Qt Creator 2.0 beta

Published Thursday May 6th, 2010
34 Comments on Qt Creator 2.0 beta
Posted in Maemo, QtCreator, Symbian

More than a month has passed since the release of Creator’s 2.0 alpha release. The Berlin trolls were truly busy, not only with fixing reported bugs, but also by improving the overall developer experience. This beta is another milestone in the 2.0 release cycle, as we hope you will test-drive this release, to ensure 2.0 will be rock-stable, and to get to know the new features that were introduced.

Most changes are small but important details, like a shiny new options dialog, but also fundamental changes which aim to help development of a single application on multiple targets: the beta now extends shadow building to support different build directories per target. The code model was also improved, so that defines in the .pro file are respected in the editor as well as for auto-completion. A hard decision however was to disable the Qt Quick visual designer for 2.0 by default. Henrik has shared his thoughts in a blog post.

The alpha blog post was mentioning external contributions, but missed the biggest single contribution so far: The Mercurial plugin, written by Brian McGillion. Kudos Brian, Mercurial support was a frequently requested feature!

The bigger picture

qtcreator-beta-targets.png
Target support: New projects mode, popup target selector.

For all those who haven’t been following the development of Qt Creator 2.0 closely, here are most significant changes since 1.3.1: Project parsing was greatly improved, with Creator now using multiple threads in addition to honoring the .pro file defines as mentioned above.

As the version suggests, the new version also means changes in the overall functionality. The GUI is now optimized to handle multiple targets, which conceptually have become aspects of a project. This reflects in a new layout of the projects page, which now allows to set build- and run settings per target, as well as the newly introduced target selector, where you can quickly switch between different targets and projects.

People frequently suggested to separate design and code view, which was implemented for 2.0. This is especially useful when using the QML visual designer, but also works for classical .ui files. To make up for the additional space required for the new mode, the output mode was replaced with the option to enlarge the output window. And of course we introduced support for the new python backend for GDB.

For a more verbose changelog, take a look here.

Finally, Qt Creator has become the heart of the new Nokia Qt SDK, which brings the integrated Qt development experience to Maemo and Symbian developers. For the curious, Maurice answers a lot of question in his blog post. Note that we will also ship the Qt SDKs for Linux, Mac and Windows desktop development, but they are not part of this release.

Get your hands dirty!

You can download the Nokia Qt SDK, which includes the beta, or get a creator-only binary installer from the release page. Note that the Nokia Qt SDK does not contain a desktop version of Qt. If you want to develop for the desktop, why not try the Qt 4.7.0 beta?

Posted in Maemo, QtCreator, Symbian

stephenju says:

Is this beta release built from the same branch as the current 1.3.83 snapshots? Are snapshots going to move to a newer branch?

Thorbjørn Lindeijer says:

Yes. And yes, the snapshots will now move to the 2.0 branch.

What is the difference between this release of QtCreator 2 BETA and the beta distributed with Nokia SDK?!

Eike Ziller says:

@andrea: there’s not much of a difference, but the version shipping with the Nokia Qt SDK Beta has support for the Qt Simulator, which hadn’t been added to the Qt Creator standalone Beta yet.

So actually, if you use the Nokia Qt SDK, you’re better off using the Qt Creator version shipped with that. (The changes have been integrated into Qt Creator 2.0 in the meantime, so for the RC/final this difference will be gone.)

Kensai says:

Looks amazing. I really like Qt Creator’s non-clogged looks and streamlined (à la Adobe Lightroom) workflow in the design and development of an application. You are in the right track.

IMHO a modern IDE tool should always crave for simplicity and a modular design. In other words, keep it simple and add extra or advanced functionality with plug-ins (add-ons) for those users that really want it. This is a major way to win back developers from Visual Studio or Eclipse who might have been fed up with bloated IDEs.

PL Samuel says:

Still having issues with “The Qt Version has no toolchain.”, and yet I had built this Qt 4.6.1 version with the -developer-build option… Where can I validate that I have “the toolchain”? Little help?

Daniel Molkentin says:

@PL Samuel: It would help to know more about your platform, compiler, etc. The toolchain is the compiler plus tools (e.g. make). This means either GCC or MinGW or MSVC, etc. Usually, Creator can tell what toolchain a particular Qt was build with. This seems to fail in your case. The -developer-build option should not have any part there.

PL Samuel says:

@Daniel Molkentin: Working on Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic), qt 4.6.1. I mention the -developer-build because it was mentionned as a solution in: http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2010/03/11/qt-creator-20-alpha/

But now that you’re explaining it, my linux-libc-dev package, and others, got updated recently on my dev machine, but I haven’t recompiled my Qt… Could that be it?

PS: I do not have this issue with Qt Creator 1.3.1, works perfectly.

Daniel Molkentin says:

@PL Samuel: when you hover over the Qt version in the Qt 4 page on the options dialog, how do the pathes look like? (are they the pathes you expect). Btw: You can get the same output by invoking $QTDIR/bin/qmake -query.

anonymous says:

Couldn’t someone bother to make a screen shot on Linux?

Daniel Molkentin says:

@anonymous: no

Daniel Molkentin says:

On a more serious note: This is about showing functionality. Creator looks more or less the same on all platforms. To make it completely fair we would have to take screenshots of Windows, OS X and Linux (both KDE and Gnome), and then the BSD guy comes along…

I also think it’s pretty balanced, e.g. http://labs.qt.nokia.com/blogs/2010/04/22/peek-and-poke-vol-3/ has the screenshots taken on Linux, while another recent post uses OS X.

stephenju says:

So the Mac beta is Intel only? There’s nothing on the download page about this.

Is PPC no longer supported?

GuidoSeifert says:

2.0 and still not emacs bindings. 🙁
There are two keystrokes without I simply cannot (ok, want not) live with: ctrl-a and ctrl-e.
I cannot even configure them myself. No ‘gotoBeginningOfLine’ or ‘gotoEndOfLine’ function.

Eike Ziller says:

@stephenju: PPC is supported in the sense that you can take the sources and compile for that platform. But for the binary packages we restrict to 2 architectures, which are i386 and x86_64 (since we now support 64 bit, by using the Cocoa based Qt for the binaries).

stephenju says:

@Eike Ziller: The choice of x88 and x86_64 doesn’t make much sense to me. Yes, I understand the need to limit the download and support effort. And yes, as a developer I also understand being at the cutting edge is cool. But people with any of the x86 boxes can run 32-bit x86. There’s no Macs that require 64-bit apps. And Creator itself doesn’t really benefit from 64-bit code, if at all. We don’t edit source files that are larger than 4GB. And all the compiling and linking are done with executable external to Creator execution space anyway.

The point is, your choice of including only x86 and x86_64 covers only x86 family of Macs, leaving out all of the PPC Macs. With x86 and PPC, you allow all Macs to use the app without losing anything.

PL Samuel says:

@Daniel Molkentin: Here’s a screenshot of what I see in Qt Creator options: http://files.myopera.com/Luchio/files/qt4.6.1_creator.png Everything seems to be in its right place…

PS: $QTDIR is undefined on my system, but I suppose that you meant that metaphorically.

PL Samuel says:

@Daniel Molkentin: Here’s what I see in QtCreator options http://files.myopera.com/Luchio/files/qt4.6.1_creator.png . Everything seems to be where its supposed to be…

PS: $QTDIR is not defined in my env, but I suppose that you meant that metaphorically.

Peter says:

Yes, lack of Emacs keybindings is the only thing that keeps me from switching. It is _that_ important to a lot of professional developers I know.

Deb says:

Will it be possible to make some use of Qt::WA_MacSmallSize, especially in the table views of the Designer? I feel the font size is way too large on OS X.

il_bale says:

I downloaded and installed the Mac binary from the link above, but the version number in “About Qt Creator” says version 1.3.83. Do I have the correct version?

Daniel Molkentin says:

@il_bale yes, 1.3.83 is the Beta

il_bale says:

@daniel, thanks, somehow the “2.0” denomination got me confused

André says:

@Peter: Just implement it. Given that the vim guys managed to come up with FakeVim there’s no reason why the Emacs folks should not be able to do something similar.

jpnaude says:

I can’t get the Python debugger to work in the beta. The debugger output page says:

dTRYING TO START ADAPTER
dSTARTING GDB
dUNSUPPORTED GDB C:ToolsQtQtCreatorBeta2mingwbingdb.exe DOES NOT HAVE PYTHON.

Any ideas? I thought the gdb that comes with the beta would have Python. I need it because the normal debuggers also does not work even though they are compiled correctly etc.

Daniel Molkentin says:

The GDB you should use would be in C:ToolQtQtCreatorBeta2PythonGDBgdb-i686-pc-mingw32.exe (for MinGW). For other architectures, see the other gdb executables in the same directory.

PL Samuel says:

@Daniel Molkentin: Any thoughts on the screenshot I posted? Should I report a bug?

Felix says:

Emacs keybindings exist as a third party plugin:

Daniel Molkentin says:

@PL Samuel: Please do.

Daniel Molkentin says:

@Felix: Nice! Would you consider adding it to Creator?

Hari says:

This is not directly related to Qt Creator, but figured I have a better chance of being ‘heard’ from a developer’s blog than the corporate forum. Hence posting here.

While installing the Qt SDK on my Windows Vista running on VMWare Fusion, it failed to create any of the start menu shortcuts. Choosing ‘Retry’ from the messagebox did not help.

After it failed for the first few shortcuts (I chose to Ignore and continue), the next time I got the error, I tried to create dummy shortcut entries with the same name as the ones that the installer was trying to create and then tried the ‘Retry’ option. My judgement was that perhaps the usage of forward slashes or long filenames without enclosing them in appropriate quotes was causing the failure. Anyway this worked!

Now it will be helpfull if someone can tell me the shortcuts under the “Nokia Qt SDK – beta releaseSymbian” folder and their targets? I want to create them manually.

Daniel Molkentin says:

@Hari: Actually, you will be heard by the right people if you file a Nokia Qt SDK bugreport at http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com.

Newbie says:

Dear Experts,
I am completely new in QT arena. please can you help me step by step.
Using Ubuntu 9.10 karmic kola.
Downloaded the bin file of Qt creator lunux 2.0.0 beta version and installed it and tying to build a sample application.
My QT creator 1.3.8.3 based on QT 4.7.0

1. First it cribbed about make file, i fed it by installing sudo apt-install qmake.. and point the make file to usr/bin/qt4/qmake.

2. It has a cross mark to it still as i compile the sample .pro file (please suggest which one to open and run)
i get QT version invalid error, my attempts to feed 4.7.0 as seen in screenshots of QT and also attempted 1.3.8.3 was not accepted.
3. Further google suggested, i have IDE and now need libraries and etc and asked me to install qt-sdk so i downloaded sudo …install qt-sdk ..
4. the opt folder in the root is empty as i see in google to feed some files in opt folder to automatically take version number.
5. Please would be immensely greatful if some finger hold me with steps to do including any flag settings to successfully build some sample applications so that i can work on my own applications.
Thanks a lot.
AG

RVijay007 says:

I really love the IDE style for QTCreator and would love to implement it in my Qt applications. How can I find and use the QStyle() that you guys used for QtCreator in my own Qt Application?