Qt 4.4.0 fully released

Published Tuesday May 6th, 2008
19 Comments on Qt 4.4.0 fully released
Posted in KDE, News, Qt

Qt logoThat’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for… or dreading. We’ve worked for long months getting it done and you’ve all been asking for it. Some of you even realised it has already been available for a few days, unannounced… And now it’s finally, at last, there!

Qt 4.4.0 is released

Last week, we had a sneak release to current customers. And now it’s on the Trolltech homepage for the world to see. To make your life easier, here’s a download button:

Download Qt

We’re quite proud of this release. It’s the most feature-packed release of Qt ever and certainly the largest release since Qt 4.0.0 itself. This release adds:

• The Windows CE platform
  • The Phonon new module: multimedia integration
  • The QtWebKit new module: web integration
  • The QtXmlPatterns new module: powerful XML support
  • The QtHelp new module: flexible help support
  • The QtConcurrent framework: parallel programming
  • A new network resource access stack
  • Support for regular widgets on Graphics View
  • Support for non-native windows
  • Support for shared memory
  • Support for inter-process semaphores
  • Support for painting on auxiliary threads
  • Support for atomic operations on integers and pointers
  • Improved printing support
  • A new Qt Assistant
  • And much more, since I will never be able to remember everything we’ve done

Not happy with all of that, we’re also bringing you:

Continuing with the tradition started with the past minor release, we bring you those who did the work:

Oslo team Berlin team
Oslo team Berlin team

Trivia: there’s someone on both pictures. Can you spot who?

Posted in KDE, News, Qt

danimo says:

The Italian, it’s The Italian! πŸ™‚

Alessandro says:

@danimo: Bingo! πŸ™‚
@Simon: Ooops, sorry for hiding you…

SmrtSkoso says:

Great job guys and gals! Can’t wait to see how KDE people will take adventage of all the nice features in Qt 4.4. BTW the news about Qt 4.4 is already on Digg: http://digg.com/programming/Qt_4_4_Framework_Broadens_Rich_Application_Development and goodness is ready to spread πŸ™‚

asdfhjkl says:

Please fix the file on server for debug libraries of open source edition for Mac – it links to commercial edition (thus requiring to type a license key). The offending file is at ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-mac-opensource-4.4.0-debug-libs.dmg . Thanks

girish says:

This is one helluva great release, awesome job guys πŸ™‚ Two of my features: New delegate for item views (QStyledItemDelegate) and new Style Sheet features like Customizable icons, styling dock widgets.

BTW, it was supremely painful to register for 4 times for the white papers! May be a “give it all to me” link πŸ˜‰ ?

danimo says:

And look what Qt Embedded for both Windows CE/Mobile and Linux (Framebuffer) can do: http://dist.trolltech.com/video/wince/qtembedded44video.html

danimo says:

If you are watching anyway, don’t miss the demo of Qt/Embedded on Linux and Windows CE/Mobile: http://dist.trolltech.com/video/wince/qtembedded44video.html

I love Qt πŸ™‚ . It’s the greatest toolkit I know and with Qt 4.4 I love it always more πŸ™‚ .

Thiago Macieira says:

@asdfhjkl: You’re missing the G key in your nickname πŸ™‚

You’re right, the debug-libs package for Mac is incorrect. The MD5 checksum of the file currently on FTP matches the commercial debug-libs.dmg file I created. We’ll fix this soon. (FTP update isn’t instantaneous)

Sverre says:

The phonon music player in the examples won’t launch. says “Could not launch the example. Ensure that it has been built”. Using win xp sp2.

metrics says:

Downloaded the demo app but when I installed it none of the text is readable.

Screenshot of the problem here http://score5.org/files/images/Qt%20Demo%20Unreadable%20Fonts.preview.jpeg

coolboy says:

Opensource edition compiled failed in vs2008 with VC2008FeaturePack installed.
it seems
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCincludexrefwrap
error, when compiling qt_binding in webkit.

coolboy says:

detailed error message
Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.21022.08
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

cl -c -FIWebKit_pch.h -YuWebKit_pch.h -Fptmpobjdebug_sharedQtWebKitd_
pch.pch -nologo -Zm200 -Zc:wchar_t- -Zi -MDd -GR -EHsc -DQT_SHARED -DQT_THREAD_S
UPPORT -DUNICODE -DWIN32 -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DBUILDING_QT__=1 -DUSE_SYSTEM_M
ALLOC -DNDEBUG -DQT_MAKEDLL -DQT_NO_CAST_TO_ASCII -DQT_ASCII_CAST_WARNINGS -DQT_
MOC_COMPAT -D_USE_MATH_DEFINES -DBUILD_WEBKIT -DENABLE_ICONDATABASE=0 -DENABLE_X
PATH=1 -DENABLE_SVG=1 -DWTF_CHANGES=1 -DBUILDING_QT__ -DWTF_USE_JAVASCRIPTCORE_B
INDINGS=1 -DQT_DLL -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -I”……..in
cludeQtCore” -I”……..includeQtCore” -I”……..includeQtNetwork” –
I”……..includeQtNetwork” -I”……..includeQtGui” -I”……..in
cludeQtGui” -I”……..include” -I”..WebKitqtApi” -I”..JavaScriptCore”
-I”..JavaScriptCorekjs” -I”..JavaScriptCorebindings” -I”..JavaScriptCorebi
ndingsc” -I”..JavaScriptCorewtf” -I”..JavaScriptCoreForwardingHeaders” -I”.
” -I”ForwardingHeaders” -I”platform” -I”platformnetwork” -I”platformgraphics”
-I”loader” -I”page” -I”css” -I”dom” -I”bridge” -I”editing” -I”rendering” -I”hist
ory” -I”xml” -I”html” -I”plugins” -I”……..includeQtWebKit” -I”tmprccde
bug_shared” -I”tmp” -I”generated” -I”tmp” -I”..JavaScriptCore” -I”..JavaScript
Corekjs” -I”..JavaScriptCorebindings” -I”..JavaScriptCorebindingsc” -I”..
JavaScriptCorewtf” -I”..JavaScriptCorebindingsqt” -I”..JavaScriptCoreos-wi
n32″ -I”..JavaScriptCorepcre” -I”f:LibsQt4.4.0src3rdpartywebkitWebKitBu
ildDebugJavaScriptCorekjstmp” -I”platformqt” -I”platformnetworkqt” -I”pla
tformgraphicsqt” -I”platformgraphicssvgqt” -I”loaderqt” -I”pageqt” -I”..
WebKitqtWebCoreSupport” -I”..WebKitqtApi” -I”.” -I”ForwardingHeaders” -I”..
..webkit” -I”..JavaScriptCorekjs” -I”..JavaScriptCorebindings” -I”platform
” -I”platformnetwork” -I”platformgraphics” -I”platformgraphicssvg” -I”platfo
rmgraphicssvgfilters” -I”loader” -I”loadericon” -I”css” -I”dom” -I”page” -I”
bridge” -I”editing” -I”rendering” -I”history” -I”xml” -I”html” -I”bindingsjs” –
I”ksvg2″ -I”ksvg2css” -I”ksvg2svg” -I”ksvg2misc” -I”ksvg2events” -I”platform
image-decoders” -I”f:LibsQt4.4.0includeActiveQt” -I”tmpmocdebug_shared”
-I”.” -I”……..mkspecswin32-msvc2008″ -Fotmpobjdebug_sharedqt_class.ob
j ..JavaScriptCorebindingsqtqt_class.cpp
qt_class.cpp
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCINCLUDExrefwrap(62) : error C21
43: syntax error : missing ‘)’ before ‘constant’
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCINCLUDExrefwrap(87) : s
ee reference to class template instantiation ‘std::tr1::_Pmd_caller’
being compiled
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCINCLUDExrefwrap(62) : error C21
43: syntax error : missing ‘;’ before ‘constant’
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCINCLUDExrefwrap(62) : error C22
38: unexpected token(s) preceding ‘;’
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCINCLUDExrefwrap(62) : error C29
88: unrecognizable template declaration/definition
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCINCLUDExrefwrap(62) : error C20
59: syntax error : ‘constant’
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCINCLUDExrefwrap(62) : error C20
59: syntax error : ‘)’
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCINCLUDExrefwrap(70) : error C23
34: unexpected token(s) preceding ‘{‘; skipping apparent function body
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCINCLUDExrefwrap(76) : error C21
43: syntax error : missing ‘)’ before ‘constant’
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCINCLUDExrefwrap(76) : error C21
43: syntax error : missing ‘;’ before ‘constant’
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCINCLUDExrefwrap(76) : error C22
38: unexpected token(s) preceding ‘;’
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCINCLUDExrefwrap(76) : error C29
88: unrecognizable template declaration/definition
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCINCLUDExrefwrap(76) : error C20
59: syntax error : ‘constant’
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCINCLUDExrefwrap(76) : error C20
59: syntax error : ‘)’
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCINCLUDExrefwrap(84) : error C23
34: unexpected token(s) preceding ‘{‘; skipping apparent function body
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: ‘”C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCBIN
cl.EXE”‘ : return code ‘0x2’
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: ‘”C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0VCBIN
nmake.exe”‘ : return code ‘0x2’
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: ‘cd’ : return code ‘0x2’
Stop.

Thiago Macieira says:

Guys, blogs are not bug-reporting tools.

Raghu says:

Good work ! It was really a customer delight release…
I could build without trouble.

Wish you all better wealth with Nokia offer πŸ™‚

Mocky says:

Congrats to you all. Great job.

Great release and some nice new features!

But still some problems with static builds.

Concerning the bug with VS9 + Feature Pack: This is not the fault of Trolltech,
but of Microsoft, or more exactly of P.J. Plauger.
To resolve, remove the line “#include ” from C:qt4.4.0src3rdpartywebkitJavaScriptCorewtfMathExtras.h.

For the interested: The header file “xmath.h” does a “#define _F0 1”, and the file “xrefwrap”
(included later) uses the name _F0 as a parameter in some templates.
Took me some time to hunt that one down.

Philippe says:

Indeed, the best framework design I have ever encountered in 20 years of programming. Now for next version, I wish something like (not virtual)…
Qt4_5->ensurePolished();

Erik says:

Congratulations! Especially with all the “background” distractions a very impressive release!