Second beta of the Smart Installer released

Published Thursday May 6th, 2010
11 Comments on Second beta of the Smart Installer released
Posted in Qt, S60, Symbian

An updated version of the Smart Installer for Symbian has been released.

Download the Smart Installer v 0.18 (second beta)
We already had a previous beta release, and now a lot of the issues reported on that one are solved. Note, the previous beta was version 0.09 (not 0.9 as I blogged) – so increasing to version 0.18 actually makes sense πŸ™‚
I already explained how to use it in the previous blog entry, so I suggest you just go there and follow the steps there to try it out. Here is a short changelog of whats new in v0.18:

Increased stability by rewriting the application engines:Β - better error handling

- more robust downloads in poor network conditions

Smoother UI flow by reducing amount of prompts:

-  you still sometimes get the IAP selection, that will be hidden whenever possible in the future

Installation continuation:

- select Smart Installer from the application menu and pending installation continues

- only one pending installation is supported

I’ve made two applications available to install and try out. They are both properly Symbian Signed. Spot the one that involved a professional graphical designer btw? πŸ˜‰ Just click on the image to install.

Bossatetrix Weather app (from INDt)

And to prove it’s actually working. Here is a video of a the weather app above being installed on a Nokia 5800.

In the video there are at the moment four prompts. We are working on getting rid of the Internet prompt – and then get it down to three. When used together with the OVI client the number of prompts will go down to one or even zero. Note: The order of the prompts in the video and what you experience will be different as I updated the .sis after I taped the video. The prompts at the moment are:

• Install wrapper app?
  • Install Smart Installer?
  • Go online?
  • Where to install?

We expect the Smart Installer to be ready for commercial use mid-2010.

Posted in Qt, S60, Symbian

detro says:

Looks very good, and should solve much of the concerne around how big packages can get with Qt statically linked or the alternative “ask the user to install this package first”.

3 things:
1) Can you please ask Nokia/S60 guys to modify the PlatSec questions with a “Don’t ask anymore” tick? It’s frustrating…
2) The Smart installer will be always installing the “latest stable release”? Or is it possible to build apps that declare stuff like “Depending on 4.7”, and expect the Smart Installer to deal with this?
3) (connected with 2) Will the Smart Installer support multiple version of Qt available on the device at the same time? (I guess it’s not much about the Smart Installer itself, but more about S60).

Great Jobs guys!

Diederik says:

This is pretty cool news, I’m eagerly waiting to apply my Qt skills for mobile development. Will you also provide the Qt package via the software updates?

suy says:

I hope that in the final version you could be able to install the whole thing in the mass memory (not just some). I could install Qt and the demos in my N81 in previous releases in the mass memory, because the phone memory didn’t have enough space. Sure, applications started slowly, but once up and running, were quite snappy. I wish I can install Qt applications there, and the mass memory is my only choice.

Kensai says:

I think the procedure should become even more fire-and-forget. What about having only one prompt with multiple choices once?

Is it possible?!

non7top says:

The weather application doesn’t respond to any command, had to kill with task manager πŸ™

espenr says:

Answering questions time:

@detro 1) Excellent suggestion. If I do met someone who might actually fix this I’ll tell em. I’ll also punch him very hard for forcing users to click Next-OK-Next-Yes-Yes-OK on every app install πŸ˜‰

@detro 2) At the moment it’s like this. If you make an app with Qt x.y.z the Smart Installer will install at least x.y.z. If x.y.z is already on the device (or a later version) then nothing new is installed. If an older, let’s say x.y.z-1, is installed – then we upgrade to whatever is the latest stable Qt. That might even be an x.y+1.z release. That’s how I understand it anyways.

@detro 3) Not at the moment no. We’ve got two Qt’s running at the same time on a device (using -qtlibinfix or whatever the configure switch is called) but it’s not a supported feature.

@diederik: Hopefully. Working on it. Will keep you posted if it happens.

@suy: Startup time of 15seconds OK for you? At the moment, because of funky-stuff in the Symbian Security model it takes forever when the Qt libs are installed in mass memory and you start an app (hint: generating CRC of .dlls X amount of times)

@Kensai: We can get it down to only one prompt if we we take the smartinstaller.exe out of it’s own .sis and just includes it in the wrapper .sis – but then the wrapper .sis won’t work when it’s just self-signed. Need TrustedUI for some of the silent install features.

@non7top: It might be missing some last-minute-fixes. I just clone’d the depot and built it – might be it’s actually branch’ed of another repo I don’t have access to. At least the Smart Installer worked for you – look on the bright side πŸ™‚

vladest says:

Second beta complitely freezed my N97 (have to remove battery) on “Download and install” stage
Internet connection type is WiFi

vladest says:

Tried second time and this time all works fine
btw, SmartInstaller reports its version as 0.17(1). is this correct?

espenr says:

@vladest: yeah 0.17 is correct, if you check the version of the “adm” part of the smartinstaller (the one that gets downloaded over the internet) _that_ has version 0.18 πŸ™‚

wwwcitizen says:

While the first beta didn’t work at all the second one 17(1) halts on “Preparing installation” progress bar forever. I got few prompts, I think there were

# Install wrapper app?
# Install Smart Installer?
# Go online?

But then it stopped on “Preparing installation”

My pkg’s are:

[0x101F7961],0,0,0,{“S60ProductID”}
[0x102032BE],0,0,0,{“S60ProductID”}
[0x102752AE],0,0,0,{“S60ProductID”}
[0x1028315F],0,0,0,{“S60ProductID”}

; Default dependency to Qt libraries
(0x2001E61C), 4, 6, 2, {“Qt”}

; Executable and default resource files
“/S60/devices/Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0/epoc32/release/gcce/udeb/n97.exe” – “!:sysbinn97.exe”
“/S60/devices/Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0/epoc32/data/z/resource/apps/n97.rsc” – “!:resourceappsn97.rsc”
“/S60/devices/Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0/epoc32/data/z/private/10003a3f/import/apps/n97_reg.rsc” – “!:private10003a3fimportappsn97_reg.rsc”
; DEPLOYMENT
“c:/Users/Roma/dev/svnroot/ellinsys/dev/SMSScheduler/symbian/n97/images/search.png” – “!:imagessearch.png”
“c:/Users/Roma/dev/svnroot/ellinsys/dev/SMSScheduler/symbian/n97/images/addContacts.png” – “!:imagesaddContacts.png”

; Manual PKG post-rules from PRO files

; Default HW/platform dependencies
[0x101F7961],0,0,0,{“S60ProductID”}
[0x102032BE],0,0,0,{“S60ProductID”}
[0x102752AE],0,0,0,{“S60ProductID”}
[0x1028315F],0,0,0,{“S60ProductID”}

; Default dependency to Qt libraries

“C:/Users/Roma/dev/svnroot/ellinsys/dev/SMSScheduler/symbian/n97/n97.sis” – “c:admn97.sis”
@”C:/Qt/4.6.2/smartinstaller.sis”,(0x2002CCCD)

———————————————–

I tried it several times. The device is N97. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Roma

BoBo says:

It prompt an error when install to E71 device.