Eike Ziller

Qt Creator 4.3.1 released

Published Friday June 30th, 2017
25 Comments on Qt Creator 4.3.1 released
Posted in Biz Circuit & Dev Loop, Qt, QtCreator, Releases

We are happy to announce the release of Qt Creator 4.3.1. This release contains a range of bug fixes.

Most importantly we fixed a memory leak in code completion, which lead to out-of-memory crashes after a while, especially for users on 32-bit Windows. The new version also includes a multitude of improvements for the CMake integration, fixes running applications on iOS 10.3 devices, and mends some regressions related to the project tree.

For a more detailed overview of the included improvements, take a look at our change log.

Get Qt Creator 4.3.1

The opensource version is available on the Qt download page, and you find commercially licensed packages on the Qt Account Portal. Qt Creator 4.3.1 is also available through an update in the online installer. Please post issues in our bug tracker. You can also find us on IRC on #qt-creator on chat.freenode.net, and on the Qt Creator mailing list.

Posted in Biz Circuit & Dev Loop, Qt, QtCreator, Releases

Catalin says:

“Fixed performance issue on HiDPI displays (QTBUG-61384)”
much appreciated, thanks guys

Alan says:

Following some comments regarding Qt Creator 4.3.0’s new Projects view, I was hoping that Qt Creator 4.3.1 would have made it possible to revert to the old Projects view, if one wanted, but… apparently not.

My application is plugin-based and I have more than 50 of them, so yes, I find it very inconvenient to use the new Projects view. I keep clicking all over the place. Also, I find it very frustrating having my .cpp files and .h files in a completely different place.

So, yes, after having tried to get myself familiarized with the new Projects view, I am now seriously considering reverting to Qt Creator 4.2. Very frustrating. 🙁

Slava says:

I totally hate the new project view as well. But I feel like cmake-server mode integration is potentially a very useful and powerfull thing, thus I stick with the newer versions. So that I can hopefully provide some constructive feedback, and not demotivate the guys doing the job. Cause I do not want cmake integration in Qt Creator to get stuck in a condition it is now.

nomad says:

Oh god this so much. New project tree is just abhorrent, why can’t it stay the way it was in 4.2? It was absolutely perfect.

Alan says:

Back to Qt Creator 4.2 for me. Yup, much better (for me at least)!

Setepenre says:

My .h and .cpp are not in a different folder when I am using CMake,
I think this behaviour comes from your particular CMake configuration not QtCreator.

Alan says:

All I know is that both my .cpp and .h files are in the same place using Qt Creator 4.2. So, not sure what might be so special about my CMake configuration…

Setepenre says:

You can checkout https://github.com/TrinityCore/TrinityCore
They have options in their CMake file to control how the project tree will look

Alan says:

Would you mind telling me where to look exactly?

Setepenre says:

I think this is where they do it.

Alan says:

Yes, it looks like it might be it. Still, I don’t think one should have to account for an IDE’s ‘misbehaviour’.

Lorenzo says:

I completely understand your frustration. I love QtCreator and I have been using it for years now, but, at least for me, the new cmake project view is just unusable. Maybe some users will come to terms with it or even prefer it over the old one, but I do no think that I will be one of them. I know that it is hard to drop a feature that made it to release, but I ask the developers to please listen to the comments and at least include the option of using the old view in the next release.

Danny says:

Can someone test this on OSX 10.9.5 please? The 4.3RC was fine for me but the official release crashes on startup. It appears to be a plugin error but app closes because I can read the error message.

Marc says:

Unfortunatly Qt 5.9 is no more compatible with Maveriks, it requires Yosemite.
Some QtCreator 4.3 are compatible with Maveriks ( built with Qt 5.8 )
The version delivered with Qt 5.9.1 is not ( built with Qt 5.9 .x )

Danny says:

You own documentation says otherwise:

“macOS 10.8 or later with the following:
Xcode tools for your macOS version available on the Mac App Store.”

Marc says:

I’m not from Qt, i’m a simple user like you.
QtCreator 4.3.1 downloaded from dowload.qt.io crash with the following error on MacOs 10.9.5:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception ‘NSInvalidArgumentException’, reason: ‘+[NSGraphicsContext graphicsContextWithCGContext:flipped:]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0x106eac8f8’
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
abort() called

Application Specific Backtrace 1:
0 CoreFoundation 0x0000000104c2225c __exceptionPreprocess + 172
1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00000001085a4e75 objc_exception_throw + 43
2 CoreFoundation 0x0000000104c2502d +[NSObject(NSObject) doesNotRecognizeSelector:] + 205

[NSGraphicsContext graphicsContextWithCGContext:flipped:] is new in 10.10 Appkit API

I think the last version you can use is Qt 5.8 and QtCreator 4.3
Like you, i’m very frustating in the fact that they drop 2 osx versions (10.8 and 10.9) at once with Qt 5.9 !

Jake Petroules Jake Petroules says:

We didn’t drop two versions at once with Qt 5.9. Qt 5.6 deploys to macOS 10.7+, Qt 5.7 deploys to macOS 10.8+, Qt 5.8 deploys to macOS 10.9+, and Qt 5.9 deploys to macOS 10.10+. Qt 5.10 will possibly deploy to 10.11+.

As for the crash, this is our fault. We did not properly set the minimum OS version in the app’s Info.plist for this release, and so it still lists 10.8 as the minimum version when it really requires 10.10. When that key is set to the proper value, the operating system will present a friendly error message like “This app requires a newer version of macOS” if you try to run it on a platform it does not support. We will fix this in a future release.

Danny says:

(I can’t reply directly to Jake’s comment so I’m typing it here)

“Why are you still running macOS 10.9.5? Unless you are running on absolutely ancient hardware (pre-2010!) which can’t upgrade, there is no reason you should be developing on such an old platform. Upgrade to macOS Sierra.”

When you work as a commercial software developer, *you* don’t necessarily have control over the hardware or software you use. Creator 4.3 was working fine with OSX 10.9 so I didn’t expect 4.3.1 to jump an entire OS version, nor were the official minimum requirements raised. As of this moment, the official requirement for Creator 4.3 is *still* 10.8…

Jake Petroules Jake Petroules says:

With a little URL manipulation, you can post a reply to any comment even if the button is missing. I think it’s a CSS issue.

Anyways, we build Qt Creator with Qt 5.9, so that’s why it requires macOS 10.10 now.

However, we keep source compatibility with Qt 5.6, so if you want to build Qt Creator yourself it will support macOS 10.8 (not 10.7 because of some newer C++ features we use that don’t deploy to 10.7).

So basically official releases from The Qt Company require 10.10, but if you build it yourself, it only requires 10.8.

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

Sorry for the documentation failure and the crash instead of sensible error message.

We usually release builds of Qt Creator with the latest available stable release of Qt (which in this case was Qt 5.9.1 since that released on the same day).
As Jake said, the sources of Qt Creator still support being built with Qt 5.6 (but force the deployment target to >= 10.8).

Serge says:

Displaying documentation for Qt4.8 is still broken, though QTBUG-56848 is closed. Please do something with this bug.

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

That bug is closed as fixed in Qt 5.10, which is not released yet. This will happen end of this year.

brat says:

Display Debug-Output is still broken on cdb…

m][sko says:

Can you add more code formatting options to Qt creator.
Our project is used in multiple IDEs visual studio,qt creator,Eclipse… and we would like to follow our project code formatting , but qt creator don’t have that many options as visual studio

Maciej Libera says:

You can try external beautifiers, just need to enable plugin: http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-beautifier.html