Eike Ziller

Qt Creator 2.3.0 released

Published Thursday September 1st, 2011
23 Comments on Qt Creator 2.3.0 released
Posted in Qt, QtCreator

We are delighted to announce the new Qt Creator 2.3.0 release today. The release adds lots of smaller and bigger improvements targeting the general developer experience. Since you might not have followed the prereleases I will repeat some of the most important ones here:

• You can find examples and tutorials in the welcome page by searching for keywords now.

Qt Creator 2.3.0

• Coding style options for C++ have been vastly improved and can be defined globally and on a per project basis. Also see the blog post.
  • Profiling has moved to its own “Analyze” mode, and additionally supports profiling QML applications and profiling with Valgrind’s Callgrind.
  • Support for “generic remote Linux devices” has been added. You define your connection for a “Linux Device” in the preferences, and add corresponding deploy and run configurations to your project’s run settings, and there you go. You’ll have to make sure that you use a suitable toolchain for building your project yourself though.
  • Debugging and profiling Qt Quick applications now works for  Symbian and Meego 1.2 Harmattan devices with Qt 4.7.4 installed.
  • Various other improvements to Qt Quick support, like views, models and delegates an Qt Quick Designer including mockup data, improved Live Preview (i.e. modifying your QML while running in a preview), …

See the changlog here for more details, and most importantly get it from our download page!

Posted in Qt, QtCreator

Darryl says:

Hmm.. I’m getting lots of crashes when I try to configure the Tool chain on my Project in Windows. I’m creating build configurations for both 64-bit and 32-bit.

Tobias Hunger says:

@Darryl: Can you please provide a bit more input as to what crashes? A bug report would be best:-)

s200999900 says:

Will the extended in the future function “generic remote Linux devices” to create .deb packages for Debian/Ubuntu linux? For example, this feature is very conveniently implemented for Maemo devices. If it is already done, please let me howto or link where i can read about how it can be configured in QtCreator. Many thanks!

Stephen Chu says:

I am disappointed that QTBUG-20925 (https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-20925) is not fixed before releasing. It’s a Qt bug but it makes Creator’s editor almost unusable.

Christian Kandeler says:

@s200999900: Doubtful, as this is not really generic functionality. I think you can get most of what you want using custom build steps.

Danny says:

Please fix https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTCREATORBUG-3172

It makes this otherwise fantastic IDE almost unusable on smaller screens. Should be a 5 minute job at most, no?

Tobias Hunger says:

@Danny: I use it on my netbook (1024×600 pixels) and it works for me. Yes, the dialog is too big and I need to move the window around a bit sometimes, but I hardly ever need the Options dialog anyway:-) I do agree that this bug is annoying, but hardly crippling.

Chris says:

Are there stability fixes in comparison to the RC? I was unable to use the RC as it would crash at least once an hour, I had to revert back to 2.2. As well, is it possible to move the debug locals and watchers pane? It used to be a tab within the debugger but now it is separated and locked to the right of the screen, taking up a lot of real estate. Other than that though, great work with 4.7.4, qtquick 1.1, and creator 2.3, I am slowly switching away from vim for my daily qt coding.

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

@chris: Turn Window->Views->Locked off, move around, and, if you want to get rid of the unnecessary UI clutter, turn lock on again when finished. Also available in 2.2 (and earlier).

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

@chris: there were something like 50 fixes since the RC in Qt Creator alone, plus whatever happened in Qt 4.7.4. If your crashes are fixed probably also depends on a) what they were, and b) if someone (you?) reported them 🙂

Nagaraj Shenoy says:

I’m facing a weird problem with QT Creator 2.3.. I have a project with multiple .pri files each in seperate folders. I’d designed this big project in 2.2. I’m not able to see the source and header files in 2.3 which I was able to do in 2.2. Interestingly, the project compiles well and I can see all the moc files getting created.

I’m using “$$PWD” in the .pri files for the path to source and header files.. Any suggestions to fix it?

Orgad says:

@Eike: I did. QTCREATORBUG-5507. It was resolved.

Nan says:

My compiler is TDM mingw 4.5.2. I cannot compile release version. QtSupport.dll cannot be compiled. but QtCreator 2.2.1 worked well.

rec says:

Qt Creator 2.3 doesn’t find the version of Qt I have in my PATH so I have to add it manually. My PATH includes C:Qt4.7.4bin (which is where qmake.exe is) and I also have the QTDIR environment variable set and pointing to C:Qt4.7.4

I deleted my %APPDATA%Nokia folder (where Qt Creator settings are stored) and it still doesn’t work.

Not the end of the world but a solution would be nice – how do I force Creator to auto-detect again?

Volker Götz says:

Regarding bug https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-20925, I would suggest to *not* base a Creator release on a beta version of the Qt libs in the future.

I understand, that Creator wants to use some of the new features to improve its own functionality, but using a beta release of the libs – with probably severe bugs in it – for the official release of the application will in turn make the app itself buggy.

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller says:

@volker: Qt 4.7.4 has been released together with the QtSDK 1.1.3 and Qt Creator 2.3.0. Qt Creator 2.3.0 is based on Qt 4.7.4.

Does any one have any idea about latest Qt and Qt Mobility support for S60 V3 FP1 and FP2 devices. The previous version of Qt SDK didn’t have Symbian tool chains for these S60 versions. Also, the remote compiler doesn’t allow me to compile for these mobiles using the latest Qt and Qt Mobility but my mobile E63 works very fine with Qt 4.7.3 and Qt Mobility 1.1.3. The Symbian Components is also missing for these mobiles. I highly doubt whether Symbian ^ 3 and Symbian ^ 1 mobiles are only contributing to Symbian market share. Even though I optimise my applications for S60 V3 FP mobiles I can’t publish my app for them. Does anyone have any help for me.

Volker Götz says:

@Eike Oh, I just spotted that in the about box. That makes matters even worse: a patch release of the libs going into the wild with such an (IMHO) serious regression. But that’s off topic for this blog post, I’ll leave a comment nearby in the Qt release post.

André says:

@Volker: @Stephen: It’s a regression, it’s not nice. That’s it. Creating selections with the mouse using single click + drag is still possible, keyboard selection is unaffected. Calling the editor “almost useless” because of that is quite a stretch from my perspective. The flawed change in Qt has been identified in the bugreport you linked to. Chances are good that it will be fixed in Qt proper. You can fix a local build of Qt 4.7.4 by reverting that change before building. For the SDK version and the nightly builds of Qt Creator such a patched Qt 4.7.4 could be used, but honestly, I doubt it’s worth the effort.

Vitaly says:

@Stephen Chu Wow, just tried this in IntelliJ Idea. Nice feature! However, saying that editor is almost unusable without it is nonsense! I’ve been programming for years without even knowing about it.

Darryl says:

@Tobias Hunger – As I mentioned, I’m in Windows. And as to what crashes? The entire application simply shuts down. There is no debug error dialog or anything. Interestingly, I built it myself in Windows for 64-bit and I don’t get the same crashes. Not sure if it’s related to configuring a 64-bit toolchain in a 32-bit application on 64-bit Windows 7.

I will have to try to investigate as I get some time to do so. I will file a bug report with my steps to reproduce.

sean says:

my group has created a qt quick , we use the e71 simulator and it run, the keypad of simulator is working. But when we transfer it in a phone E63, when we run the game and use the keypad nothing happens. our game is typing a word. can someone help need this tonight!!!!

Geytjie says:

I don’t know if this version is better than before – I only started using it just after Qt 4.7.4 was released. I do have a lot of experience with other gui programs though, and this one seems to promise a lot but makes it almost impossible to find out how.
I ONLY took on the job because Qt promised that applications can be done quick and easy in QtQuick, without knowing much about the programming side.
I have been battling through errors and unsupported files to database libraries that seems impossible for anyone but the very experienced to install.Must have posted hundreds of threads on forums and looked up 10x as many…
Finally my little sqlite-driven program runs without errors, but the resulting screen is blank! I don’t know what to do anymore.
Any suggestions?