Miguel Costa

Qt Visual Studio Tools 2.2.0 Released

Published Monday February 26th, 2018
28 Comments on Qt Visual Studio Tools 2.2.0 Released
Posted in Dev Loop, Qt, Releases, Visual Studio, Windows

We have released the Qt VS Tools version 2.2.0.
Important changes include:

For details of what is included in this version, please refer to the change log.

The installation package is available in the Visual Studio Marketplace and can be installed directly from within VS (through the ‘Tools > Extensions and Updates…’ menu). Alternatively, it can be downloaded from this page.

Posted in Dev Loop, Qt, Releases, Visual Studio, Windows

Markus says:

I just updated to version 2.2.0 and it does not find the Qt installation (“These Qt version are inaccessible:”).
Manually adding the Qt version again, clarifies the reason. It complains about a missing “Qt5Core.dll”.
There is no “Qt5Core.dll” because Qt is built using qtlibinfix.
Earlier version looked for “qmake.exe” instead.
What are your suggestions? Manually adding a file named “Qt5Core.dll”?

Miguel Costa Miguel Costa says:

To work around this, copy your Qt5Core<infix>.dll (or Qt5Core<infix>d.dll if a debug build) to Qt5Core.dll. Please also create an issue for this in https://bugreports.qt.io/projects/QTVSADDINBUG, thank you.

Yury says:

I’ve converted project to Qt/MSBuild and get:
QtMsBuild: could not locate qt.targets, qt.props; project may not build correctly.
and linker errors. Looks like something with moc step was wrong and I do not see generated moc_* files….

Miguel Costa Miguel Costa says:

Could you please create an issue for this in https://bugreports.qt.io/projects/QTVSADDINBUG, and maybe attach a sample project so we can try to reproduce this problem? Thank you.

nF says:

Can I use this to compile Qt4 projects on MSVC2013 ?

Miguel Costa Miguel Costa says:

The Qt VS Tools are designed to work with Qt5. Previous versions of Qt are not supported.

Jinming Chen says:

Why does Qml syntax highlighting still not work? I see the “Use QML TextMate Language” in the option dialog, but it has no effect! Why?

Fabio says:

From my experience in case you use VS2015 the syntax highlighting for qml doesn’t work. It seem there is some strange bug and doesn’t allow the textmate file to work as expected (also if the Qt plugin correctly provide it). If you can I suggest to move to VS2017 where syntax highlighting work well.

Miguel Costa Miguel Costa says:

Could you please create an issue for this in https://bugreports.qt.io/projects/QTVSADDINBUG, and maybe provide some more information there so that we can reproduce this problem? For now, we aren’t able to reproduce it — I can see syntax highlighting for QML in all supported VS versions.

Fabio says:

It seem the “Additional Dependencies” option of “Qt Resource Compiler” section doesn’t work as expected (or, at leats, how to used to work before plugin change). In my case I created a .qrc file for contain the .qml file sources to embed into resource format inside the executable. To automatically “force” recompilation of the .qrc file every time some .qml files inside is changed I set the each .qml file name into the Visual Studio file property “Additional Dependencies” field and this work as expected using standard VS custom compilation mode. Now, after the pluguin project update, this feature seem still present in the “new” interface but making same operation by insert the .qml sources file name doesn’t sort any effect an no compilation was executed. I’m misunderstading the use of this field?

Miguel Costa Miguel Costa says:

This field should work in the same way as the “Additional Dependencies” in the custom build rule. If it’s not, then there is probably a bug in the rcc target (and maybe moc and uic as well). Could you please create an issue for this in https://bugreports.qt.io/projects/QTVSADDINBUG? Thank you.

Lee says:

Can I use Qt VS Tools to develop with LGPL version of Qt5, or it’s only for customers with commercial license?

Miguel Costa Miguel Costa says:

Yes, the Qt VS Tools work with both commercial and LGPL versions of Qt.

Alexander Golde says:

Thank you for this new version, the import is a lot faster now and I can build almost all of my converted projects.

But there seems to be a bug related to the length of the generated of the new moc sections.
We removed the includes of our main app until the converter was able to add the to the visual studio project.
The magical length is something greater than 1725 chars, longer strings seems to cause an error and prevents the insert of the into the generated Visual Studio project file.

Miguel Costa Miguel Costa says:

Can you please create an issue for this in https://bugreports.qt.io/projects/QTVSADDINBUG? Thank you.

Andrea says:

Version 2.1.2 was working just fine, but after an automatic update 2.2 is not working for me. It looks for bin/Qt5Core.dll in my Qt installation directory but I have a debug build so only Qt5Cored.dll exists. Alsso it complains it cannot access the installation directory at all. Downgrading extensions in VS is not possible as far as I know, so I installed the inofficial Qt extension QtPackage which luckily works like a charm.

Miguel Costa Miguel Costa says:

We are looking into this problem and will release a fix as soon as possible. In the meantime, you can work around this by copying the Qt5Cored.dll to Qt5Core.dll. For instructions on how to revert to a previous version of the Qt VS Tools, please see my comment below.

Markus says:

I have tried out the new version a bit now, and I must say: Good work! The performance improvements especially on large projects are huge and make the plugin much more usable than it was before. Only one new bug with moc-generated files (QTVSADDINBUG-514) which I can work around for now.

One improvement of 2.2.0 that you mentioned nowhere: It is now possible to use CONFIG-=flat, i.e. QTVSADDINBUG-439 was fixed. This makes it much easier to work on big projects.

What I am still missing in the plugin are the following two features:

* QTVSADDINBUG-428 -> Add support for the qtquickcompiler – this should also benefit from the recent architecture changes, and I believe it should be in your interest to fully support commercial features everywhere.
* QTVSADDINBUG-412 -> support debugging QML code – this is a real pain point in the moment when debugging more complicated issues. The real benefit of using the VS IDE currently is the superior (compared to Qt Creator) debugger for C++, but having no possibility to debug QML code forces me to use Qt creator for QML projects.

Are there plans to implement these two in the next releases?

Miguel Costa Miguel Costa says:

Thanks for the feedback. Better support for QML is something we will definitely be working on next. In any case, if you haven’t yet done so, you can vote for the issues you would like to see implemented.

Eos Pengwern says:

Can this new Visual Studio integration approach handle both 32-bit and 64-bit installations of Qt in parallel? I abandoned the use of the VS plug-in several years ago because I needed to maintain 32-bit and 64-bit builds of the application side-by-side, and it was forever falling over because the single environment variable that pointed to the qt directory (was it QTLIB? I can’t quite remember) had to point to either the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version, not both.

I still use Visual Studio as my main Qt development environment, but each time I create a new header file I write all the moc’ing stuff into the custom build rules manually – it’s a pain, but you get used to it. If Verdigris supported Visual Studio I’d have used that to eliminate the moc step altogether, but as far as I know it still does not.

Is there some better way of supporting 32-bit and 64-bit environments in parallel, than I’m unaware of?

Christian Stepanik says:

I was surprised today by the automatic update from 2.1.1 to 2.2.0. Now it takes up to 10 seconds to save ONE CPP FILE. I tried to go back to 2.1.1 but the new update is installed automatically again when msvc is opened – no chance to uncheck this f***** option. So I needed to disconnect from internet until the version 2.1.1 is installed and I unchecked the automatic update option.
A lot of people in my company have the same issue…
You must be kidding us…

Mike Jongejan says:

You can disable the automatic update of all extensions in Visual Studo settings. That is what I did to avoid the automatic update to revert to a previous version.

Mike Jongejan says:

It seems that there is a major performance issue with version 2.2.0. This occurs mainly on large solutions in my opinion. I have a solution with 156 projects in it, when I start building the solution, the devenv.exe process will hange for up to 30 seconds before actually starting to build. It will take 15/40 % cpu load.

When I disable the Qt Visual Studio Tools extensions, building starts instantly.

The problem also occurs with 2.1.2, but at least that seems a lot faster (about 3 seconds before starting to build).
All PC’s at my company are expiriencing this lag since the automatic update. I see a lot of sad faces over here.

This is an issue that must be resolved, every small incremental build will now take me at least 30 seconds while freezing Visual Studio.

I’m wondering what the plugin is doing before starting the build, seems to be scanning something, the more files in the solution, the bigger the issue.

Miguel Costa Miguel Costa says:

Are you using the Qt-specific MSBuild rules and targets or the previous approach based on custom build steps? If you’re still using custom build, can you please convert your projects to the new MSBuild-based approach and see if there is any improvement? If after conversion there is still a performance issue, please report it here: https://bugreports.qt.io/projects/QTVSADDINBUG. Thank you.

Mike Jongejan says:

Thanks, I will convert the solution and file a bug report if it still occurs.

Couple of things I did run into:
– No possibility to convert an entire solution/solution folder/multiple selected folders.
– When selectingconvert to Qt/MSBuild I’m getting ‘No projects to convert’

– How can I get binary resource files to compile properly? When I set the properties of the resource file to be binary, it tries to compile to binary file, causing the build to fail.

Francois says:

We have the same problem, of performance issue with this new version 2.2.0 (with a 15 to 30 projects loaded).

We try to convert the custom build rules to the new system, but we have lot of error. Some because we used $(SolutionDir) inside our .vcxproj, .props and other I was not able to understand yet.

Miguel Costa Miguel Costa says:

We are looking into the reports of performance problems and will try to have a fix as soon as possible. In the meantime, to revert to a previous version of the extension:
1. Uninstall version 2.2.0;
2. Disable automatic updates in Visual Studio (Tools > Options > Extensions and Updates > Automatically update extensions);
3. Download the previous version from https://download.qt.io/official_releases/vsaddin/ (or, for v2.1.2 https://download.qt.io/development_releases/vsaddin/ );
4. Open the extension package (.vsix file) to install.

Francois says: