On the look-out for good people

Published Wednesday July 1st, 2009
24 Comments on On the look-out for good people
Posted in Contributors, KDE, Qt

Scope up!

We are looking for good developers, QA people and technical writers who would like to work for Qt Software, aka Qt R&D in Nokia. All our offices have open positions.

http://www.qtsoftware.com/about/careers/job-openings (redirects to our job portal).

The Brisbane, Berlin and Oslo offices all have ads out looking for Software Engineers who would like to be a Troll, as part of Qt. As sculpturs are required to show their portfolio of er… statues…?, we require all developer candidates to submit source code together with their application. Show us your code!

You can become an active contributor to WebKit, or work on tuning innerloops in our graphics systems, perhaps interface against native I/O and network system calls, contruct new architectures and APIs, you name it. Qt covers must subjects and you can choose to work on the area that interests you the most. Our team has developers from all over the world, covering all kinds of specializations within software development.

Qt R&D has a quite flat organizational structure, with flexible work hours and several benefits that help ease your day-to-day life. Trolltech was a company founded by developers. We’re still the same people. We develop code the way developers want to work. Our development model allows great freedom to each developer.

We need your brain, your crazy ideas, your doc writing skills, your thoroughness and attention to detail, your sense of humor ;-).

So, have you ever thought about working on Qt? Well, what’ya waiting for?!

Posted in Contributors, KDE, Qt

naresh says:

I wonder if i’m not to young. I have almost 3 years experience (10 months half-time, and rest full-time work) with Qt, and i’m using Qt since 4.0. I’ve used also Qt3 for short time. Oh, and I’m even not 21 yet… I’ve started with little open source project called NokiX (only user interface). It was my very first software written in C++. http://nokix.pasjagsm.pl/download/nokix_main.tar.gz Then after while i’ve started with my own IM. http://developer.berlios.de/projects/qxygen/ first version, and http://gna.org/projects/qxygen (fork with plugins). Now I’m working at http://www.tlen.pl/macosx (i can’t submit sources). What do you think? Should I try or shouldn’t I waste Trolls time.

Scorp1us says:

Somewhat interested… Maybe finally I can make that static, blocking QHttp::get() method! lol (Sorry Thiago, I just had to!) The joke in the office is that I am Trolltech spy. (I’ve gotten the last 3 companies I’ve worked for to buy Qt)

I’ve got all kinds of ideas for Qt, but not the time (or permission) to implement them! Could one say work remotely (US East coast)?
And what are the salary ranges?

Giuseppe says:

To finish my studies? ๐Ÿ˜›

Anon says:

To magically become about 20x better? :p

aep says:

same here ๐Ÿ˜›

Dave says:

Any chance for someone to work remote, e.g., from home in the USA?

Andreas says:

Guiseppe, aep: Go on and finish your studies, it’s the smartest choice you’ll ever make :-). Chances are we’ll be looking for people for many years to come.

Dave: We’re looking for people who can relocate to either of the three locations. It’s just too tough to work remotely when most of the team you’re working with is sitting together in one location…

Kensai says:

Nokia Qt Software, formerly known as Trolltech, develops the Qt application framework, which has been used in applications such as Google Earth, Adobeยฎ Photoshopยฎ Elements and by leading Hollywood film production companies. It is also used in wide variety of consumer eletronics, from mobile phones to coffee machines. A unique aspect of Qt is that it enables commercial and open source developers to write an application once and deploy it on all major operating systems. Over 250 people, known as Trolls, work as a part of an international team known for its passion, fun and creative Fridays. The sales activity for our main products Qt is growing fast in our major territories and Qt has a solid customer base, containing a large number of internationally well branded companies. Our customers use our tools for highly valued developments of applications in different areas such as EDA, Medical, consulting, Telecommunications, Automotive, among others.

(bold is mine)

What I really love about Qt is its ability to work nearly everywhere. There can been examples of applications in almost any device imaginable, making it a truly learn-once-deploy-everywhere toolkit. By using powerful C++ you can build nearly anything and its fantastic GUI tools cover the language’s traditional lack of good interface design libraries.

Is the recent onslaught of Qt Software job openings a sign of a healthy software solution? I bet it is!

Seriously now, if you have a coffee machine powered by Qt just let me know… ๐Ÿ˜€

trungthanh says:

I like qt framework very much.
Can I work for qtsoftware online. I live in Vietnam (an east-south asia country)

harald says:

@trungthanh: We currently don’t have any open developer jobs in Vietnam, but we are looking for Qt Consultants on a per-project basis from time to time. Keep checking our open jobs page.

Thiago Macieira says:

Kensai: there are Qt-powered coffee machines.

Bruno says:

@trungthanh and @Dave:
I am in charge of Customer Services in APAC and regularly uses consultants from the region. Send me your resume and references to your work done with Qt or related techno (multimedia frameworks, WebKit, …). I’ll let you know when I have any work in your field of expertise.

Dave, I’ll forward your profile as well to my counter part in US.

You can reach me at:
bruno dot raymond [at] nokia dot com
remove spaces.

It’s like you’re taunting me! I’ve been looking for a new job for a while now, but I simply can’t relocate right now. Despite being in the second largest city in the UK (Birmingham), I’m really struggling to find anything that would allow me to use open-source tools & toolkits like Qt.

If only I could relocate, I’d apply in a trice!

khs says:

want offices in Russia ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sylvain says:

I would like offices in Basel (Switzerland)
๐Ÿ™‚

QtFan says:

Great news!

I hope I’ll work with you in “the years that come”. ๐Ÿ™‚

adkiller says:

Where do you e-mail the code portfolio to?

There is NO e-mail address provided here:

Huss says:

Given the new ownership is there any chance of an office opening in Finland?

DaveL says:

I’m a little under 2 months away from finishing a Comp Sci Phd, after which I’ve been planning on looking for work in Brisbane. I was telling someone about a month ago that if the Qt Brisbane office was hiring I’d apply in a heartbeat…

I don’t have any work related C++ I can get hold of, and with the clock ticking on the thesis I don’t have much spare time.

So any tips on how big the code sample should be? I’ve put some time aside to get my resume and cover letter together, but I’m not sure that I’d be able to clear more than a day or two for the sample code.

Thiago Macieira says:

@Huss: yes, there’s a very good chance we’ll need skilled people in Finland. If not for Qt Software, then maybe for other parts of Nokia that are using Qt.

Thiago Macieira says:

@DaveL: the code sample should be something that shows that you know how to program and you know C++. You don’t have to spend an entire week on it — we can’t review a work that big anyway. What we want is basic assurance you know what you’re applying for.

We have received a number of applications that are really close to spam: people apply to us just because the position was open in the Nokia page, without really realising what they were applying for.

Wesley Stessens says:

I guess I’ll be finishing my studies first as well ๐Ÿ˜‰ at the very least still 4 years to go until I have my masters degree; have just finished my first year of college. But hey, it’s a fun time for me; fun projects, and lots of parties ๐Ÿ™‚ I kinda do hope that in 4 years Qt Software will have expanded so much that I could just stay in my own country when I apply for a job though ๐Ÿ˜€ Nothing wrong with hoping, right..

Majed Dolaimi says: