Tuukka Turunen

Qt 5.9.2 Released

Published Friday October 6th, 2017
29 Comments on Qt 5.9.2 Released
Posted in Dev Loop, Releases

I am very happy to announce that Qt 5.9.2 is released today. It contains all the latest bug fixes and improvements from Qt 5.9 branch. Among other improvements, Qt 5.9.2 contains all the bug fixes released with Qt 5.6.3 earlier – and many more. We have also included the new Qt Creator 4.4.1 in the Qt 5.9.2 offline installer packages.

As a patch release Qt 5.9.2 does not add any new functionality, focus is in bug fixes and performance improvements. Compared to Qt 5.9.1, the new Qt 5.9.2 contains close to 300 bug fixes and the total amount of changes since Qt 5.9.1 is over 1000. For details of the most important changes, please check the Change files of Qt 5.9.2.

Our intention is to make frequent patch releases for Qt 5.9 LTS. So if your most desired fix is not included in Qt 5.9.2 there will be more patch releases in the coming months.

If you are using the online installer, Qt 5.9.2 and Qt Creator 4.4.1 can be updated using the maintenance tool. Offline packages are available for commercial users in the Qt Account portal and at the qt.io Download page for open-source users.

Posted in Dev Loop, Releases

twan says:

Thanks for the update.

On minor glitch though: the link to “the Change files of Qt 5.9.2” goes to an empty page.

@twan: Thanks, link fixed.

Alan says:

Thanks a lot, Tuukka. At last, I should now be able to upgrade from Qt 5.6! 🙂

Alan says:

Well, I spoke too fast. I thought that one of the issues (I was hoping to see fixed in Qt 5.9.2) had been fixed properly, but clearly not (see https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-61742). So, back to Qt 5.6.2 for me (too much work to upgrade my project to Qt 5.6.3 and I have already tried to upgrade to Qt 5.9.x twice and I got beaten twice, so…).

Alan says:

Do we know when the Qt 5.9.2 compatible code for QtWebKit will become available? I can’t see anything at http://download.qt.io/community_releases/5.9/. In fact, I can’t see the QtWebKit code for Qt 5.9.1 either while it’s available for Qt 5.6.3, which was released a couple of weeks ago. (Just in case: yes, I know that QtWebKit has been dropped in favour of Qt WebEngine…)

Chris Clayton says:

qtwebkit-5.9.1 is available in http://download.qt.io/official_releases/qt/5.9/5.9.1/submodules/ and builds successfully against qt-5.9.2 (on linux).

Alan says:

Thanks a lot, Chris. I had already upgraded as much as possible using http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtwebkit.git/log/?h=5.9, but your link helped me to complete the upgrade.

AB1 says:

I’m sad there’s still no “Qt for MSVC 2017 32-bit desktop” even after the complains of the community… I know can be compiled, but could be acceptable for open source version users, not for commercial users.

Dan says:

I think you can just use VS2015 in the meantime if you don’t depend on a newer language features, since they are supposed to be binary-compatible.

Dan says:

It looks like I can’t install 5.9.2 over 5.9.0/5.9.1, is this going to be the path for all Qts going forward, i.e. the inability to update/upgrade the existing installation with only possibility to install them side-by-side with manual uninstalling?

Oliver Knoll says:

What do you mean, “going forward”? Qt releases were always installed side by side, at least since 5.0 (if not earlier already). Or did I miss something?

Dan says:

Well, not the patch-level releases, if I recall correctly. At.least 5.4.(x+ 1) and 5.5.(x+ 1) installed over 5.4.x and 5.5.x respectively.

I mean, even if right now you open Qt Maintenance tool Qt 5.5.1 and 5.4.2 are the single package (and update was delivered via update functionality). 5.6.2 too, but then it split on 5.6.3.

Thorbjørn Lindeijer says:

No, it used to be the case that for patch releases, like 5.7.1, installing it would automatically replace 5.7.0 (and the install location was in fact just “/Qt/5.7”. But since Qt 5.9.1, installing the patch release creates an additional directory “/Qt/5.9.1” and leaves the previous patch release installed. This makes upgrading more cumbersome, but of course allows to still use older patch versions when desired.

I’d personally also like to see some way that still allows easy upgrading on patch releases.

Dan says:

Since I’m not sure whether my previous comment is still pending approval or it is lost forever (this blog definitely needs some work, I don’t think I can even use my qt account here), I’ll summarize it: I meant patch-level releases. Before, it seems, 5.6.3 patches installed as updates over existing installation (as IMHO they should, since they shouldn’t break anything nor introduce new features). I.e. in Maintenance Tool Qt 5.6 is in fact 5.6.2. Bu since then it looks like every patch can only be installed as a separate entity. Doesn’t really make sense. I have no need for Qt 5.9.0 or 5.9.1 if there is already 5.9.2 out.

@Dan: There are pros and cons if a patch release would automatically install over the previous one. The current behaviour is intentional as in some use cases it is necessary to have e.g. both Qt 5.9.1 and Qt 5.9.2 installed in the same computer.

Dan says:

And what are those use-cases? Except the ease of testing/pinpointing some bug I don’t see any. Either the the patch introduces some bug/regression, so you don’t update, or it just fixes some things so you better update.

Alex says:

Genuinely curious: what might those cases be?

Examples of situations where two or more patch level releases are needed parallel are testing new patch release to determine if/when to update and having one version of the developed app done with one patch release of Qt and another version of the app with different patch release of Qt. Even though we try hard not to regress with patch releases, it is not possible to test all use cases. Therefore developers of large scale apps typically test quite carefully with new patch release before taking it into use – especially if the application is already in production.

raz says:

Could you please post the information about your macOS code signing somewhere on the official qt website?

I see that the .app has been signed by “Developer ID Application: The Qt Company Oy (A5GTH44LYL)”, but I have no idea if that’s the real Qt Company.

Dimi says:

Compiling my active project with 5.9.2 and running gives me no application window. The process is there in the task manager, showing 0% CPU usage and only 10 MB of ram.

It compiles with no errors or warnings. I don’t get any errors and warnings in the console during runtime neither. There is just no window and no activity whatsoever.

It works fine with every previous version from 5.9.1 all the way back to 5.7.

@Dimi: Please fill a bug report at https://bugreports.qt.io with detailed description and attach a minimal example to reproduce the issue.

Dimi says:

No can do. It happens only with my production code, it is a big and complex project and it is proprietary source code. I cannot yet isolate it and reproduce it in a minimal example.

There is absolutely no output or anything, not on the screen not in the console, not under a debug build. I also built 592 from source and the same thing is happening.

I went through the change list for qt gui and declarative, but couldn’t find anything that sounds like it could be breaking things.

The symptoms are however identical to the ones described here: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-56292

However I don’t have any of the conditions described to be triggering this in my code, and seeing how this is new in 592, this breakage has to be caused by some of the “fixes”…

Julius Bullinger says:

@Dimi: We’re actually facing the exact same issue. Application build with Qt 5.9.1 works perfectly (no compile- or runtime warnings). With 5.9.2 it compiles and starts, but no GUI is shown.

What are you system specs? We’re using MSVC 2017 on Windows 10, but the same happens with MSVC 2015. Are you also running MSVC?

@Tuukka: Is there anything else we can do when it’s not trivial to isolate the issue from a large, proprietary codebase?

Julius Bullinger says:

There’s a similar issue reported in QTBUG-63770.

Will says:

Maintenance tool has upgraded to Qt Creator 4.4.1 but 5.9.2 and 5.6.3 do not appear anywhere. (Neither under “Add” nor “Update”)
Linux version.
What have I done wrong?

iruis says:

qtwebengine failed on visual studio 2017 community.
QtWebEngineCore::initialize(void) is not contains dumpbin /exports qt5webenginecore.dll
initialize function is not export also implements in qtwebengineglobal.cpp, qtwebenginewidgetsglobal.cpp

Jörg Bornemann Jörg Bornemann says:

At the first glance this looks like QTBUG-63701. Let’s continue there.
If you don’t think that this is the same bug, please create a new bug report at https://bugreports.qt.io/.