Karsten Heimrich

From Visual Studio Add-In to Qt VS Tools (Beta)

Published Thursday August 11th, 2016
12 Comments on From Visual Studio Add-In to Qt VS Tools (Beta)
Posted in Biz Circuit & Dev Loop, Dev Loop, Labs, Qt, Releases, Uncategorized, Visual Studio, Windows

It has been almost three years since the latest official release of the Qt Visual Studio Add-in, but now we have something new to show you: Qt VS Tools. You can download the Beta version from Qt Downloads for testing. We are happy to be able to tell you that the package size has gone down from 200MB to 7MB.

In the future, we plan to make Qt VS Tools available in the Visual Studio Gallery and directly installable from within Visual Studio 2013 and 2015. Note that we have dropped support for older Visual Studio versions. Also, before installing Qt VS Tools, make sure to uninstall the old Qt Visual Studio Add-in, because the two do not play well together.

When you start using Qt VS Tools, you will find the Qt New Item and New Project templates in Templates|Visual C++|Qt. Do not use any items from the wizards named Qt5, because they are artifacts of the Add-in.

Main Changes

• Supports Visual Studio 2013 and 2015
  • Major code refactoring, build system updates, and code cleanup
  • New wizard system based on the Visual Studio extension system
  • Out of the box support for Qt Type C++ Debugger Visualizers (natvis)

Known Issues

• Missing QML support
  • Missing F1 help support
  • Missing localization support
  • Supports only installed versions of Qt

Get Qt VS Tools Beta

The Qt Company has prepared convenient installers for the Qt VS Tools Beta, in the hopes that you will download, test and provide feedback so that we can deliver an awesome final product. To try out the new features you can download it from your Qt Account or from download.qt.io. For any issues you may find with the Beta, please submit a detailed bug report to bugreports.qt.io (after checking for duplicates). You are also welcome to join the discussions in the Qt Project mailing lists, development forums and to contribute to Qt.

Robert says:

First of all: Yay! I might finally be able to move to VS 2015. There currently is the so-called Qt5Package (a private effort, it seems), but moc never worked flawlessly.

“before installing Qt VS Tools, make sure to uninstall the old Qt Visual Studio Add-in, because the two do not play well together.”

Do you plan to fix this for the release? I need to keep VS2010 for legacy Qt projects (for which I would prefer not to touch anything in the environment).

Karsten Heimrich Karsten Heimrich says:

@ Robert: You can have both installed at the same time. The new version will not effect the Add-In installation, but as long as the Add-In is installed, the ‘old’ Wizard and Item templates will show up inside newer Visual Studio versions. This is not a problem at all, one has to remember to use the new Templates instead (the ones with the new Qt logo). We will try to employ a fix until the final release of the new tools.

Jimmy says:

Will QML be supported in the final release? I mean, the color syntax, autocompletion etc.

Karsten Heimrich Karsten Heimrich says:

@ Jimmy: I can’t promise this right now, but we are discussing all possibilities on how to extend the current offering.

Mvives says:

Do you plan to support non installed version of qt?
If yes, even qt5.2?

Karsten Heimrich Karsten Heimrich says:

@Mvives: We try to support this use-case with the final version, yes. I cannot comment on the lowest supported version, there’s no decision made yet.

Camilla Boemann says:

Is upgrading as simple as changing the plugin or do I have to do more?

Karsten Heimrich Karsten Heimrich says:

@Camilla: You need to download the VSIX package matching your Visual Studio version. Installation is done by VS after double clicking the package.

Szőke Szabolcs says:

I really like where this is heading. I’d like to report one feature which I would like to see in the final release which is being able to keep the same folder structure for the generated object files and sources. Currently I have a project where I have source files having the same name but in different sub directories. I have CONFIG += object_parallel_to_source no_batch in my .pro file which solves the issue but it’s currently not working with the new add-on. If this is the wrong place to report this then please redirect me to the right place.

Maurice Kalinowski Maurice Kalinowski says:

Hi,

thanks for the valuable feedback. Preferrably those should be reported as tasks in our JIRA at https://bugreports.qt.io I believe there is no VS Tools project yet, but you could use VS AddIn until that it fixed.

RJ says:

This is great news. We already are using Qt 5.6.1-1 with Visual Studio 2015 using Qt5Package in our projects. My question is do we have to make any modification in our projects to be able to use the new extension. For example with previous Add-in, we needed to create Qt version in Qt Options dialog then assign one of those added version to our project using Qt Project Settings dialog. As the result the add-in would add a new UserProperties tag to .vcxproj file of our project. If the project files needed to be modified to be used with new add-in, then installing the add-in is going to be mandatory for whole team (actually all teams using same platform).

Also with previous add-in, the Qt version wasn’t bound to specific project configuration. The problem with that approach is, we can not easily switch between different builds of Qt by selecting different configuration for project (for example 64/32). I hope this issue is addressed in new add-in.

Karsten Heimrich Karsten Heimrich says:

@RJ: I never tried the the Qt5Package myself, so I cannot judge what modifications it did to your projects. My guess would be that there should be no changes, but to be sure you have to try it at least on one machine. About the second paragraph, we did not change this right now, so if you need this behavior you should file a bug report on https://bugreports.qt.io