Pretty cool.
It’s definitively there to counter Windows Presentation Foundation, where you can do things like QGraphicsView while still having widgets inside.

Why is there no anti-aliasing?

Andy Brice says:

>those are real QDialogs btw

Er, define ‘real’. ;0)

kwilliam says:

That looks pretty cool! (Although I agree with the guy above about anti-aliasing) Just imagine all the fun effects moving widgets through 3d space could generate.

Someone says:

I think I just wet my pants :$

Anon says:

Oh, holy wow. That’s awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

Andreas says:

Andy: As in embedding any instance / subclass of QDialog including children, including your own favorite custom widgets.

Antialiasing, I just didn’t enable it for this example. Come on I can’t believe nobody’s commented on the fact that there’s window frames, shadows, activation, input focus,…. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Actually there is antialising, they just have it turned off, i think. Antialising slows things much on 1000 or more widgets.

And there is no 3D as you can think. It is just 2D transformation on dialog. There is no 3 coordinates, but every QGraphicsViewItem have z coordinate that means is it on top or on bottom.
It means you get box with coordinates (x,y,z)(0,0,3) ( 0,100,3) (50,100,3) (50,0,3) x and y may vary, but not z.

Someone says:

Well, the window frames and input focus is what gave me the wet pants ๐Ÿ˜›

Can’t wait to see it in action with my own eyes on my own system! ๐Ÿ˜€
(I guess it’s not in the snapshots yet?)

Enrico Ros says:

Impressive! I just want to grab it and integrate in the application we’re working on for a customer… and shock him!
This falls more into the black magic dept than the eye-candy one ๐Ÿ˜‰
Good job Andreas & Teammates!!

Andre says:

Way cool… This really brings zooming function for interfaces a step closer. Impressive work!

Frederic says:

Is there some kind of input transformation applied to the widgets?

Juan says:

This is impressive Andreas, I can’t wait to use it, so inspiring work!

HoussemBDIOUI says:

Next step: compiz-like effects in Qt ๐Ÿ™‚

Sverre says:

I guess the dialog is trapped inside the GraphicsView?

Alex_Z says:

Hei, Anders!
1. What about ActiveX’s? Will its work correctly when inserted to a scene by this way?
2. Performance? Suppose that there are many sliders (or widgets like trend view), connected with some dynamic variables in the scene. Which implementation will be faster – direct inserting sliders to the graphics view or using of QGraphicsWIdgetItem? I mean drawing only of course.
Just now I’m porting my canvas based app to Qt4, and scenes should be able to contain widgets. There is no need in transformation of widgets, but it will be very usefull to control z-value of widget items, for example.