Lars Knoll

Towards Qt 5.0

Published Friday September 7th, 2012
30 Comments on Towards Qt 5.0
Posted in migrate, Qt

It’s been now some days since we released the Qt 5 beta, and thus it is time to look ahead to what’s going to happen in the next few months and the plans for the Qt 5.0.0 final version release.

Moving to Digia

The first important thing is that the planned transfer of Qt from Nokia to Digia is anticipated to be finalized in Q3. I personally have also chosen to join Digia and continue my work on Qt from there. Having now had quite a few talks with Digia, I believe this is going to be a great opportunity both for Qt and for the development teams in Oslo and Berlin.

From all I can see, Digia has a solid, long-term strategy with Qt, focusing strongly on the product, pushing for Qt 5 and making Qt the best possible development tool out there. This is a large acquisition for Digia, which underlines how strategic they believe Qt will be for them in the future.

Digia wants to grow the Qt ecosystem together with other players in the market. They understand the importance of keeping that ecosystem unified. They also understand how important dual licensing is for the Qt ecosystem.

The teams planned to transfer from Nokia will be a significant addition to the business unit that is currently selling Qt Commercial. The people coming from Nokia are, to a large extent, developers and the former Nokia teams will actually form the majority of the development team in Digia.

Of course, there will be changes for the Nokia Qt people joining Digia, but I do believe that they will be changes for the better. These changes will include a broader focus on customer needs and a more immediate feedback cycle from our customers to development. This is something I’m personally looking forward to.

But some things are planned to stay the same. We aim to continue the strong focus on product development and pushing the boundaries of what can be done with Qt. Qt 5 is planned to be be the central focus of most of our work, both short and longer term.

Finalizing the Qt 5.0 release

One of the most important things to do in the short term now is to finalize Qt 5. The Qt 5 beta has now added binary packages for the main platforms, but it is still missing some pieces. We are aiming at including Qt Creator into the Qt 5.0 release and creating a package that is similar to the Qt SDK packages we have released for 4.x.

We had a workshop on Monday in Oslo trying to identify the work that remains to be done. Apart from general bug fixing a couple of items clearly showed up, and we will strongly focus on these for the next couple of weeks:

• Documentation

While the individual class documentation is in an OK state, lots of work remains to be done to tie it all together. We are lacking overview documentation, intros to Qt and the different modules, some getting started help and a good landing page. Making the difference between Qt Essentials and Add-ons clear, as well as cross-referencing between modules still requires work. We have now a team in Oslo that will focus on putting all of this in place.

• Examples and Demos

A lot of the existing examples in Qt have been there for a long time. We will go through the list and do a cleanup of the examples, probably removing a large part of them in the process and focusing on having a small but high quality set of examples available for Qt 5.0.

• Finishing and testing our reference platforms

This is mainly bug fixing and testing, but nevertheless extremely important. On some platforms we will need to do some more work than on others.

On Windows, we will change the default build to use ANGLE (OpenGL on top of DirectX) to avoid issues with bad OpenGL drivers and remote desktop. In addition this will make the Multimedia and WebKit integration easier and with improved performance. Of course, building against the regular desktop OpenGL drivers will still be supported.

On Mac and Linux, there’s also work required to finish the multimedia integration as well as many other smaller issues.

WebKit 2 and the QML module for WebKit have been disabled for the beta. The WebKit team is now very close to having this work on all reference platforms.

• Qt Creator

We are aiming at adding Qt Creator to the binary packages. The Berlin team will focus on making sure Qt Creator will work as smoothly as possible together with Qt 5.

• Packaging

Finally, we need to pull all the pieces together into a decent set of packages. What we have seen from the beta is that one can easily underestimate that part of the work, so we will need to have some extra focus in this area.

I would like to aim for a second beta as soon as possible, but only once most of the issues mentioned above are resolved. A realistic time frame for this second beta release is probably in around 4-6 weeks from now. After that we will quickly push for a release candidate and a Qt 5.0 final release.

Longer term

As soon as the team has moved to Digia, and we start having some time again in parallel to finishing Qt 5, we plan to focusing also on new things. Digia has already publicly communicated some areas they consider important, such as an Android and iOS support. In addition, the teams in Berlin and Oslo have been coming up with many good ideas.

We are now in the process of sorting through these ideas and prioritizing them. Our goal is to be as open and transparent as we can be about what we will be doing, as well as what we’re not going to do. In this way, we aim to avoid duplicating work and give everybody the chance to participate in the Qt Project.

Posted in migrate, Qt

Koh says:

希望Qt能一直走下去。它是我第一个接触的开发环境,也是我最喜欢的C++库,如果没有Qt,编程会少很多乐趣。

Wish Qt would remain strong and bold.

Steve says:

Great news, but somebody can update Qt SDK with latest qt 4.x and qtcreator 2.5.2?

Naoki says:

dit :salut les fans, les re9alisateursmoi je m’appelle Massyla je suis Se9ne9galaisj’aime Tiken Jah ses chansons me plnaiest franchement parle si je peux avoir ses chansons dans moi boite cela me fera surprise je veux ces chansons le0: ou veux tu que j’aille ; african revolution

Kaitsu says:

Thanks for the update Lars! And good luck to everyone switching to Digia side, I believe that you (and we as community) can make Qt5 stronger than Qt has ever been!

qtnext says:

Great to have some feedback from trolls !!! Hopes this will be the end of smoke and fog around qt 🙂

Regarding Windows Angle use and multimedia : do you plan to provide dxva acceleration for movie for the qt5 release ? I hopes because it will openg digital signage quick2 application on very low end windows computer …
w

Jason Barron says:

@qtnext: We’re trying to optimize the WMF backend as much as possible so that the path from the decoder to the screen (widgets and QML) is as optimal as possible and that implies using DXVA. I can’t guarantee that it will be 100% implemented for 5.0.0, but we are working on it!

Bob says:

Great news about Qt 5, but even greater to hear that you are staying with Qt 🙂

Sebastian says:

Thanks for the update and special thanks for the focus on documentation 🙂

Dragan says:

Great news, thanks for sharing. Is there a plan to release a MinGW based distribution for Win7?

Alan says:

This all looks very exciting. I am really looking forward to upgrading to Qt 5.0. (In the meantime, and as Steve mentioned, it would be nice to update Qt SDK…)

Charlie says:

Glad to hear you are staying!

Any word on the Australian guys – no way to keep them on board? Seems such a shame for them to leave Qt after all their contributions.

qtnext says:

@jason : it’s an incredible good news !! is there also hardware acceleration on linux (libvvaapi ?) working out of the box on qml ?
. do you plan to add loop property to video item to allow smooth looping movie (at least a “when end of stream” seek and play to start”…) ?

Lars Knoll says:

@Dragan There are discussions ongoing about which MinGW to use on the developer mailing list. Once that’s clarified we’ll also look into creating packages for it.

@Steve, @Alan Agree that it would be nice. But it’s unfortunately not as easy right now as I would like it to be. In addition, everybody’s pretty busy with 5.0 just now.

Alan says:

@Lars: this is completely understandable. I just hope that you guys will, for Qt 5.0, come up with only one deployment solution so that there aren’t people left behind because they went for the ‘wrong’ deployment solution in the first place… It seems like it might the case with your plan to add Qt Creator to the binary packages.

Albert says:

Well, I’m quite “new” to Qt, since I started using it an year ago. I hope that the transition will be good for the employees and that Qt will go on like it should, with its dual licensing and its strong community.
I also hope that we will hear soon about some plans for the Windows 8 segment, because the fusion between mobile and desktop that comes with WinRT I think that some work needs to be done (any plans to support that?).

Good luck to everyone!

Marcin says:

I can’t wait for Android (iOS too I guess) support, I really hope we can see some results in the near future.

vasu says:

Regarding documentation, is it possible to integrate C/C++ documentation into qt creator ? Some of us haven’t worked with C/C++ in while and want to get back into it.

Because that does not change as much, it should be easy to include in subsequent versions of Qt as well, or be made available as a separate download/plugin from Qt website.

Please keep up the great work.

piponazo says:

I can’t wait for the final Qt5 release. I’ve been using Qt for personal projects during many years, and now I use it for developing embedded applications at work. Long live to QT 😀

Gerald says:

@Steve: I’m using Qt-SDK 4.5.3 with QtCreator 2.5.2 and its ok (no problems).
I use 2.5.2 because “Class view” (here it would be nice to see the implementation and not declaration of a member function if clicked on this) and Completer/Intellisence.

kael says:

I am curious to know if you will be able to bring back some of the teams who were laid off, like the 3D team.

fonzi337 says:

I too am interested in the questions Charlie and kael brought up. Will the Australian Qt Quick team be picked up by Digia? If not, does Digia have a solid plan for on-going development of Qt Quick 2? It seems like a lot of the foundation for this great technology has been laid, but a lot of work still needs to be done to make it into a feature-complete UI framework.

I’m otherwise very excited to see things coming together for Qt 5 and beyond! 🙂

markc says:

I’m also interested to hear about what was the Brisbane team. Are they still onboard somehow?

Vadim says:

Congratulations on the Qt 5 beta! It’s been long awaited.

Question. (And i am not trying to be sarcastic…this question is genuine).
Why is such a big onus placed on Javascript for Qml2?

In my experience, a developer is most productive with the technology he is most familiar with. For most of us here, that technology would be C/C++.
Also, in my experience, working with scripts (>1500 LOC) is substantially more difficult than strongly typed, compiled languages (more structure, less errors that go un-noticed).

I guess the only benefit i see in using javascript is possibility of dynamic source code updates over the network (without having to restart the app) – any other advantages?

lpotter lpotter says:

@Charlie @kael @fonzi337 None of the teams from Brisbane – declarative, multimedia, location, systems, 3d, and sensors will be picked up by Digia.
Some of us plan to keep working on Qt, and others hope to with their next job.

I plan on remaining with the qt project and further develop sensors, sensor gestures, systeminfo and help out with d-bus and whatever bearer networking backends I have worked on in the past. (and isn’t it great we have the chance to keep contributing to Qt?)

I too am curious about who will continue this work or what Digia plans to do with these API’s. There are certainly quite capable engineers, but no doubt will take a bit of time to get the ball rolling. Hopefully, we will hear more of Digia’s plans once their quiet period ends.

lpotter lpotter says:

@Charlie @kael @fonzi337 @markc None of the teams from Brisbane – declarative, multimedia, location, systems, 3d, and sensors will be picked up by Digia.
Some of us plan to keep working on Qt, and others hope to with their next job. Some of us have already gotten jobs outside of the Qt world.

MNSz says:

I hope there will be mingw release ’cause visual studio is a mess.

Raseel says:

Great !! Maybe for documentation, examples or any other “low hanging fruits” you can engage the community.
I hope Qt , and especially Qt5, does become one of the most used libraries/platform/SDK in the world.

Josef says:

Hi, thank you for good news. I was a little afraid about Nokia > Digia trasfer. Well there is always something changing, in this case I believe to better future for Qt.
If I can please for something – better android support please.

Oliver Knoll says:

“We will go through the list and do a cleanup of the examples, probably removing a large part of them in the process and focusing on having a small but high quality set of examples available for Qt 5.0”

Please don’t remove the Tetris clone 😉