Trolltech’s Berlin Office

Published Wednesday April 19th, 2006
14 Comments on Trolltech’s Berlin Office
Posted in Qt

So, we are making some progress with our expansion into Germany. Here are some pictures of the office building we currently favor. It’s a rather old building from the former Academy of Sciences of the GDR, but beautifully renewed. Nice address, too: Albert-Einstein-Strasse, Berlin. The guy on the right hand side, standing smiling in the entrance hall, is me. But don’t worry, Trolls don’t normally wear suits, and German Trolls won’t neither.

Here you find a picture of the building from above. It’s the tall gray building in the middle, with the egg-shaped entrance hall in front of it. It’s the tallest building in the area, which guarantees a great view in all directions. Getting interested? Here are some images of the entire area. While the Adlershof technology park is a bit outside Berlin, downtown Berlin is only a few minutes away by train. Many people working on the park do indeed live downtown.

But offices don’t write code, developers do. If you look at www.trolltech.com, you will find that we are indeed looking for good software engineers, for Berlin and for the other office locations. If you enjoy writing Qt or KDE applications, and always wanted to be able to change Qt without having to send patches to qt-bugs, then this is your chance. The “I don’t want to relocate to Norway”-argument doesn’t count anymore. And the “I don’t want to relocate to Berlin”-argument doesn’t count either, because you can most certainly relocate to Norway! I’ve heard concerns from some developers that they didn’t feel good enough to apply. That’s bogus. For one, you can always apply, it costs nothing. For the other, if you write Qt applications or KDE libraries, you are very likely good enough. Qt’s quality stems from the fact that we work together well, not that we are all ueber-programmers.

If you want to give it a thought and have some questions prior to sending in an application, please talk to me or your nearest Troll on IRC. Looking forward to hearing from you – soon!

Picture the beautiful facade Picture of the office that could be yours
The beautiful facade The office that could be yours
The entrance hall

Posted in Qt

liquidat says:

Nice to read that you are settling – it is a sign that Trolltech keeps growing which is good for KDE πŸ™‚

And about jobs: tell me when the first job is offered for someone who has almost no programming skills (studied physics instead) then I will apply immediatly πŸ˜‰

liquidat

wysota says:

Waiting for an office in Poland πŸ™‚

ettrich says:

Come on, Wysota, it’s so close to the Polish border, you could almost commute πŸ™‚ Seriously, I hope those few miles won’t stop you or anybody else from applying.

wysota says:

The problem is I’m quite far from the polish-german border which about quarduples the distance. 5 hours (or more?) by train in one direction is pretty much to be going to work everyday, don’t you think?
Unless you have so high wages one could afford going by airplane πŸ˜‰

Quido says:

If I had any experience in programming I would apply πŸ™‚
I did study computer science but haven’t produced one real application since I got my degree 2.5 years ago. Maybe in the future, I plan on picking it up again and become a reasonable talented developer. So see you in a couple of years πŸ™‚

ettrich says:

They do have apartments and houses in Berlin, too πŸ™‚

Will Stokes says:

It’s my dream one day Trolltech decides to open a development office in Chicago. Enjoy this opportunity all you German Qt developers. πŸ™‚

kai says:

It’s great to hear you picked Berlin for your German office! I still have a year to go before I will have my bachelor, so it’s too early to apply for a job =

Uwe Liebrenz says:

Great to hear that ! If you need a system administrator LPIC2 certified who would be glad to keep you guys doing your job while running your network smoothly I would apply.
Seriously, to whom do I send my CV ?

Greetings.

Ian Monroe says:

I’m a year from finishing my Computer Science degree. Assuming I don’t join the Peace Core or something I’ll definitely put in an application. The fact that you are not located where I am currently (Missouri) is a selling point for me. πŸ˜‰

Ian Monroe says:

I’m going to graduate from Computer Science in a year. I’ll definitely apply then. Unlike others, the fact that Trolltech isn’t located where I am currently (Missouri) is a point in its favor. πŸ˜‰

Axel Jäger says:

Too bad: I have to study first.

wysota says:

I suggest you move the office to Poland anyway :))))))

Maxim Bunin says:

I’m very glad that you open office in Berlin. I hope you’ll like the atmosphere in this city. I live and work for already 2 years in Berlin (by the way near Adlershof) and realy enjoy to be here. If you need Unix/Linux administrator with almost 10 years of expirience, who speeks a little bit Norwegian πŸ™‚ (my wife is a teacher of Norwegian language) please let me know. I will apply immediately.
Welcome to Berlin!