Qt 4.7.1 and Qt Mobility 1.1.0 released

Published Tuesday November 9th, 2010
45 Comments on Qt 4.7.1 and Qt Mobility 1.1.0 released
Posted in Announcements | Tags: ,

An upgrade to Qt, Qt 4.7.1, and the final release of Qt Mobility 1.1.0 were released today. Both are now available for download.

Qt 4.7.1
Qt 4.7.1 is a patch release that addresses several minor issues present in Qt 4.7.0. It also introduces OpenGL support for Symbian.
To download it, visit http://get.qt.nokia.com

Qt Mobility 1.1.0
Qt Mobility 1.1.0 has reached final release. Qt Mobility 1.1.0 is the latest version of Qt Mobility, a collection of APIs and frameworks oriented towards mobile application development.

Qt Mobility 1.1.0 contains new Qt APIs, a number of enhancements to existing APIs, QML bindings for relevant APIs and support for the MeeGo platform. The new APIs include Organizer, Versit/Organizer, Document Gallery and Feedback.

In terms of API enhancements, the Location API has been extended with a Maps and Navigation API and camera functionality has been added to the Multimedia API. In addition, the Service Framework API now has support for IPC based service invocation.

Qt Mobility 1.1.0 also contains support for the MeeGo platform.
Read more about Qt Mobility at http://qt.nokia.com/products/qt-addons/mobility

Qt Add-Ons and Qt Solutions
Qt Mobility 1.1.0 is the first Qt product to be released as a Qt Add-On.
Qt Add-Ons are components that add value for Qt developers but are not contained within the core Qt libraries. Future Qt Mobility releases, as well as other components (still to be announced), will be made available as Qt Add-Ons from now on.

This change coincides with the Qt Solutions set of components being discontinued, effective immediately. Nine of the Qt Solutions components will be moved onto a GIT repository and placed under a BSD license. The remaining components will be removed from Qt’s product portfolio.

Qt Creator 2.1 Beta 2
A Beta 2 version of Qt Creator 2.1 was also released today. It contains the tooling components of Qt Quick, as well as improvements to many other areas. It can be downloaded at http://qt.nokia.com/developer/qt-qtcreator-prerelease#download

Qt SDK
No new Qt SDK is being released today. An updated SDK will be released once the tooling for Qt Quick is finalized. This will occur within version 2.1 of the Qt Creator cross-platform IDE, which is scheduled for release before the end of 2010.

Qt 4.7 for Symbian^3 – developer version
In addition to today’s releases, a developer version of Qt 4.7 was recently made available for developers targeting Symbian^3 (note that Symbian^3 and Symbian^4 are now referred to as simply ‘Symbian’).

Qt 4.7 for Symbian^3 is currently for development purposes only. It can not be used to deploy Qt 4.7 applications to Symbian^3 devices. Developers wishing to try it out and provide feedback to us can do so by downloading it at

To learn more about all of these releases, visit http://qt.nokia.com

To provide feedback and share your thoughts on our products, visit our Qt Developer Network forums at http://developer.qt.nokia.com

Posted in Announcements | Tags: ,

Jason says:

Some of the Qt Solutions ought to be re-factored into add-ons and not just mindlessly dumped into a git repository. Of course, these were all solutions that were useful for the desktop, and seeing that Nokia only cares about mobile, I doubt they’d actually revive these projects. So in a sense, this move is expected. Kill off the old glorious desktop solutions — easy Qt ways to make services, browser plugins, javascript w/o webkit, jpeg2000 support, etc — and instead just replace it with a mobility api. Great.

Please revive these. Please find something to do with them. Don’t let old great code rot.

Henry Haverinen says:

@Jason: thanks for your note! I don’t think we’re just dumping these solutions to gitorious, but we’re relicensing them under the very flexible BSD license – which I think is a positive thing. To give you an example of some continuity, the browser plugin has been identified as an item on the QtWebKit roadmap at http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTWEBKIT-112. (On the other hand, proprietary browser plugins are not really the hippest thing at the moment…)
Our current implementation of the Qt Script module is another example – it is still a part of Qt and can be used for JavaScript without WebKit.

We care about the desktop platforms and we’ll continue to invest on our desktop ports. We’re also “dogfooding” by releasing complex apps like Qt Creator and the Ovi Suite on the desktop ports of Qt.

linkdown says:

the download link is down… http://get.qt.nokia.com

jhnlmn says:

Where is the download link?
still contains Nokia Qt SDK 1.0.2.
I downloaded it, but it still contains the old SDK.
So, where is the new SDK?

Henry Haverinen says:

@jhnlmn: we didn’t update the SDK with this release. We’ll release a new SDK when Qt Creator 2.1 is ready.

lassi says:

so when can we expect these to hit usual consumers handsets?
(finally opengl, yay)

xizzhu says:

Any plan to push the binary for M5?

Eero Penttinen says:

@lassi: We have earlier indicated 1Q 2011. Might be that some devices will get those earlier though.

rentoc says:

Linux 32 Qt SDK offline installer give a segmentation error…what’s wrong?

Henry Haverinen says:

xizzhu: I don’t think we have a definitive plan for that

rentoc: The bug tracker is the right place to discuss this issue. Is this the same problem: http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTSDK-281?

garfield says:

to Henry Haverinen:

how do I update qt and qtcreator in nokia qt sdk?

Catalin says:

I was very glad to hear that OpenGL support is finally coming for Symbian platform but unfortunately I couldn’t manage to build any of the opengl examples…found out that QtOpengl module is not there :(. Am I missing something or do I need to build Qt from sources to get OpenGL (I’m using Qt installed from qt-symbian-opensource-4.7.1-s60.exe).
I’m also a little confused because the Qt for Symbian – developer version page from Nokia (http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Qt_4.7_for_Symbian%5E3_-_developer_version) states that “… Qt 4.7.1 is need to compile for Qt Open GL which will be available later.” but on the other hand the 4.7 platform notes page (http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7/platform-notes-symbian.html) states that “QtOpenGL ES – Planned for future release.”
Can someone please shed some light on this?

Catalin says:

Update: Managed to build Qt for Symbian (-platform win32-g++ -xplatform symbian-abld -opengl-es-2) and afterwards I was able to build opengl examples. Unfortunately I cannot install the sis packages onto the phone; I get “Unable to install. Qt, version 4.07(1) or newer is required”. I installed the Qt for Symbian 4.7 developer edition packages on the phone and followed the steps from Forum Nokia. I suppose that this happens because that developer edition is version 4.7.0?

Marina says:

I tried install Qt Framework 4.7.1, Qt Mobility 1.1.0 and Qt Creator several times. Making everything to work together is mission impossible.
I can’t run examples, the worst thing is that to figure out what everything need to be installed you have to google whole day and when you think “ok, everything is ready now”, it is not. Every time some stupid error is shown in compile output.
I just don’t understand why people from Nokia allow release of semi-product. If Nokia Qt SDK is not ready, i also don’t understand why doesn’t exist link with described installation steps, for example : 1) Install Perl (download link is here) . You have to do this and this, bla bla 2) Install Qt Framework 4.7.1 (link is here) 3) Install Qt Mobility (link for download is here) following these instructions …..

I love Nokia, but sorry these release is awful

Regards,
Marina

garfield says:

I agree with Marina. Can’t set up the tools, all I see are errors I can’t understand/google up

Henry Haverinen says:

@Marina, @garfield, @Catalin: Qt 4.7.1 is a patch release, and I understand that using these framework releases is a bit hard right now, since we don’t have an SDK release that would wrap them up. There will be an SDK release as soon as possible that will make it very easy to start Qt 4.7 based development on Symbian.

Meanwhile, we are preparing a binary of Qt 4.7.1 for Symbian^3 for developers (similar to what we did for Qt 4.7.0 at http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2010/10/18/qt-4-7-for-symbian3-developer-version-available/). We’ll also publish instructions on how to build and install Qt 4.7.1 for Symbian^3 with OpenGLES for development purposes – and we’re expecting to make the instructions and the binaries available within 1-2 weeks.

The platform notes need to be updated, thanks for pointing that out. I created http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-15340.

We hope this helps.

Ginomi says:

I’m wondering if someone were able to build and test some Mobility 1.1.0 example, both in the emulator or device.

I was able to build just for Symbian S60 5th ed, device, but probably I missed somthing cause on the device the examples doesn’t run…

Any advice?
Can you help us posting a step-to-ste guide on how setup a dev environement from scratch?

Catalin says:

@Henry Haverinen – thanks for the update, great news, I’m looking forward for that 😉

Tonnot says:

Nokia, It is wonderful that you release these improvements, but I think you have a pending subject with the Documentation you offer.
Many people keep on searching solutions to multiple problems of QT (You only have to see your official forum…)

Wenz says:

will be better to get the N8 installed the SDK runtime and Mobility as a default firmware update.

Hi guys 🙂
As said by @catalin before, the post says that Qt 4.7.1 for Symbian has OpenGL support, however the QtOpenGL.dso file (which was supposed to live in epoc32/release/armv5/lib directory) does not exists. Is this an issue from my installation or in fact the provided Qt 4.7.1 for Symbian package misses this? Thanks in advance.

Henry Haverinen says:

@Bruno Abinader: the Qt 4.7.1 binaries for Symbian that are available on the download page only support the previous versions of Symbian/S60, not yet Symbian^3. As I mentioned above, we’ll provide a developer binary package for Symbian^3 with support for OpenGLES soon.

Sergey says:

Hello guys.

I am trying to build and use Qt Moblity and I can’t. Is there any “manual” or “howto” which can help me to solve the issue? I am really looking forward for your replies.

Thank you in advance.

Garfield says:

@Sergey
There is. Inside the package, read INSTALL.txt.

Sergey says:

@Garfield
It was the first thing that I have done. Ok, maybe that couple questions about this page: After I have done
cd c:QtMobility%DISTNAME%
configure -prefix %TARGET_DIR%

Which step should be the next one?

Garfield says:

@Sergey
Read it again. It says ‘make’

Sergey says:

@Garfield
Sorry, I haven’t specified my OS – it is Windows 7. For Unix – I am agree, it is just make, but it doesn’t work in Windows with Qt 4.7.1.

Garfield says:

@Sergey
Sure, you have to put your mingw compiler’s location in PATH (and qmakes too).
If it is already there, type mingw32-make

Serhiy says:

I try to build QT4.7 but cannot. When I run
c:Qt4.7.1-symbian>configure.exe -platform win32-g++ -xplatform symbian-abld -opengl-es-2

on my Win7 x64 I got

g++ -c -oproject.o -O -I. -Igenerators -Igenerators/unix -Igenerators/win32 -Ige
nerators/mac -Igenerators/symbian -IC:Qt4.7.1-symbian/include -IC:Qt4.7.1-sy
mbian/include/QtCore -IC:Qt4.7.1-symbian/include -IC:Qt4.7.1-symbian/include
/QtCore -IC:Qt4.7.1-symbian/src/corelib/global -IC:Qt4.7.1-symbian/src/corel
ib/xml -IC:Qt4.7.1-symbian/mkspecs/win32-g++ -IC:Qt4.7.1-symbian/tools/share
d -DQT_NO_TEXTCODEC -DQT_NO_UNICODETABLES -DQT_LITE_COMPONENT -DQT_NO_PCRE -DQT_
NODLL -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPRESS -DUNICODE -DHAVE_QCONFIG_CPP -DQT_BUILD_QMAKE
-DQT_NO_THREAD -DQT_NO_QOBJECT -DQT_NO_GEOM_VARIANT -DQT_NO_DATASTREAM -DQT_BOO
TSTRAPPED -DQMAKE_OPENSOURCE_EDITION project.cpp
g++: CreateProcess: No such file or directory
mingw32-make: *** [project.o] Error 1

Catalin , could you please say you configuration (OS, software) or better publish QtOpenGL.dso and QtOpenGL.lib?

Serhiy says:

I resolved the last issue
but I have got another

Sergey says:

cd C:mobility
configure -prefix=C:NokiaQtSDKMobility -release

After everything was done I typed
mingw32-make
mingw32-make install

Serhiy says:

I have builded QtOpenGL.lib for debug-winscw. I am building for debug-gcce. I will write about result

Serhiy says:

LIBS += -llibglesv2
into hellogl_es2.pro.

I am going to build QtMobility later.

Serhiy says:

I have builded Qt 4.7.1 by abld for Symbian ^3 0.9 SDK. And I have founde that helloopengl_es2.sisx builded from this need installed Qt 4.71 or later installed on phone 🙁

I start building Qt 4.7.0…

Serhiy says:

I have compiled and runned hellopengl_es2, Qt 4.7.0. It works perfect and give 60 fps for debug version of application.

But cannot build the helloopengl_es that based on OpenGL ES 1. do anybody know, will the qt for symbian support OpenGL ES 1.1/1.0 ?

Serhiy says:

The question is closed. I have builded and runned helloopengl_es for my N8. Just have added
DEFINES += QT_OPENGL_ES_1
LIBS += -llibglesv1_cm

into *.pro file.

Serhiy says:

And, I hope it is last comment about QtOpenGL – I have not can build QtOpenGl for Qt 4.7.0. I have builded QtOpenGl.dso for Qt 4.7.1 and copied it to Qt 4.7.0.

David Stone says:

@Serhiy and @Sergey have you tried Qt Developer Network with your comments and questions? The forums and wikis there should provide you with more info than you can get on this blog 🙂
It’s all at http://developer.qt.nokia.com/

Ahmed Sabbour says:

Is there a planned release for Smart Installer to include Qt 4.7.1 and Qt Mobility 1.1.0?

John Angus says:

When will there be an easy to install version of Nokia SDK which supports Mobility 1.1.0 please?

Excuse me for being annoying, but correct me please what I am doing wrong. As I have read in Windows part of the documentation, I have installed ActivePerl. After that unpacked Qt Mobility archive. After that I started Qt command promt and typed there following: cd C:mobility configure -prefix=C:NokiaQtSDKMobility -release After everything was done I typed mingw32-make mingw32-make install All as it was explained in the installation guide. After that I set up the PATH variable to the configured directory, but I am still not able to use API. I would very thankful for any help! Thank you in advance.

Nona Mills says:

I have builded QtOpenGL.lib for Qt 4.7.1 for symbian. And I have got some undefined references from hellogl_es2 project. It was fixed by adding LIBS += -llibglesv2 into hellogl_es2.pro. I am going to build QtMobility later.

Henry Haverinen says:

@John Angus, @Sharron Clemons, @Nona Mills, @Ahmed Sabbour, please consider trying out the Qt Developer network at http://developer.qt.nokia.com/ for getting more info and better comments than this blog 🙂

There will be an easy-to-install SDK and over-the-air deployment for the new Qt and Qt Mobility libraries, and we’re going to make the OpenGL ES capable Symbian^3 binaries available in conjunction with that. Good things take their time, but while waiting, you might find aportale’s recent blog interesting: http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2010/12/12/start-with-qt-4-7-for-symbian-today/.