Jörg Bornemann

Qt VS Add-in 1.1.10 released

Published Monday December 19th, 2011
22 Comments on Qt VS Add-in 1.1.10 released
Posted in Qt, Windows

Together with Qt 4.8.0 we’ve released version 1.1.10 of the Qt Visual Studio Add-in.
This release contains multiple bugfixes and improvements.
The full changelog is available here.

You can get it here:

If you find bugs, please report them in our bug tracker:

Note: Qt VS Add-in 1.1.10 will be the last release done by Nokia.
We’re happy to announce that the project has been handed over to Digia, Qt Commercial (http://qt.digia.com/) who offers commercial support and will take over future maintenance.

Posted in Qt, Windows

qtnext says:

Is it possible to know which part of Qt is only Qt commercial by Digia in the coming months ?

Collins says:

WTF?!
Users who target Windows will have to rely on what? Creator?
Funny, given the latest Qt Mobility for Windows (not Symbian) source package cannot even be compiled with MinGW.

How much further will Nokia cripple Qt for desktop?

Dian says:

The way I see it, Qt is simply too good to be true, certainly too good to be left alone and independent. When I get to think about it, there is not a single decent c++ library equivalent to Qt, and the frameworks that can complete are restricted to limited platforms and inefficient access through a managed and poorly performing language.

There has not been a single good product which was allowed to stay independent, everything in the past has been purchased by some big corporation and spoiled for profit, it is almost like there is some conspiracy to force the world to settle for platform limited and inefficient frameworks so that the industry can keep all the good stuff to itself.

I have very little doubt that in the long term Nokia will mess up and potentially even spoil Qt, that process has been initiated quite a long time ago, disguised as “fancy new goodies” that pretend to make our lives easier while gently encouraging us to walk away from using the low level facilities while giving Nokia at excuse to downplay the development and support of the good old c++ api, so we have even more reasons to abandon c++ and settle for the lousy qml+javascript approach.

I wish the good people of Trolltech can find some way to protect all their efforts from the ravages of corporate greed and if things continue turning for the worse, I hope they revive Qt as a truly open-source project no corporation will have the power to proprietize and drive into the ground like we’ve seen so many times already.

Paweł says:

Will the future releases of VS Add-in will be released by Digia for non-commercial version of Qt?

Philippe says:

Great, I was longing for a fix that is now done (QTVSADDINBUG-84)

Sylv says:

@Collins keep cool, AFAIK you can use MSVC compilers with Qt non-commercial

A happy commercial user who uses QtCreator on Windows 😉 using MSVC compilers.

Javi Moya says:

@Dian: 100% agree….

It’s hard to believe that the open-source community is going to maintain and improve QT in the same quality levels.
QT has been developed, over the years, by some of the more talented and skilled C++ programmers. With full (and well-payed) dedication. The quality of their documentation is excellent.

I hope that old Trolltech heroes, come to the rescue.

DeveX says:

Collins: Personally I use Qt Creator also on Windows side but understand that some like to be able to use VS. Feel free to use this VS add-in, Qt Creator or something else, whichever works for you.

Dian: Hmmm.. This blog post was about releasing latest VS add-in, how can it be turned to not supporting C++ APIs? But I do agree with you that Qt seems too good to be true =)

Javi Moya: I believe that current Qt-Project way of developing Qt openly by Nokia + other companies + community will be much better than Nokia/Trolltech developing it alone. Those talented C++ gurus & heroes have not left anywhere, they are just able to work more openly now!

By looking at what’s going on in Qt5 repositories and surroundings I can only be excited about the future, thanks!!

Dian says:

Deve – the blog is about releasing the add-in, subtly announcing its commercialization. Now, there have been a lot of releases of the add-in but so far there has been no announcements of its commercialization, which makes the announcement of the new version a mere disguise to wrap up the commercialization in a spoon of sugar to cover up the bitter taste of what is going on behind the scenes at Nokia.

This is not the first similar news, the announcement of Qt 5 also reveals plenty of worrisome facts hidden in between the lines that announce “promising new technologies”. Looking back, so was qml, bringing us that “niceness” which is what appears on the surface, but beneath the surface the manifestation of qml points at the long term crippling of the Qt c++ api. I get it, Nokia wants to lock in the c++ api and only give us access to the slow and inefficient qml+js it eagerly advertises and trains us to adopt at the expense of c++, and it totally makes sense the GLPL version is loaded with bugs that somehow are mysteriously absent from the same version of the commercial release.

This is from the “Responses to Qt 5” blog entry:
“The QWidget-based classes will not suddenly disappear”
This statement is designed to calm naive people down, but to me – a REALIST it speaks a totally different story. If the statement was “The QWidget-based classes will NOT disappear” – that would mean a totally different thing, but the statement as it is actually points out that the c++ gui classes WILL EVENTUALLY disappear, it will not be sudden but it will happen, yet another example of disguising negative news in a calming and reassuring candy wrapper.

What is uprising is people don’t really get it – with Nokia behind the wheel this is not just some possible doomsday scenario – the spoilage of Qt is inevitable and has already been initiated, and the little improvements made in the c++ api seem to be directed at making its isolation more rapid. I know I don’t speak for myself, I’ve seen plenty of people that DO WANT C++, people that are in for the power and performance it offers, people that do not want all the high level slow and inefficient stuff Nokia has been putting programming efforts ever since it got its greedy hands on Qt, a sinking ship trying to get hold of something good to stay afloat, dragging it down in the process.

Jörg Jörg says:

@qtnext, @Collins:
Nobody is taking away the open source version of the Qt VS Add-in.
If you’re afraid how Digia will handle the project, you’re free to
take the source and improve it.
Collins, have you reported that Qt Mobility for Windows build problem?

@Dian:
First of all, thanks for the praise wrt Qt’s quality!
But please don’t highjack random blog posts to spread your FUD.
If you’re concerned about the direction of Qt 5, you should discuss it
on the development mailing list of the Qt project:

@Pawel:
I cannot comment on this but I hope that Digia will announce their plans for the
Qt VS Add-in in the near future.

@Javi:
There are some very successful and high-quality open source projects out there.
And of course the Qt projects aims at keeping and even improving its quality.

Dian says:

Jörg – if there was a point in doing so I would, but I doubt personal consumer opinions have the power to direct corporate decisions. And don’t get me wrong, this is not about FUD, I wish for Qt to remain a good c++ library and improve on that, it is about my personal regret, based on certain observations on the direction of Qt lately (since the acquisition) that leave very little doubt. There is no uncertainly, there is no doubt and most certainly there is no fear, just the regret of watching yet another awesome product spoiled by corporate stupidity and greed.

Sure, there are many decent GUI c++ frameworks, the same applies to other areas as well, but a few years worth of searching do not seem to reveal anything remotely in the league of Qt when it comes to performance and portability. The uniqueness of Qt is the reason for my “rant” – heck if there were a bunch of comparable libraries out there I wouldn’t really care what Nokia does to Qt, so I do care, and not only for me but for all the many people out there who need a complete, portable and performing framework. Don’t mistake my objective criticism with FUD, which aims to derail and corrupt, I DO WISH for Qt to make it.

DeveX says:

Dian: What was said is that Digia will continue the development of this plugin and also offer commercial support to ones who want it. I don’t see any mentioning that the plugin would not be free in future…? Not that it would be that bad either since also Windows and Visual Studio are both commercial products.

For rest of your comments I pretty much disagree about all of them, sorry =) If you work on desktop applications and like QWidgets, feel free to continue using them with Qt5 or stay with Qt 4.x. I believe that all modularization, optimization, new rendering architecture etc. work will lead to Qt5 which 90% of current users and huge amount of new developers will (learn to) love!

Hi All,

As said in the blog post, the intention of Digia is to maintain the VS Add-In – also for open-source users.

Maintenance means that we keep it available for open source Qt users with roughly the same feature set, and keep it working as Visual Studio and Qt evolve.

We do have some plans to improve the integration with Visual Studio beyond the current level to address the needs of Qt Commercial customers. This is not taken away from the open source Qt users, but rather something additional we plan to create for our customers.

Yours,

Tuukka Turunen
Director, R&D
Digia, Qt Commercial

Acenes says:

As customer of the commercial version I am not worried about Digia taking further maintenance of VS Add-In, I even think that the future maintenance will be more safe and steady when it is backed by commercial. Currently I am using VS2005 with VS Add-In, Visual Assist and Ankh SVN plugins for a solution of +90 projects (exe’s and dll’s). As far as I see Qt Creator still has a long way to go to get on same lever for such projects as the Visual Studio Combo. I’m pretty sure there are many other commercial users with similar situation keeping Digia commited to it.

JubiluM says:

“WTF?!
Users who target Windows will have to rely on what? Creator?

How much further will Nokia cripple Qt for desktop?”

Reasonable questions.

So far I personally interpret the messages coming from Digia positive (thanks Tuukka), they seem to be motivated offering strong support and development for Qt desktop. And it’s ok if the commercial customers get the goodies first, they pay for it. As long as open source community is also given the love, as they (we) also play our part in improving this lovely software.

VS Add in and in general being able to work with different tool chain from Qt Creator is important for many desktop developers. Using Qt Designer and the favorite IDE of the taste is just a use case that cannot be dropped…there are boneheads that do not want to get it (or a political decision) and keep themselves busy removing important content from reference documentation (Qt Designer, qmake).

QML is interesting, but definitely it does not fit use cases where one wants plain and nice C++ and there are too numerous to mention. I’ve said it earlier and will be repeating myself, right way to do it is to support and develop widget Qt and QML, side by side. That’ll be a winner combination.

Philippe says:

Sylv, I’m curious, how do you use both QtCreator on Windows and MSVC compilers? Do you maintain 2 parallel projects?

KarlNapf says:

Philippe: Qt Creator works well with MSVC. It autodetects them when installed. Note that these compilers are only offered to you when you are actually using a Qt that was build with it, so you have to install a MSVC2008 build Qt to be able to use the MSVC2008 compilers. No surprise there I think…

Why would you need two parallel projects? You can use shadow building if you want to use both mingw and msvc (or even several versions of MSVC) with one project.

Carlos says:

@Philippe, if you have MSVC installed Qt Creator can use it for compiling the code. I think that Qt Creator is better for edit code, you need Visual Assist for Visual Studio to reach Qt Creator. Nowadays I think that Visual Studio is much better for debugging

Philippe says:

@KarlNapf and @Carlos
Thanks for your answers. Actually I much use VisualAssist and the MSVC Debugger, the VsAddin, as well as multi-core compiling (/MT) from Visual Studio (can QtCreator do this?). So I still don’t see the interest of QtCreator on Windows, though this is a nice application.
My only complaint is the absence of multi-core mocing.

Shiyu Tang says:

How about Qt eclipse integration?

@Philippe There is a compiler called “jom” which distributes your compiling process to all the cores.