Qt Mobility 1.1.0 Released

Published Tuesday November 9th, 2010
51 Comments on Qt Mobility 1.1.0 Released
Posted in QtMobility

We are very pleased to announce the release of Qt Mobility 1.1.0. We are especially proud of this release because of the latest announcement on Nokia’s strategy with Qt and Qt Quick as a primary development framework. QML bindings included in this Qt Mobility release is very well aligned with this strategy and will give you a competitive edge in developing stunning applications.

There are many cool new features in this release, in addition to the aforementioned QML bindings. First of all, the Camera API that extends our Multimedia API. Then there is the Maps and Navigation API is added to Location API and the Nokia Ovi Maps online-maps plugin, which is provided as part of the package! Landmarks API is also added in order that that you can manage POIs on your map.

The release also contains APIs such as the Organizer API and iCal support from Versit/Organizer API. You can create multiple calendars, access an online calendar and send invitations with these APIs.

Our Feedback API allows you to incorporate haptics or other non-tactile feedback with your applications. You can search the contents on your device easily with Document Gallery.

Last but not least Service Framework API now supports the IPC based service invocation.

I would like to mention again the benefit of QML bindings. A lot of common use cases in Qt Mobility APIs are exposed in QML context and ready to be used in your QML applications. We believe that this will reduce the development time significantly and give the designers more power to prototype working applications faster. We will be continue furthering our QML support in future releases. For example, QML finalization to our Maps and Navigation API’s.

We sincerely hope you to enjoy this exciting package!

Update – A Nokia signed sis file is added to the download page. Please use this sis file to override any Mobility binaries that are already installed on a device.

Posted in QtMobility

Don says:

First of all congratulations, and thanks!

Will the Symbian maps and navigation service provider (“nokia” or otherwise) use the offline map data on the device (including for routing), similar to the ovi maps application, or also rely on the ovi webservice (and thus data connection)? Will support for vector data at some point be added, so that one can re-create eg the ovi maps 3D view?

Keep up the great work 🙂

2beers says:

QML Maps api will be something cool. when do you estimate that will be ready?

José Xavier says:

It’s now possibly copy to clipboard?! I mean copy text from a qt aplication for an inpute message dialog like an adress to symbian browser!?

Dave says:

@Don

The “nokia” plugin uses the ovi webservices. We have offline data and vector data on our radar, but there are still things that we need to address internally before we can say more.

@2beers

Soon (I hope). Although the QML bindings will be available in git for a while (potentially keeping the “not quite done” warnings in the docs) before it makes it into a proper release.

Minjung Shin says:

@Jose
There is no support for this in yet. I created a suggestion in the task tracking system so that it gets considered during a roadmapping process. http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTMOBILITY-708 It is hard to tell when this is going to be provided at this point. Thanks.

José Xavier says:

@Minjung Shin

Thanks, i thought that it is already in roadmap.

Minjung Shin says:

@Jose
Actually, there is a clipboard feature within QtGui module. QClipboard. You can use that even though there are some open bugs. http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-11037 It may work for your use case, copying texts. Let me know how you go, I will close the suggestion I made earlier. Thanks.

Yun-Ta Tsai says:

Hi,

Any idea when bluetooth will become available in QtMobility?
Thanks!

Minjung Shin says:

@ Yun-Ta
Hi, Bluetooth API is scheduled in Mobility 1.2 which is coming in the first quarter of 2011. For more information please have a look at here. http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTMOBILITY-633 Thanks.

Torsten Rahn says:

Hi,

Just for your information: There is an alternative Qt-Only map widget and library available as part of the KDE project:

It has a design philopsophy that is a bit different from the Qt Mobility maps solution. But it handles offline map data, we got vector rendering covered and during our KDE Marble Sprint Weekend we had also the first steps of an OpenGL prototype working (http://blip.tv/file/4354030, the Ovimaps mode used in there is not part of Marble and will not be distributed due to the Terms and Conditions of the Ovimaps services). Also Qt Quick bindings are in the works: http://blip.tv/file/3628925 , http://blip.tv/file/3628969.

Minjung Shin says:

Please note that there is a Nokia signed sis file available in the download page. It is required to use this sis file to effectively override any existing Mobility binaries on a Symbian device.

Axel Jäger says:

Do you plan to have USB-host API like libusb available as well?

Jonas says:

When do we get qt mobility 1.1 packages for Maemo 5 ?

Hi,

I built the new Qt Mobility 1.1.0 with Qt 4.7.1 , but I had to add two missing include to
qt-mobility-opensource-src-1.1.0/src/systeminfo/qsysteminfo_linux_common.cpp :
#include
#include

1.) rint and log is used in this line: int percent = (int)rint ((log (token.toInt(&ok)) / log (92)) * 100.0);
2.) QSocketNotifier is used in this line: QSocketNotifier *notifier = new QSocketNotifier (inotifyFD, QSocketNotifier::Read, this);

br,
Ossy
University of Szeged – WebKit Team

Thiago Macieira says:

@Csaba: please report this in the bugtracker. As you can see, the information was lost in the post.

Minjung Shin says:

@Axel
We have USB support in the back log of Local Connectivity API. In 1.2, Bluetooth and NFC is delivered in Local Connectivity. USB support is not yet scheduled.

@Jonas
Mobility 1.1 packages for Maemo5 is in preparation and will be available in the near future.

Thanks.

Joe says:

When will Qt Mobility 1.1.0 (or 1.1.1) be included with the Nokia Qt SDK?

It is currently very confusing and difficult to get them to work together. In fact, after 1 day of messing around, I gave up trying this on Linux and now seem to at least have it working on Windows Symbian. The simulator is still not working with Mobility 1.1.0 though…

For those using the new Map API, here are two (LGPL) plugins for Open Street Map and Google Maps: http://xf.iksaif.net/dev/qtm-geoservices-extras.html . Routing and Search manager are not yet implemented for Google, but feel free to send patchs :).

Dave says:

Just a quick note on the mapping plugins. Firstly – nice. I’m glad to see people making use of the plugin interface.

Secondly, I wouldn’t recommend them for serious use. Not because there’s any problem with the plugins themselves, but (from my understanding) Open Street Maps probably wouldn’t appreciate the extra traffic to those particular servers and the Google plugin might be in violation of the Google Maps terms of service. If I’m wrong on either of those fronts then I apologize wholeheartedly.

There’s been some efforts from others to work on the same kind of plugins, so I might see if I can work out how they’ve dealt with those issues (making the huge assumption that they’ve dealt with those issues) and get back to you. I’ll post here when I find out and might send you an email as well if you like.

Corentin Chary says:

Are there is no way to get mail notification for comments, I’d appreciate if you sent me and email.

Alex says:

I have the same question like Joe…I’ve been trying whole day to set up Qt Mobility 1.1.0 working with Symbian 4.7.1. Unfortunately, I still can not run any example on my mobile phone..going back tomorrow, but now, ah, there is no simulator, and I’m dying for Nokia Qt SDK with Qt Mobility 1.1.0…got used to easy things. Any announcements in the near future?

Alex says:

Or at least, you can provide some detailed instructions about running QtMobile examples on Desktop and Mobile phones(Symbian 3 or 60). For example:
1. System requirements: Perl, etc…Qt 4.7.1 for default OS (right??)
2. Installation steps:

Alex says:

Or at least, while you are trying to make new Nokia SDK, you can provide some detailed instructions about running QtMobile examples on Desktop and Mobile phones (Symbian 3 or 60). For example:
1. System requirements: Perl (link), etc…Qt 4.7.1 for default OS (right??) (link)(link)
2. Installation steps:
– Install perl
– Depending on OS install libraries… (if Win7, go to VS2008 command prompt, set installation folder, run qmake…bla bla)

3. Running examples
-………………………

I really like Nokia Qt SDK package because it’s easy for use, but this release it far from it….

Thank you.

Minjung Shin says:

@Joe & Alex,

Sorry to replying so late. There will be a new version of Nokia Qt SDK available in the coming weeks and it will include Mobility 1.1.0. And there is an installation guide in the documentation.
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1.1.0/installation.html. Can you please go through the steps in this doc and let us know if there is any further issues?
Thanks.

Joe says:

@Minjung
Thanks for your reply. The first issue I had was filed under http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTMOBILITY-730 and it was easy to fix myself. I am wondering though why this was not caught in your internal build server because vanilla 1.1.0 doesn’t compile at all under Linux.
In any case, after fixing the include issue, I was trying to compile 1.1.0 under Linux (Ubuntu 10.10 x86_64) with the Qt binaries included with the Nokia Qt SDK (1.0.2) under ‘Nokia-Qt-SDK-1.0.2/Simulator/Qt/gcc/bin’ but apparently it cannot find some struct that was declared elsewhere.

The compilation error is as follows:
In file included from mobilityconnection.cpp:43:
mobilityconnection_p.h:87: error: ‘VersionStruct’ does not name a type
mobilityconnection_p.h:98: error: ‘VersionStruct’ does not name a type
mobilityconnection.cpp:56: error: ‘VersionStruct’ does not name a type
mobilityconnection.cpp: In member function ‘void QtMobility::Simulator::MobilityConnection::connectToSimulator()’:
mobilityconnection.cpp:149: error: ‘struct QtSimulatorPrivate::ApplicationConnectCommand::Request’ has no member named ‘version’
mobilityconnection.cpp:149: error: ‘mobilityVersion’ was not declared in this scope
mobilityconnection.cpp:152: error: ‘mSimulatorVersion’ was not declared in this scope
mobilityconnection.cpp:152: error: ‘struct QtSimulatorPrivate::ApplicationConnectCommand::Reply’ has no member named ‘version’
make[2]: *** [../../build/Debug/QtMobilitySimulator/mobilityconnection.o] Error 1

I was not able to resolve this issue. It seems that 1.1.0 is really broken under Linux which is the first time I’ve had a Qt library fail so badly on me in five years.

Dave says:

Just an update on Corentin’s maps plugins.

We’ve swapped some emails and it turns out that the plugins are both fine. The Google Maps API imposes some terms and conditions on the Google plugin, but they’re pretty similar to the terms and conditions for the Nokia plugin that we ship with already.

Good work Corentin!

Luis says:

I tried to install this Qt Mobility 1.1.0 release (qt-mobility-symbian-1.1.0-symbian3.sis) on a N8 and it failed – “Update Error (43)”. I tried then to uninstall the existing Qt Mobility from the N8 and tried again to install again. It now gave me the message “Unable to install (-5)”. Before installing this package, I had installed the “Qt 4.7 for Symbian^3” package.

Before trying all this, I had Qt Mobility 1.0.2 installed and working on the N8.

Am I missing something?

Luis says:

Yes, I was missing something … corrected now 🙂

Minjung Shin says:

@Joe

Thanks for your bug report. QTMOBILITY-730 is already fixed as Lorn replied. 1.1.1 will be made available very soon.

Regarding the other compile issue, this is caused when building Mobility with a simulator enabled Qt version (Nokia Qt SDK). Since the Qt SDK doesn’t ship the relevant private headers but unfortunately enables some code paths in Mobility which are not meant to be enabled. The fix is to use a plain vanilla Qt build. Please refer to this task for more information. http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTSDK-232
Thanks.

Minjung Shin says:

@Luis,

I hope you find the correct sis file that overrides the existing Mobility installation on N8. It can be found from here. http://get.qt.nokia.com/qt/add-ons/qt-mobility-symbian-1.1.0-symbian3-nokia-signed.sis

Joe says:

@Minjung
Thanks again for your reply regarding the simulator build.
If I understand the information in your link correctly, this means that it is currently not possible to self-compile Qt Mobility 1.1.0 for use in the simulator? Is this correct?
If so, we really need an updated Nokia SDK with Mobility 1.1 built in to be able to use it in the simulator.

Danny says:

I have a problem configuring QT Mobility 1.1.0

It tells me that it cannot find qmake in my path. However, my qmake IS included in my path…Here are the outputs of the following command

“which qmake” – “/home/username/qtsdk-2010.05/qt/bin/qmake
“echo $PATH” – “/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/home/username/qtsdk-2010.05/qt/bin:/home/embest/apps/arm-2007q3/bin:/home/jars/qt-everywhere/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.0”

I have the arm-2007… in my path because the platform will be used to cross compile my QT project onto an ARM architecture system later

Is there a bug in the configure script? Or is my envrionment just not setup correctly?

Thanks for your time!

Danny says:

Oh, I forgot to mention. I am on Ubuntu 8.04 Kernel 2.6.24. Yes it is old, but it matches the working envrionment for the embedded platform I will be cross compiling the QT project onto.

Thanks agian.!

Minjung Shin says:

@Joe,
Yes, that is correct. The private headers that are required to build Qt Mobility with Simulator Qt in SDK is not available at the moment. Our SDK team is going to address at some point. Currently Qt SDK team is working really hard to make a new version of SDK available which will include Mobility 1.1.

@Danny,
Hi It looks like you are trying to build Mobility with Qt in SDK as Joe tried. It is not possible at the moment. The only way possible for now is getting Qt and build it yourself. Or please wait for a new version of Qt SDK will be available.

Danny says:

@Mingjung,

Thanks for your reply. I actually got it to install yesterday using “configure, make, make install” without using the SDK. My problem was that I downloaded the .zip package instead of the .tar.gz package for a Linux system (Silly me…)

However, that brings me to another problem. QT Mobility compiled/built fine under Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, but fails under Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (The environment I am trying to work under). So I am wondering, what is the kernel requirement for the API or the GCC/G++ requirement? Because I already upgraded the GCC library for Ubuntu 8.04 to the same level of Ubuntu 10.04 (4.4.3), but it still won’t compile. It gives me the following error…

/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [../../bin/icheck] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jars/Desktop/qt-mobility-opensource-src-1.1.0/tools/icheck’
make[1]: *** [sub-icheck-make_default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jars/Desktop/qt-mobility-opensource-src-1.1.0/tools’
make: *** [sub-tools-make_default-ordered] Error 2

With a bunch of “undefined references” before that

If it’s not the kernel and the GCC/G++ what could it be? I can only think of those two.

Thanks again for your time.

Danny says:

After updating the GCC, I didn’t do make clean. So I deleted the source folder, redid configuration so I have a fresh start, and this time it built fine.

Sorry for the trouble!

Minjung Shin says:

@Danny

It is good to hear. Thanks for letting us know your progress. 🙂

Lau says:

Hi,

I am trying to use Mobility 1.1 with Qt Creator on windows (for Symbian) WITHOUT rebuilding it. In order to install mobility 1.1 I have done the following:

1) unziped qt-mobility-symbian-1.1.0-epoc32-symbian3.zip on my Symbian SDK (C:NokiaQtSDKSymbianSDKepoc32)
2) replaced the file C:NokiaQtSDKSymbianSDKmkspecsfeaturesmobility.prf with /features/mobility.prf

According to SYMBIAN.install this seem to be everything I need to do. But I run into the following problems:

Problem 1. When I include in mainwindow.h :

#include
#include

Qt creator complain it can not find include files. I “solved” this problem by adding to the INCLUDEPATH line to the .pro file:
….
TEMPLATE = app

INCLUDEPATH += C:NokiaQtSDKSymbianSDKepoc32includemw

SOURCES += main.cpp
mainwindow.cpp
…..

Problem 2. When I build for the debug device targhet I get the following error:

WARNING: Can’t find following headers in System Include Path

(Sys Inc Paths “NokiaQtSDKSymbianSDKincludeQtCore” “NokiaQtSDKSymbianSDKincludeQtCoretmp” “NokiaQtSDKSymbianSDKincludeQtGui” “NokiaQtSDKSymbianSDKincludeQtGuitmp” “NokiaQtSDKSymbianSDKinclude” …

Isn’t the INCLUDEPATH in the .pro enough? Why the generated .mmp does not have the include statement in it? (I do not have experience with QT or Qt Creator, maybe the answer is trivial…)

Lau says:

Correction at step 2) I replaced with “mobility.prf.template”. Actually I renamed it to “mobility.prf”

Lau says:

Sorry for posting again, angle brackets are interpreted as tags and not displayed corectly, The headers I want to include are:

#include <QCameraViewfinder>
#include <QCamera>

Lau says:

Hmm… my question was kind of stupid, the answer is trivial I need to run qmake on the project

Lau says:

Excelent job guys with Mobility 1.1! Keep up the great work 🙂

It took me only several hours to write a simple camera application and run it on the device. I would have spent 5x more writing it in Symbian. And I have yearsof experience with Symian and only about one week with Qt 😉

The only disapoinment is that Qt 4.7 is only available for developers. Any idea when Mobility 1.1 will be part of smart installer?

Diamond says:

I do 1), 2)
I do *.sis from examplescamera, but how install this *.sis on device?

and debug with qt simulator have follow: in function ‘camera’ and undefinite reference *…

Minjung Shin says:

@Lau,
Great to hear that you created an app that quickly. 🙂 I think 1.1 will become available via smart installer early next year.

@Diamond
Please refer to the SDK documentation about installing applications on Symbian.

yogahz says:

@Dave, Minjung-ssi and @Corentin Chary,

Is the plugin for Open Street View mapping still available?

I have been to http://gitorious.org/qtm-geoservices-extras/qtm-geoservices-extras and am getting a “file not found”?

I know that the Google plugin was taken down, has that happened to this one too?
Thanks,

yogahz says:

(Sorry if this is a duplicate)

Is the plug-in provided by Corentin Chary still available? I know the Google Maps was removed for licensing reasons but I would really like to try the Open Street View version.

If the code is at http://xf.iksaif.net/dev/qtm-geoservices-extras.html then I really don’t understand how to get it. (haha) (The git file is not found.)

Thanks

Naveen says:

@Lau,
It is very nice to hear that camera application worked for you,
but same not working for me 🙁
I have installed Qt 4.7 and using Qt Moblity 1.1

Please help me, where m missing?
Thanks in advance!!

yogahz says:

In case anyone is interested – the tarball for the Open Street Map plug-in is available at gitorious, I just had to create an account to have access.

And it works great – thanks to Corentin!

Now I would like a plug-in that does offline maps please 🙂

Wenz says:

what about the TelephonyAPI? it’s really really mean something for mobile applications.

Vindicien says:

hi everyone,

I’m trying to use the camera of my Symbian device. Unfortunely I always get that message :
Qcamera : No such file or directory.

I’ve been looking for the answer for several weeks, followed many tutorials but never found a solution… Has someone met that kind of problem and would like to help me please ?