforms if business customer prefers a on-all-platforms-same-looking-app.
I’ve seen the progress on new controls from 5.6 to 5.7 beta so I have a really good feeling for the next months.
Xamarin going Open Source and Free makes it harder for Qt of course.
The new startup offer is a first step, but I would prefer a mobile-application-development-only license with something around 39$ p.M. per developer for every developer doesn’t matter if enterprise or independent. Enterprises will pay support extra.
Another point wqith Qt for mobile: there should be some more libs to abstract common things like ‘send an email’, ‘infos on carrier, radio, …’, …
For me I’ll give Qt a chance 😉

Matheus Catarino says:

Why not use Windows Qt with MinGW 5.x. It is expected to occur this change?

HADI says:

why we can’t use google map component on Qt like android studio?
why we can’t use gmap by Qml Map component?
is there any way to use gmap by Qml except the webview?
can i hope that this tool will be added in Qt as an important android system tool?