Eike Ziller

Qt Creator 4.1.0 released

Published Thursday August 25th, 2016
48 Comments on Qt Creator 4.1.0 released
Posted in Biz Circuit & Dev Loop, Qt, QtCreator, Releases

We are happy to announce the release of Qt Creator 4.1.0.

Flat Dark Theme - Qt Creator 4.1Flat Light Theme - Qt Creator 4.1

Themes

We added Flat Light and Flat Dark themes, complementing the Flat theme which was added in 4.0. They are available in the Environment > Interface > Theme settings. We also added some more editor color schemes which you find in Text Editor > Fonts & Colors.

Editing

Text Editors now behave much better with regards to automatically inserting and skipping characters. If you type a quote or bracket, the corresponding closing character is added. If you remove the opening character, it is removed again. If you type the closing character yourself, it replaces the automatically inserted one. Both of these now only happen as long as the text cursor did not move away from the closing character. You can also configure automatic insertion of brackets and quotes individually in the Text Editor > Completion settings.

C++

Aside from fixing bugs in the code model and static analyzer integration, we also updated our binary packages to use Clang 3.8.1, which also fixes many issues, especially with MSVC. We also added a more recent patch to Clang that makes it work better with MSVC2015 Update 3.

Qt Quick

Both Qt Quick Designer and QML Profiler received many performance improvements. You can now choose a Qt Quick Controls 2 style which Qt Quick Designer uses to render your items. The new Move to Component action moves an item and its contents into a separate file.

CMake

Many bugs were fixed for supporting CMake projects, and the workflow further improved. CMake is only run automatically if Qt Creator is the active application, and you can turn automatic running completely off (Build & Run > CMake). If you set the QML_IMPORT_PATH variable in the CMake cache for your project, Qt Creator picks this up and feeds it to the QML code model, so you can access your QML imports in the editor. (Example CMake code: set(QML_IMPORT_PATH ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/qml ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/imports CACHE string "" FORCE))

Other improvements

If you turn on the plugin (Help > About Plugins, or Qt Creator > About Plugins on macOS), Qt Creator gains experimental support for the Nim programming language. Many thanks to Filippo Cucchetto for this contribution. It supports syntax highlighting, indentation, coding style settings, and simple project management, including building, running and debugging applications.

All this is just a small excerpt from all the changes and improvements that you find in Qt Creator 4.1.0. Find out more in our change log, or just go ahead, download and try it for yourself!

Get Qt Creator 4.1.0

The opensource version is available on the Qt download page, and you find commercially licensed packages on the Qt Account Portal. Qt Creator 4.1.0 is also available through an update in the online installer. Please post issues in our bug tracker. You can also find us on IRC on #qt-creator on chat.freenode.net, and on the Qt Creator mailing list.

Posted in Biz Circuit & Dev Loop, Qt, QtCreator, Releases

Ivan says:

While updating from MaintenanceTool I got this error: http://i.imgur.com/h5MLBFx.png, but after I pressed Retry it never appeared again. Something wrong with domains?

Birdy says:

I have an infinite loop/memory leak while opening/parsing a project 🙁
(slimming down the project – I hope I can open a useful bug report)

Actually this is a bug in cmake… it never terminates. Bug report is here: https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/16271

Alan says:

So far so good for me. I like the new Flat Light theme. 🙂

Tad says:

I am getting this while trying to update:

—————————
Download Error
—————————
Hash verification while downloading failed. This is a temporary error, please retry.
—————————
Retry Cancel
—————————

Aram says:

me too… cannot perform update :/

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

Hi,
is this with Enterprise or Open Source license? And which platform?

Luffy says:

works great!
one thing I noticed though is that under Ubuntu the folder icons and file selection in Projects and Open Documents are now blue which doesn’t really match the Ubuntu-theme (orange). Is there a setting for this somewhere?

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

Hi, the issue you are referring to is https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-52259

Algirdas says:

Nice, good job. I still like the previous theme called “Flat”, that has flat dark UI + light editors. Hope it will not be removed in the future!:)

aportale says:

The “Flat” theme will remain and will continue to be the default.

Ryein Goddard says:

Looks great in Kubuntu 16.04, thanks.

Frenillo says:

The issues tab doesn’t show build errors of a CMake project.

It worked in QtCreator 3.x, but since QtCreator 4.0 the issues tab is empty.

Are you aware of this problem?

Thanks.

Tobias Hunger Tobias Hunger says:

The issue you are seeing is caused by cmake = 3.0 or use ninja (which does reduce build time quite a bit, so I recommend going down that way).

For best results, please consider to upgrade cmake to version 3.6. That version produces more (and less buggy:-) data for creator to generate its project information from.

Frenillo says:

After updating CMake from 2.8 to 3.2 the Issues tab works again!

Thanks!

LukasT says:

Do you plan to support “Build file” with CMake anytime soon?

Tobias Hunger Tobias Hunger says:

Whether or not that functionality is available in a cmake build is highly dependent on the cmake generator being used.

Ninja is really fast when it comes to one-file changes in a project and the clang code model produces warnings and error messages while you type that are very close to what you would get when building the currently opened file. So I do not see many remaining use-cases for this feature in cmake.

I have no plans to add this functionality at this time.

Filip says:

The new Flat Dark theme is really lovely.

Which color scheme (text highlighting scheme) are you using in the Flat Dark screenshot?

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

The default for the theme, “Qt Creator Dark”

HGH says:

After updating on Windows 10 the shortcut to Qt Creator disappeared from the menu. Not happy!

Brad says:

Ever since Qt 4.0 my Help window’s formatting seems to be messed up. Is this how it’s supposed to look? http://imgur.com/a/Pli1F

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

There is no QtWebKit anymore in Qt 5.6+, so we are using QTextBrowser in Qt Creator for Help, which has some limitations on styling. The Qt 5.6(.1)+ documentation should look nicer (which was simplified a bit).

brad says:

I see, that’s a shame. I’m guessing there’s no workaround for this? I really like the new Qt Creator, but the new formatting of the text in the Help window makes a huge difference for my workflow.

Stanislav says:

After updating Qt Creator to 4.1.0 g++.exe started to try accessing drive I: and gave a warning window that it couldn’t access it (Got empty card reader on I:). I found out on the Internet that it’s because of hardcoded paths in gcc compiler, but that was a problem only in older versions of gcc. Just curious. A workaround is simple. Just rename drive I: to some other letter.

Nejat says:

Nice job with the dark theme. I wish class data members had a different color. By default they have the same color as Text. It would be more readable if the have a different color like the default color scheme.

aportale says:

That new text editor scheme is quite fresh and we are thankful for such feedback. If you go to the text editor options, you can copy the “Qt Creator Dark” text editor scheme and tweak it. I you see the change useful for an upcoming release, please create a bug report (or a code contribution via https://codereview.qt-project.org )

Nejat says:

The icons in the options dialog do not have a flat theme. It would make Qr Creator more unified if all icons have the same style.

aportale says:

The option dialog icons are very high on the “icons to be redone” list. I hope we manage to do that for 4.2.

Serge says:

Can not update. Maintainance tool sais (in russian, I’ll try to translate): Exception occured while loading component scenario “C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\remoterepo-oyIxJd/qt.57/installscript.qs” . (Type error: Can not call method ‘setValue’ of null)

Serge says:

Win7 x86, Qt Creator 4.0.3, Tools/Mingw 4.8.2 + 5.3.0 installed

Serge says:

Solved. Had to disable some entries in default repository list. There’s some mess with this list. Once I had problems like Ivan has, so had do disable everything that seemed unnecessary. But it contains duplicating entries and one can not see actual URLs, so it was a guess.

Dan says:

Hey,
I’ve updated from 4.0.3 to 4.1.0 and I’ve noticed some changes in qmake call in our project. The -r flag is missing and there is an extra call to “jom.exe qmake_all” after the standard qmake command. Is this caused by the new version of Creator? What exactly does jom.exe qmake_all do? AFAIK it seems to run qmake again… ?

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

qmake && make qmake_all (or replace “make” by “jom” or “nmake”) is basically the replacement of qmake -r in Qt 5. See https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-12652

Dan says:

Ok, I get it now. Is there any way to switch back to qmake -r?
Or maybe is there any other way to solve my issue – we use TEMPLATE = subdirs and in the last processed subdir, we run some scripts that modify generated makefiles. This obviously doesn’t work now as the process is parallel. Is there any other way to run a script after qmake generated all makefiles but before make is run?

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

Potential workarounds:

Use a toplevel subdirs project with CONFIG+=ordered, which first points to a (parallelized) subdirs project with the actual build, and then to the project which runs the script.

Looks like jom 1.1 and later read the JOMFLAGS environment variable (http://master.qt.io/official_releases/jom/changelog.txt), so another option would be to set “JOMFLAGS=/J 1” in Qt Creator’s environment, and a higher number in the make step arguments in Qt Creator.

We’ll also look into adding options for overriding the make command and arguments to the qmake step.

Ilya says:

Qt Maintenance Tool forced me to reinstall Qt.
Now I can’t instal Qt using qt-unified-windows-x86-2.0.3-1-online installer.
My log:
[23462] Repository skipped: ” “https://download.qt.io/online/qtsdkrepository/windows_x86/root/qt
[23464] Repository skipped: ” “Enterprise Qt Windows-x86 root online repository
[41450] Sending Login request..
[101554] Warning: Network error during login: [ QNetworkReply::NetworkError(TimeoutError) ] “Socket operation timed out”
[101557] Warning: Connection to server failed. Trying again..
[101557] Sending Login request..
[101558] Login request completed
[116401] Warning: Network error during login: [ QNetworkReply::NetworkError(HostNotFoundError) ] “Host not found”
[116403] Warning: “Host not found”. Unable to login to Qt Account. Please check for your network connection.
[116404] Warning: Unhandled connection failure: QNetworkReply::NetworkError(HostNotFoundError)
[116406] Login request completed

Ilya says:

I’ve got another error without login:
[9044] Using repository: ” “https://download.qt.io/online/qtsdkrepository/windows_x86/root/qt
[69075] Network error while downloading ‘https://download.qt.io/online/qtsdkrepository/windows_x86/root/qt/Updates.xml?292015710’: Socket operation timed out.

Ilya says:

Fixed. It was issue with my antivirus )

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

Ok. Thanks for the notice.

hawk_king says:

How to use Clang Static Analyzer with Plain C/Cmake project? I get this error: “error: invalid argument ‘-std=gnu++11’ not allowed with ‘C/ObjC’”

Nikolai says:

Note that while cmake projects might work in general, they are as of now not officially supported.

However, this particular issue might affect the other project types, too. Please create a bug report at https://bugreports.qt.io/ .

Nikolai

Petref says:

I just upgraded to QtCreator 4.1.0 on my Mac, i love the new themes and the enhanced Qt Quick Designer 🙂 awesome release.

Jakub says:

I love the new design, but the autocorrelation doesn’t work very well.
When I’m adding a line of code, it is highlighted before I finish writing. And though my syntax is correct, the code is still highlighted, even a while after I finish the line. Some times it is highlighted till I compile.
Also when I ad a variable in the header file (.h), the Creator doesn’t recognize it in the source file (.cpp).
All was well in 3.6. It got worse in 4.0.0, and now, when I use 4.1.0 it’s unbelievably annoying.

Jakub says:

The strangest thing is (about updating .cpp with the new .h variable) that when i Ctrl + click on the variable i wrote in the .cpp file, it will redirect me to the .h file, where the variable was declared. When i come back to the .cpp file though, I still get “error: use of undeclared identifier”, and it’s highlighted red.

Patrice kouame says:

Hi

Still having the darndest time importing my CMake project with latest release.

See previous Bug https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-16764

Figured something in my config was conflicting with the new version so I wiped the ini and Creator 4.1 recreate a new one. I get a little further with a new kit that no longer complains about incompatible ABI versions. But I still can’t get to a point where the ide is loaded with my project.

I know CMake isn’t “officially” supported yet, but is there anything else I can try? Am I resetting all the app settings correctly or should I wipe the entire config directory? I’m afraid opening a new bug will just result in it getting summarily closed again.

Regards, Patrice.

Dyami Caliri says:

This release is really wonderful. Great work!
It is performing well, and I love the new themes.

Serge says:

Still have a bug when Run and Debug buttons get disabled after adding files with ‘Add existing files…’ or ‘Add new files…’ popup menu. Have to manually edit project file and save, then buttons are enabled again. Bug was present in 4.0, maybe earlier, I don’t remember. Win7 x86.